PDA

View Full Version : Regular vs. Sound-enhancing exhaust

eph94
August 21st, 2003, 03:32
Did anyone notice a distinct difference between the two? I spent 5 minutes listening for differences and I couldn't pick it up. The only thing that I may have noticed was that the sound enhancing exhaust may have had a little "backfire" note to it, like Harleys, but even that I thought was in my head. Wife and sales guys also couldn't hear a difference. :confused:

At any rate, someone at my dealer didn't take delivery of his Avus RS6 so I snatched it up yesterday. I was stuck at MS-4 for weeks and getting restless. Will be taking delivery sometime next week as the car is getting prepped! :cheers:

Also, I saw a debadged Mugello Blue RS6 in the parking lot at the Great Bay Athletic Club in Newmarket, NH. Does that belong to anyone here? Very stealthy! :addict:

Benman
August 21st, 2003, 03:40
Originally posted by JJV-MA
Did anyone notice a distinct difference between the two? I spent 5 minutes listening for differences and I couldn't pick it up. The only thing that I may have noticed was that the sound enhancing exhaust may have had a little "backfire" note to it, like Harleys, but even that I thought was in my head. Wife and sales guys also couldn't hear a difference. :confused:
:addict:
that's the same difference i heard. must be in both our heads. it also seems to be just a touch louder from the inside. as from the outside it is pretty dang close:cheers:

Ben:addict:

avdh
August 21st, 2003, 08:11
Personally I believe that the Sport Exhaust does make a difference to the performance of the car and that for the US because of regualtions and what have you, Audi calls it sound enhancing exhaust and the strange thing is that it does not seem to enhance the sound much according to you guys.

Furthermore, I read in the local motor press, after a bunch of South African journalists were invited in May or June to sample the RS6 and the S4 in Germany, that "someone" at Quattro Ghmb" said that the current version of the RS6 does 4.7 seconds from 0-100 km/h and that they are now getting 4.6 sec. from 0-100 k with the sport exhaust.

If the exhaust does not make much aural difference, why would Audi bother if it also did not make any difference to the performance of the car?
Unless it's a scam and we are dealing with an unethical company, which I don't believe.

Finnus
August 21st, 2003, 13:15
at any rate, someone at my dealer didn't take delivery of his Avus RS6 so I snatched it up yesterday.

JJV-MA, Congratulations!!! Was that the color you originally wanted?

Also, I saw a debadged Mugello Blue RS6 in the parking lot at the Great Bay Athletic Club in Newmarket, NH. Does that belong to anyone here? Very stealthy!

I think it would be really deceiving to not just debadge the car, but also put A6/2.8 badging in its place (not for me, but if you'r egoing for stealth).

Unless it's a scam and we are dealing with an unethical company, which I don't believe.

Very funny

the current version of the RS6 does 4.7 seconds from 0-100 km/h and that they are now getting 4.6 sec. from 0-100 k with the sport exhaust.

I'll take a .1 second improvement as an added bonus for the option!

Finnus

:addict:

Erik
August 21st, 2003, 13:17
Congrats JJV-MA!

The difference in exhaust should be inside the car.

Outside it is already at the limit of what's approved.

eph94
August 21st, 2003, 13:46
Finnus, Avus was what I had originally ordered too. The three differences were (1) silver instead of ebony interior, (2) no sound-enhancing exhaust, and (3) rear side airbags. Frankly, the silver vs. ebony was a coin toss for me, so I am just as happy. As for the exhaust, I like the LOOK of the silver tips vs. the black tips, but I'm sure I would have liked the upgraded SOUND in the cabin, so in the end that was a push too. I didn't order the airbags, but I'll take 'em if it means I get into an RS 6 early!!

Erik, no wonder we couldn't detect a difference outside the car. We were all trying so hard to hear the difference while we would rotate stepping on the accelerator in each car and listen from the outside.

I can't wait to take delivery next week, but then I am going away for the long holiday weekend so the car will be sitting in the garage!! What is it with many of us going away after we take delivery? I feel like a kid the week before Christmas. I haven't felt this way, well, since I was kid!!

luckylady
August 21st, 2003, 16:11
I am a bit concerned...is there anyone out there that got the sound enhancing system, but still got black tips? I ordered sound enhancing exhaust, but my tips are black. How can I tell? It sounds enhanced, but I don't have anything to compare it to and my sticker says it's on the car. Please bear in mind...I'm not a mechanic!!! Thanks!

TheBrit
August 21st, 2003, 16:15
Originally posted by luckylady
I am a bit concerned
Black tips are the sound-enhanced (aka sports) exhaust option. Standard tips are shiny. :)

luckylady
August 21st, 2003, 16:36
Thanks Brit!!! That is what I was thinking - I mis-took the original post. I had my windows tinted - looks terrific! I'll be posting pictures soon.

Bauer
August 21st, 2003, 19:05
JJV-MA,

SOOOOO got a little impatient did we. Compleatly understandable as I did as well......I did not have the heart to tell you the other day. I am going write a review after break in so that I get the cars full potential. I hope you enjoy the car when you get it.

03 RS6 in a garage near me
01 S8
92 S4

eph94
August 21st, 2003, 20:31
Originally posted by Bauer
SOOOOO got a little impatient did we. Compleatly understandable as I did as well......I did not have the heart to tell you the other day.

Thank you for sparing me!! I was going out of my mind last week. All is well that ends well! :cheers:

stratmosphere
August 21st, 2003, 22:05
The way we understand it is that the sound enhancing system is a larger bore than the "normal" system. O.CT did see some power gains with the sound-enhancing system. Further gains yet from the Milltek catback which has a larger bore than the sound enhancing system. -Pete, Stratmosphere

2manycars
August 22nd, 2003, 22:54
Personally, I would have skipped the extra loud exhaust. The "normal" one has a nice enough sound, and my neighbors and wife wouldn't tell me it sounds like a motorcycle outside when I drive.

Erik
August 23rd, 2003, 09:45
Might be worth to add - UK mag EVO said they thought some of the exhaust options offered by tuners ruined the car i.e. no stealth and that some of the exhasut just were too loud, and also changed the sound quite a bit.

If you've seen the MTM video that was around you know what I mean.

stratmosphere
August 29th, 2003, 17:33
The MTM, monster loud as reported by EVO Mag. The Milltek is not like that. We have a couple of customers up here running the Milltek. -Pete

gmbh6
August 29th, 2003, 19:51
...c'mon everybody.....we want the beast too "look" stealthy but we want it to "sound" like a big block chevy :addict:

nene
August 29th, 2003, 20:18
From lots of folks in my office, the ones that I've talked to, they all said wonderful things about the sound of the car.
The car is still stealth as far as I'm concerned even with the sound enhancing exhaust.
It's a V8 under the hood, and it's hard to hide some of the wonderful sounding power.

It's not as if it sounds like a 'fart can' exhaust!

gmbh6
August 29th, 2003, 23:32
Originally posted by nene
It's not as if it sounds like a 'fart can' exhaust!

:D :D

JAXRS6
August 31st, 2003, 09:20
I may be the only buyer of non-enhanced exhaust at my dealer, and the sales manager agreed there's not much difference, if any -- not because the enhanced sounds puny, but because both sound grrrreat! "The option isn't worth the price," he concluded after hearing my car growl.