PDA

View Full Version : RS6 - Changing spark plugs / fuel filter, easy ??

gareth60
July 31st, 2009, 22:44
Hi all,

Is changing the spark plugs and fuel filter on a RS6 a difficult job? Just noticed on my latest service it suggested they were replaced.

Thx

V8weight
August 1st, 2009, 00:16
Both are pretty straight forward. For the plugs you have to remove the air cleaner assembly, and a few evap tubes on the passenger side valve cover to gain access to the coil packs. For the fuel pump you will need a triple square socket to remove the aux. fuel pump bracket. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact size off the top of my head. The fuel filter is located on the passenger side of the car right in front of the fuel tank above the aux. fuel pump. You need to remove the fuel pump bracket and move the fuel pump off to the side to gain access to the filter. I hope this helps. If you plan on doing your own maintenence on this car go buy a set of triple square sockets, and make sure you have torx and allen sockets as well.

hahnmgh63
August 1st, 2009, 01:08
As V8weight said, plugs fairly easy, after removing the air cleaner assembly you need to unplug and unbolt each coil and pull the coild, there are two hold down bolts on each coil. You will need an extension and I believe a 5/8" sparkplug socket with the rubber donut inside to hold the plug is needed.
For the fuel filter, it can be a pain in the ass. I've done two RS6's and on one of them, the triplesquare bolt's backing nut turned loosely and there was no way to get a wrench on the back. I think it is easiest to loosen the filter clamp, remove the filter with the hoses on it as the other ends of the hoses are easier to get at. Standard precautions with a drop light in the area apply as fuel will spill from the filter and a little from the fuel lines. It will be much more difficult with only jack stands instead of a lift. The filter hose clamps use either 7mm or 6mm sockets which is easier I believe than using a screwdriver.

snoopra
August 1st, 2009, 01:45
When I did mine, the backing nut came loose also (plastic bracket and square backing nut:doh:, silly Audi) so I had to cut the bolt and use a heavy duty tie-wrap during reassembly. Worked like a charm. You may want to saturate it with WD-40 or similar product before attempting removal.

gareth60
August 1st, 2009, 08:59
Thx guys,
Which spark plugs did you use?

I think for the fuel filter, I'll wait till it's on a lift to change, but I'll do the sparks and air filter myself. Already just done the oil.

Thx again

hahnmgh63
August 1st, 2009, 15:31
I used Denso Iridiums as there were a lot of people on other lists raving about them but after the install they seem the same as stock and after reading more on Denso's website, they have a shorter change interval than the stock NGK's and are within $1 per plug so I think next time I will go back to the NGK's.