PDA

View Full Version : Rear arches, sticky protective pad

gareth60
August 4th, 2009, 19:05
Hi all,

My rear arches seem to have taken quite a hammering from stone chips and i'm going to get them resprayed along with my front bumber and bonnet (must be the colour, as some chips seem to really show, blue with white undercoat). On the rear arches, there is a colour coded protective strip, does this just peal off and I can buy new?

Thx

HeadShot
August 4th, 2009, 20:18
Not sure if your talking about the clear stuff. If so Google " 3m clear bra RS6 ".
Not cheep but saves the paint. I'll probably get some peices after a repaint...

gareth60
August 4th, 2009, 21:24
Hi,

No, it's not that, I thought it was standard as both mine and the other RS6 I test drove had them.

I'll put up some pics when it's light.

Tx

ben916
August 4th, 2009, 21:36
The 3M clear bra stuff is probably your best bet but like Headshot stated, it is not cheap. Some have stated a color difference after an amount of time also.

There IS other 3M clear material that is nearly the same BUT is considerably thicker but not easily cut and really isn't for use on visible painted surfaces. It could be used on the inside lip or an edge that is prone to or has the potential for chipping.

I purchased this material in sheets about 10" X 20" x 1/16" (about the equivalent to 1.5 times the thickness of a US quarter) and needed to protect my headlights on my motorcycle. At that time, a headlight for a Ducati 916 was in the neighborhood of $900 US. As it was several complex curves, it took some stretching and a wooden spoon to encourage it into place. The wooden spoon was to ensure the gel coat was not scratched during installation.
It worked great and I did sell several to individuals and some to m/c shops. There was some bluing/fogging of the material due to the heat of the headlight but that was minor.

I am in the process of moving, yet again but will look for the remaining items that I still have, if you are still interested and take a photo of it and post it.

You can find a variation, not the same thickness of mine, at Griots Garage dot com and do a search there.

Lemme know

gareth60
August 5th, 2009, 08:59
Hi "Ben",

Thats very kind of you and I must admit, it's got me thinking. If I go though the cost and agro of getting my car re-painted, I might as well invest the time and money in trying to protect it.

I'll pop out to my works car park in a second and see if I can get a decent picture using my iPhone.

Thx

gareth60
August 5th, 2009, 10:11
Hi,

Just had a PM, which cleared it up (sorry, no pun intended) ..

Originally Posted by Corey
Hi,

I saw your post regarding the clear protection film.

Part numbers are
4B3 809 387
4B3 809 388

for each side and is about £9 per side from your local Audi dealer.

hope that helps.

DHall1
August 5th, 2009, 15:54
The pieces you have pictured on the rear archs are nothing more than some 3M Clear Bra.

If you want more coverage that goes up the fender arch further...(which is what I have done)....all you need to do is buy some bulk 3M Clear bra. Xpel.com

It takes about 15 minutes per side to stretch new film and trim a new piece that gives you full coverage over the arch. (again, did this on my own car. Took about 15 minutes and about 20 dollars of material.)

go to youtube and learn how its applied. Simple

ben916
August 5th, 2009, 18:05
Dhall1 has the right idea!

But in case you wanted thicker...
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenance/everyday+and+storage/headlight+shield+11%22+x+17%22.do?search=basic&keyword=headlight&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Barry
August 5th, 2009, 21:54
It is an Audi part, I had them replaced at the main dealer.

gareth60
August 5th, 2009, 22:29
Thanks guys, it's a thought actually as all my wheel arches (fenders?) are chipped. I'm going to get my bonnet, front and rear bumpers plus arches sprayed.

I have looked at 3M kits from the US that cover the front of the car, but I'm indecided.

I would however look at doing a custom fit for my wheel arches.

Dhall, do you have any pics?

Thx

DHall1
August 6th, 2009, 00:38
I do have pics.

Did you look at all the youtube vids on how to install? Very easy.

It may take me a day or so to post some pics. hang on

DHall1
August 17th, 2009, 04:46
pics of the front fender and rear flare

The rear flare 3M goes all the way down to where the stock 3M was located. I just peeled off the stock and put down this new piece. These 3M panels are dirt cheap when you buy bulk and you can always put new ones down if the old yellow or fade. The good thing is that the paint under is perfect.

The front comes down and covers the leading edge of the fender flare.

I have no chips on any flares, hood, headlights, fogs and bumper.

DHall1
August 17th, 2009, 04:52
Ahhhh, it was only 102 degrees today.

gareth60
August 17th, 2009, 13:26
Looks very good.

I havent looked on youtube yet, but is it easy'ish to fit?

I guess it comes in rolls and you cut it yourself to size.