PDA

View Full Version : Northeast RS6 Meet? Falll in NE

Finnus
August 21st, 2003, 13:21
With many people in the NY, NJ, PA and New England states taking delivery, we should start to seriously plan for a Northeast Fall RS6 outing.

A Sunday in late September/early October, somewhere in Southern New England might be nice. Perhaps meet in Cornwall, CT (Rt. 7, Western part of the state) & cruise up through Western, MA and even Southern, VT.

There's nothing like fall in New England ...

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

eph94
August 21st, 2003, 20:38
I would be up for that. If we take Route 7 through the Berkshires into southern VT, we'll pass my alma mater, Williams College!

nene
August 21st, 2003, 22:05
Count me in for sure!!!

btumble
August 22nd, 2003, 02:41
sounds good. As long as its somewhere without to many leafpeepers clogging the roads ;)

krm
August 22nd, 2003, 03:37
Originally posted by btumble
sounds good. As long as its somewhere without to many leafpeepers clogging the roads ;)

An early departure time is essential to beat the weekend traffic for meets (if it involves moderate spurts of spirited driving; not a surprise to RS6 drivers!)

I would be happy to help coordinate this and also volunteer to be a in car camera person if you welcome a non-owner enthusiast to the meet.

Here are some pics I took from some NY M5 meets which I helped coordinated over on bmwm5.com

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p26c5dfbf2c9202a8a2566e99e1e259ae/fd62e70f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p2179901ef83c5b35ded9810cafaa54cb/fd62ee3c.jpg

some more pics (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=338412#post338412)

/karman

Speedracer
August 22nd, 2003, 03:58
I'd be happy to do some digital video and stills also. Can I show up in my 911?

nene
August 22nd, 2003, 04:59
I think it would be great to have a few 911s and some M5s. It would be cool to get an E55 as well.
As long as everyone plays safe, I think this will be fun.

Finnus
August 22nd, 2003, 13:39
I think it would be great to have a few 911s and some M5s. It would be cool to get an E55 as well.

I agree. It might be nice to see some new S4s as well. I think any performance car would be welcome. In fact, any enthusiast whether they have an RS6, a performance car, an Audi or not is welcome.

I don't want to lose focus either. I want to emphasize that this is an RS6 event where all are welcome. It might grow beyond that, but for now ...

I would be happy to help coordinate this and also volunteer to be a in car camera person

KRM, thanks for the offer of assistance. I'll take you up on that. I'm sure others have good digital cameras as well.

As long as its somewhere without to many leafpeepers clogging the roads

That may be unavoidable. I don't think a caravan is going to be about speed.

If we take Route 7 through the Berkshires into southern VT, we'll pass my alma mater, Williams College!

The Mohawk Trail (Rt. 2) from Williamstown to Greenfield is a spectacular drive & we would drive by/through JJV-MA's alma mater, but it will be slow. I'll scope out some meeting places this weekend. There are some great drives North of Albany where I live, but I wanted to choose something more central considering PA, NY & NE. I would appreciate any thoughts.

e-mail me directly at bobbwf@aol.com (alos regarding dates - see next post) so we don't clog the thread up ...

Nelson, maybe you can represent Boston/Eastern & Northern NE, KRM NYC/PA & I'll represent Upstate NY & Southern NE?

Finnus :cheers:

Finnus
August 22nd, 2003, 13:44
How about 9/28, 10/5 or 10/12 (all Sundays)? You can e-mail me directly at bobbwf@aol.com.

Finnus

:addict:

eph94
August 22nd, 2003, 14:02
Originally posted by Finnus
The Mohawk Trail (Rt. 2) from Williamstown to Greenfield is a spectacular drive & we would drive by/through JJV-MA's alma mater, but it will be slow.

I love that drive too, but it WILL be slow with all the leaf peeping and very few opportunities to pass. Charlemont is the town to watch out for as the local police there love to catch the Route 2 speeders, but I have also gotten ticketed outside Charlemont. Ah, the college days.

nene
August 22nd, 2003, 16:53
Any of the three dates work for me.

2manycars
August 22nd, 2003, 22:50
I like the idea. I live in central NJ, and as long as I beat the traffic, it could be a lot of fun.

Finnus
August 25th, 2003, 14:54
I only received a few e-mails regarding the date, so lets shoot for Sunday October 5th (we might want to consider October 12th as a rain date). I thought we could meet about 11 AM and leave at 12 sharp. That would give people a window to arrive in.

I'm still checking out meeting places and drives.

Finnus

Speedracer
August 25th, 2003, 15:03
I thought we could meet about 1 AM and leave at 12 sharp.[/B]

????????:confused:

nene
August 25th, 2003, 17:22
October 5th is pencilled into my calendar. Sounds good, and count me in.

krm
August 25th, 2003, 17:43
Originally posted by Finnus

KRM, thanks for the offer of assistance. I'll take you up on that. I'm sure others have good digital cameras as well.

Nelson, maybe you can represent Boston/Eastern & Northern NE, KRM NYC/PA & I'll represent Upstate NY & Southern NE?

Finnus :cheers:

Finnus, I apologize for the late reply. As much as I like to represent the NYC/PA region to our meeting point, I reside in Manhattan at the moment and do not own a car. So I was hoping I can join in with one of the regional members en route to the destination. Nonetheless, I am more than happy to be involved with the group and help out in any way I can to ensure a successful meet.

btumble
August 25th, 2003, 19:20
Finnus,

Think I can make either of those dates, still some logisitics to work out though.

A friend (with a chipped S4) recommended route 7 between Bennington and Killington. I don't know how scenic it is but I do know he drives it rather fast ;). He drives NYC to killington every weekend so I can get suggestions for meeting spots if you are ocnsidering that area and need any.

Finnus
August 25th, 2003, 19:34
A friend (with a chipped S4) recommended route 7 between Bennington and Killington. I don't know how scenic it is

btumble,

That's a good suggestion. It's actually Bennington to Manchester, VT. After Manchester, Rt. 7 returns to an undivided highway. I've driven (rather fast) that stretch myself with no "interference". It just might be a bit farther out of the way for some participants. Perhaps that will be an optional last leg with some food & drinks at the Tavern at the Equinox (which has a nice large parking lot, too).

Finnus

Speedracer
August 25th, 2003, 20:17
You don't want Rte 7 north of Bennington . You will get very screwed around Manchester. I got a $175 ticket just for passing ( in a passing zone) with a motorcycle trailer. Besides the road is pretty much a 3-4 lane highway there, There are much better routes around Rte 100 from 11 East all the way to Stowe.
My 2 cents.
Speed

Finnus
September 22nd, 2003, 13:37
I envision this as more of a social event where we get to meet people we've been talking to for the last 6 months (or more) and a nice drive through Western New England during what will hopefully be peak foliage. I took the drive yesterday. It's a beautiful route and the trees are just starting to turn.

Everyone is welcome, whether you're an RS6 , VAG or any performance car owner/enthusiast. I hope we'll have some M3s & 5s, perhaps some S55 and E55 AMGs, and a Viper or two. I also think it would be great to have some S4s (hopefully the 2003s will have arrived!).

I wrestled with the logistics of getting people together from a fairly wide area. I ended up choosing a location that I think will be fairly central, easy to get to and a destination that is interesting to visit. Here's the plan:

Meet at about 10:30 AM just off of exit 2 on I-90, the Mass Pike (Lee/Pitttsfield exit), leave about 11:30 or so. This will give us some initial time to socailize and those coming from farther away some leeway.

Drive up Route 7 through Western MA and VT to Stratton Mt. It's 110 miles, so I'm figuring a 2-2 1/2 hour drive. We should be at Stratton about 2 or 2:30 PM, so if anyone wants to meet there, that's fine.

We can "caravan" to VT - caravan used loosely since it will be hard to all stay together (especially going through Pittsfield and Bennington) and those who choose to can drive faster (there won't be a lot of places to do that).

Lunch at Mulligans at Stratton Village, Stratton Mountain, VT. The gondola is open, there's a skate park (unsupervised) for kids, there's a spa (massage/facials) and some boutique jewlery and sports shops in Stratton "Village".

I figure we'll all go our separate ways late afternoon/early evening. Stratton is only 30 miles from Brattleboro, VT and I-91, so it should be easy for the Boston/Eastern Mass/Eastern New England crew to get home. I'll have some suggested routes to get back to NY/NJ.

Stratton is 17 miles West of Manchester, VT - outlet heaven (hell to Vermonters). So, if you need to appease a spouse, the fall foliage, spa, boutique shops and outlets should do it. There are also outlets right off of exit 2 in Lee, MA.

Equinox Mountain, the tallest in South Western VT, is about 10 miles South of Manchester. You can dirve to the top, although I don't think I would be willing to subject my RS6 breaks to the abuse coming down (I don't think they were designed for that kind of abuse). I drove it yesterday in my S4 and it was a pretty steep descent.

I've found a good place to meet just off of the Mass Pike and the Stratton Mountain parking lot has lots of space.

Details to follow ...

Finnus

Finnus
September 22nd, 2003, 13:42
I think we should plan on the following Sunday, October 12th as our rain date.

I'll only cancel if the 5th looks like it's a total washout.

Finnus

Speedracer
September 22nd, 2003, 14:46
Drive up Route 7 through Western MA and VT to Stratton Mt.

To get to Stratton from Rte 7 you get off in Manchester, take Rte 11 until the intersection of 11 and Rte 30, then take Rte 30.

Speed (or should I say) Unsafe Passer (see earlier post)

nene
September 22nd, 2003, 14:49
Great job Finnus. Looking forward to it!!!

john hulbrock
September 24th, 2003, 03:23
finnus
sounds great for Oct. 5th. may i suggest a very early start- I've been on quite a few drives with the M5 NY group and the earlier the better as far as traffic and enjoyment- many times we meet at 7 am and caravan once we all meet up- it usually takes at least 30- 45 minutes for everyone to show up then more time to organize , distribute the 2 way radios etc. If we meet at 11 am we won't get going until after 12 noon with all the traffic across the TZ bridge, etc.
jh

Speedracer
September 24th, 2003, 14:48
Who is planning to attend this and what will you be driving? Bringing any family members?
Speed

nene
September 24th, 2003, 21:02
I plan to attend, regardless of the meeting time, even if it becomes 7am.
I will be bringing 2 other family members.
Coming from Boston, MA.

eph94
September 24th, 2003, 21:17
If I can make it, I will be flying solo.

Speedracer
September 24th, 2003, 22:14
I will be coming from Westchester Cty, NY with my son (LUV2XLR8)
Speedracer

Speedracer
September 26th, 2003, 03:14
JH and I are making plans to meet up in Westchester County NY on the way. Any others coming from the south?

Finnus
September 26th, 2003, 12:23
I'll be coming from the Albany, NY area with a friend.

I'll be posting more specific meeting info over the weekend. I'll probably start a new thread under a simialr name.

Finnus

Erik
September 26th, 2003, 12:44
Please send me lots of nice photos.

If anyone can write a nice text we can put it on the main www.rs6.com page. Anyone?

Have a nice weekend everybody! :cheers:

Speedracer
September 26th, 2003, 15:33
I will have digital video and digital stills capabilities. Since I will be driving a Porsche I will be happy to document all you lucky RS6 owners. By the way, my car is still sitting at the dealership unsold after over 2 months.
Speedracer

Finnus
September 26th, 2003, 16:03
If anyone can write a nice text we can put it on the main www.rs6.com page. Anyone?

Erik,

I'll provide the write-up. If others can bring digital camera, that would be great.

:cheers:

Finnus

krm
September 26th, 2003, 17:26
I would love to join you guys, but I am carless in Manhattan. I would be very appreciative if someone allows me to ride with them on this meet. I'd be more than happy to take lots of pictures and to compose a writeup to help document the RS6's in action.

Speedracer
September 26th, 2003, 18:15
How about it guys? Get your car out into the country and take KRM with you!

btumble
September 26th, 2003, 18:22
Finnus, thanks for doing all the legwork. SOunds like a fun event. Unfortunately, I will have to miss it unless you get rained out. If so, see you on the 12th. If not, can't wait to see the pics. Have fun everyone!

Finnus
September 27th, 2003, 15:35
btumble,

I'm sorry you can't make it n the 5th. Are you sure you can't lure your wife up with the promise of a visit to the spa at Stratton or a visit to the outlets in Manchester? LOL

I have an idea for a spring meet & I'll make sure that date works for you.

Finnus

Finnus
September 27th, 2003, 17:18
In order to separate out the details and generate some more interest, I've started a new thread for our meet next Sunday.

Here's the link:

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2210

Does someone want to post an invite on the M5 board and link to this new thread?

Finnus