PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on an A6..

joedirt1
August 9th, 2009, 09:52
After much research I have decided I can not afford a rs6; I feel I would be in over my head.

This is the only Audi forum I belong to and was hoping you guys could provide your thoughts on two A6's I have found.

Basically it boils down to an Audi certified '04 2.7t, 50K miles.

Or a 2006 4.2 67K miles. No certification, no clear history. Thanks for any advice...I know, their not rs6's....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-06-A6-QUATTRO-4-2L-TECH-COLD-PCKG-PARK-NAVI_W0QQitemZ370240931759QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item56341447af&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=265720069&dealer_id=77511&car_year=2004&rdm=1249808075036&model=&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=__Mi43dA,,__&keywordsrep=050046055116&engine=6+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=300&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=AUDI&keywords_display=2.7t&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=16803&advanced=y&end_year=2004&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=268&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
August 9th, 2009, 15:37
I would say the 04 TT as it would allow you to modify in the future. Its easier to mod a turbo platform.

That said, the potential service costs from a C5 2.7tt are very close to a RS6. You really need the extended warranty.

joedirt1
August 10th, 2009, 04:31
Thanks for the heads up. So even if the 2.7t is a CPO I still should get an extended warranty?

I don't plan on doing any mods, next car I buy is staying the way that it is...I burned myself out modifying my Subaru.

Does the CPO even matter? I found a '04 2.7t with 38K miles not certified, or I can get one with 53K miles certifed. both are the same price...Does it matter which one I buy if I get an extended warranty? Both are in great shape.

ZCD2.7T
August 10th, 2009, 14:48
So even if the 2.7t is a CPO I still should get an extended warranty?

As the owner of a previously-CPO 04 2.7T S-line like the one in your link, I'd say that yes, CPO matters. I'm now out of warranty at 103K miles, but the CPO paid for lots of little stuff during my ownership of this car, and you can't beat the peace of mind. My experiences with aftermarket warranties hasn't been good, so I'd get CPO if I could.

As far as the C5 2.7T vs C6 4.2, they're quite different, so it all depends what you want. The 4.2 is quicker and faster when stock, but also less "playful" and much thirstier. The C6 chassis is definitely superior to the C5 in rigidity and smoothness, while which handles better is a matter of opinion. I can tell you that 90 mph in a C6 feels like 60 in a C5. Whether that's a good thing or not is again a matter of opinion.

HTH.

mmaturo
August 10th, 2009, 15:50
C6 period. Newer platform, better electronics, bigger engine (if you were considering an RS6 then 4.2 is at least going to be slightly fun. Get an aftermarket warranty anyway, you can buy a fidelity one through any Audi dealership which people are having good luck with. In the past (4 years ago) I had two cars covered by Warranty Direct and had no issues.

DHall1
August 11th, 2009, 07:04
After your note on no mods and the others idea to get the C6...they are both good points.

Drive a C5 and C6 then decide.

CPO only lasts 2 years. Audi/Fidelity can be purchased for up to 7 years. CPO does not transfer. Audi/Fidelity can transfer to new owner so it helps on resale or you can refund the unused if you trade in.

IMHO its Audi/Fidelity warr all the way. No brainer.

Thanks for the heads up. So even if the 2.7t is a CPO I still should get an extended warranty?

I don't plan on doing any mods, next car I buy is staying the way that it is...I burned myself out modifying my Subaru.

Does the CPO even matter? I found a '04 2.7t with 38K miles not certified, or I can get one with 53K miles certifed. both are the same price...Does it matter which one I buy if I get an extended warranty? Both are in great shape.

BenA
August 11th, 2009, 15:59
C6 4.2 Hands down for me. If you like the RS6, I think the C6 4.2 is going to be a closer match -- the sound and performance of the 4.2 is very good (I had the A6 4.2 sport package before my RS6)-- but as has been pointed out here, it's a very personal choice... try them both. If you were going to mod, I'd probably steer you to the 2.7 because you can ratchet up the turbo pretty easily. There's essentially nothing you can do (within reasonable budget) to mod the 4.2 drivetrain.