PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting rotors refinished, what is the thickness new, and min thickness?

p3u
August 10th, 2009, 22:16
$60-80 a set is a heck of a lot less then $1000 for fronts!

August 10th, 2009, 23:01
i was woundering if that was possible im in need of new brakes soon but wasnt sure if these rotors could be turned. can they be turned?

DHall1
August 11th, 2009, 06:58
Search is your friend.

Both topics have been covered.

You can buy new rotors for 500 bucks. Front pads for 170 EBC Reds

I would not resurface rotors if they have more than 20k on them or deep grooves.

Search, search, search.

Bigglezworth
August 11th, 2009, 13:33
It should be cast into the rear of the rotors hub.

Yellow RS6
August 11th, 2009, 14:20
So they can be turned/refinished/shimmed? (There seems to be 10 different words for the same procedure -lol)

That's good to know, but I think the biggest problem is finding a shop to do it on drilled rotors. I've heard that drilled rotors can f up the machine used for resurfacing the rotors.

RS6-4dr911
August 11th, 2009, 22:44
Several thoughts:

1. The drilled rotors would only f-up a machine if they were using the wrong kind of cutting tool or if the machinist was an idiot. Most mechanic/brake repair techs are not machinists. You might want to find a machine shop to do this, probably the same cost but they'll do a better job of truing it up before they start cutting. It can be done on a lathe or a mill, best job I had done was when they used a milling machine with a fly cutter while slowly rotating the disc.

2. Critics of turning a used rotor say they will warp after being turned so only go with new.

3. Proponents say as long as you stay at or above the minimum thickness you'll be fine, I say if it wanted to warp, it probably already has, so a skim cut should give pretty good service compared to the cost of new rotors.

DHall1
August 12th, 2009, 04:12
^^ I agree 100%

kingofnyc22
August 21st, 2009, 20:07
I want to refinish my rotors but having trouble finding a place to do it.