PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi RS6 Thunder from Downunder

RS6NZ
August 6th, 2009, 06:23
G'Day fellow RS6-ers

Just an introductory post from a long-time lurker. I've just passed my first birthday of ownership of a 2003 RS6 Sedan (Daytona Grey, on 19's) and thought I'd better do the decent thing and introduce myself to the forum.

Overall impressions are still of a massive love affair with this car, which was bought last year with 100,000 km on board, and has since done 35,000 km in 15 months :-) Tires are Bridgestone RE050A's which in New Zealand are way cheaper than Pirelli/Conti options.

So far I've experienced the expected run of RS6 foibles, including new disks and pads at 125,000 km, a split power steering hose, and thermostat failure. The thermostat failure was the most unpleasant surprise, in terms of the labour required to access the thermostat, and the associated timing belt replacement. Over 3 grand (NZ$) for replacing a $140 part was a bit steep...Transmission and DRC both seem to be OK (fingers and toes crossed).

The only other niggle is a leaking sunroof, that has had all the usual things tried (e.g cleaning drain pipes). I think one of the drain hoses from the sunroof gutter down the pillars has perhaps got a split or hole in it which will probably need removal of the roof lining to find the leak. Current solution is to use duct tape to seal the sunroof. Ugly but effective...Any other ideas out there?

The car's only other claim to fame is that it featured in the NZ Autocar test of the new RS6 last year. I happen to know the senior editor and got to do a back to back drive of the two - mine against the V10. Lucky me! I've attached a PDF of the article for anyone interested, it's accessible for download at http://files.me.com/rickede/wcb923

Looking forward to the ongoing sagas of fellow owners on the Forum.

Cheers mates,
Ric

gdavison
August 6th, 2009, 12:13
:0:

Nice article .. .and welcome

DuckWingDuck
August 6th, 2009, 13:43
welcome! I've got the bridgestones as well and I quite like them. They're not quite as much as the michelins but the savings, at least for me, isn't that big. Still, good tires.

Shoppinit
August 7th, 2009, 10:49
G'day Ric :)

Are there any good RS6 roads on the north island? Last time I was in Auckland I seem to remember running out of motorway pretty quickly...