PDA

View Full Version : Fan remains on for few mins

LIRS6
August 5th, 2009, 21:13
Ok, not trying to sound retarded or paranoid, but for the past 4-5 days the fan has continued to run, for a few mins only, after each use (typically 30 mins of driving). Now I know that the fan is designed to continue to run for cooling purposes, BUT - I have owned the car since new ('04) and it has NEVER done this before.

Facts:
Oil level is normal
Oil temp and water temp are normal (per instrument guages)
Driving in northeast with avg temps 85-90 degs
Normal driving
Occurs with or without use of aircon
Nothing visible restricting airflow into the engine bay

Any thoughts?

TIA

andrejs
August 5th, 2009, 21:31
Bad sensor somewhere perhaps? Although I assume that it would display the wrong temp on the gauges as well if that were the case.

mmaturo
August 5th, 2009, 23:33
Ok, not trying to sound retarded or paranoid, but for the past 4-5 days the fan has continued to run, for a few mins only, after each use (typically 30 mins of driving). Now I know that the fan is designed to continue to run for cooling purposes, BUT - I have owned the car since new ('04) and it has NEVER done this before.

Facts:
Oil level is normal
Normal driving

Any thoughts?

TIA

I'm thinking it could be normal....mine i have had for 4 years now and yep only two weeks ago after somewhat spirited driving but plenty of cool down time on a humid warmer evening (85) mine went off for the only time i have heard it besides track events too. Every part on my damn car has been replaced so i think it may be normal.

GEN XER
August 6th, 2009, 00:30
LOL!! Did you every talk with my contact about your warranty?

I'm thinking it could be normal....mine i have had for 4 years now and yep only two weeks ago after somewhat spirited driving but plenty of cool down time on a humid warmer evening (85) mine went off for the only time i have heard it besides track events too. Every part on my damn car has been replaced so i think it may be normal.

mmaturo
August 6th, 2009, 20:59
LOL!! Did you every talk with my contact about your warranty?

I tried...i sent her an email when you gave that to me but she never responded. I was quoted a very good deal from my dealer for 3/36 but they didn't have a payment plan and i simply do not have $4000 to plop down right now for it (but really wish i did as it was only a good offer for cars under 75K miles and i just pasted that).

RS6NZ
August 6th, 2009, 22:54

Facts:
Oil level is normal
Normal driving

Any thoughts?

TIA

Hi there. It could be your thermostat. Mine went a few months ago, and this was one of the signs. Water temps remained stable for several weeks after I started getting the cooling fan remaining on, but then water temp started to swing a bit more over time. I took it in to be looked at then and it was diagnosed as thermostat. Other signs were of the oil temp rising above normal but only by a few degrees, hardly enough to notice.

Be surprised for nasty surprise over cost if it is thermostat. The part is cheap, replacing it requires effectively same procedure as doing a timing belt replacement .

Good luck
Ric

R1
August 7th, 2009, 00:07
is thermostat not covered by warranty ?

Fonzie Audi
August 7th, 2009, 16:58
Mine did the EXACT same thing - and i needed to replace my thermostat. As soon as it was replaced - it stopped.

LIRS6
August 10th, 2009, 04:00
Be surprised for nasty surprise over cost if it is thermostat. The part is cheap, replacing it requires effectively same procedure as doing a timing belt replacement .

Good luck
Ric

Thanks for your input. Fortunately, I have my 75k service coming up soon which includes the timing belt.

cheers