PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: RS6 with bad trans and/or bad motor

SteveKen
July 24th, 2009, 15:42
Does anyone have a line on one of these in the US?

Please PM or email me.

Thanks,

Steve

DHall1
July 24th, 2009, 19:13
I would also be interested if its on the west coast.

Hy Octane
July 24th, 2009, 19:37
All RS6's have bad tranny's and potential motor problems. Should be an easy find...

SAF
July 24th, 2009, 20:22
All RS6's have bad tranny's and potential motor problems. Should be an easy find...

I know that was tongue in cheek but that's certainly not an accurate assesment. Besides, as an owner, you should be trying to portray the positive side of these Beasts! (as resale values need all the help they can get ;))

DuckWingDuck
July 24th, 2009, 22:04
hehe, none of us have lost any value until we sell the car! Which is probably why Ben and I will never sell our car :D

Hy Octane
July 24th, 2009, 22:38
Not really tongue in cheek.
Car was in shop for 3 weeks. Got a new tranny at 58k miles..
Had several other broken things fixed. Cost almost $15k..
Had car back 1 week.
Leaking coolant seals in the oil cooler.
One more week and $5k..
Thats 20k in repairs in one month..
Lets see If I can get one week or so out of it before it breaks again..

SAF
July 25th, 2009, 00:29
OUCH! My condolenses.

snoopra
July 25th, 2009, 02:25
hehe, none of us have lost any value until we sell the car! Which is probably why Ben and I will never sell our car :D
+1, NEVER :D:rs6kiss::heart:http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-cool-smileys-262[1].gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/get-smileys-huts-free-smiley-code/88.html)

V8weight
July 25th, 2009, 03:12
+1, NEVER :D:rs6kiss::heart:http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/free-cool-smileys-262%5B1%5D.gif (http://www.smileyshut.com/get-smileys-huts-free-smiley-code/88.html)
Whoa, where did you get the "peanut butter jelly time" smiley? Is that new?

peiserg
July 25th, 2009, 04:43
Had car back 1 week.
One more week and $5k..

I would keep track, but my list of things has grown longer than my memory..

Leaking tranny fluid (8k miles on odo!)
Stuck AC switch (7k miles)
Broken fuel sender unit
Broken brake sensor
torque converter
N75 valve
wiring harness failure
telescoping steering wheel now fails occasionaly
headlight washer broke (I think from the factory.. previous owner had never used it)

at least.. my drc never failed!
\
but damn.. when all systems are go.... i love that car!!!

snoopra
July 25th, 2009, 06:06
Whoa, where did you get the "peanut butter jelly time" smiley? Is that new?
Found on the net:jlol:

alpinab7
July 25th, 2009, 06:28
Then I don't have to listen to it on youtube
Had car back 1 week.
One more week and $5k..

DuckWingDuck
July 25th, 2009, 19:17
Then I don't have to listen to it on youtube

Excellent opportunity to whip out the video that I took in '07!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_GYHpj8cT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_GYHpj8cT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SAF
July 25th, 2009, 22:42
Oh man, that sounds nice.

MrBucket
July 26th, 2009, 00:11
Excellent opportunity to whip out the video that I took in '07!

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_GYHpj8cT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
I did the same thing but RS4 instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_tt8enLJ0

Hy Octane
July 26th, 2009, 03:07
Well, No such luck. Went down this morning to start her up and she's sitting in a huge pool of oil..

Whats next? Locusts?

V8weight
July 26th, 2009, 05:08
I'm sorry to hear that. This is definitely the most frustrating car I have ever owned. In 8 months of ownership it has spent 14 weeks in various service departments to the tune of $15000 paid out by warranty and I think somewhere around $3500 out of pocket. I just can't help but think for what I paid for this car I could have my S4 avant daily driver and sedan as well to modify for track use. Oh well, I've never been defeated by a car yet, and I'm going to stick it out. I do love it when it's running. If it makes you feel any better, I put 150 miles on the clock today, only to have the cel come on as I pulled in the driveway. Probably just my weekly small evap leak though.

mmaturo
July 26th, 2009, 05:15
Had car back 1 week.
One more week and $5k..

Probably not...in last 6 weeks my car has been in 3 times for the same exact problems they were supposed to fix and new ones so I agree...

3rd trans (4tc) went in 3 months ago,

2 air bags in last 4 weeks as senders failed and new one after two days...so right back for second one.

My 4th set of control arms in (not a typo) 30K miles is going in on Tuesday, after they did stabilizer bar and links...third set in 30K miles last week and that didn't fix the clunk...I drove off the lot and right back on it 5 minutes later and got back in my loaner before they even moved it. I drove the tech around again and he agreed that as i told them when i brought it in that it was a control arm again...

Fuel senders just replaced this past week after they took it home themselves...then they believed me that gauge was wrong finally, after I brought it in twice for it and they dismissed me.

Gauge cluster 3 weeks ago with last air bag fix and first fuel gauge complaint...they thought this would fix it...nope, by the time i got it home i knew it was still wrong and made appointment.

3 months ago while trans out an oil leak fixed on valve covers, and pulley at timing belt.

1 DRC this year (January, 2nd set), Steering pump 4 months ago just before trans went...

They had my car 2 weeks in Feb, the ENTIRE month of April, 3 weeks of June, 2 weeks now of July...

But my motor is fantastic and does run great when i have it...car has 76K on it and my CPO ran out this past Wednesday hence making sure they fix everything now. Brave new world i am headed into...hopefully not the 20K a month kind.

Love the car immensely but is annoying.

hahnmgh63
July 26th, 2009, 07:12
I'll knock on wood then. After almost 3 years of ownership and 25K I've added to it (53K total), mine has never been in the shop. I do all of my own Maintenence and have all of the parts for the control arms as it is time (sad that they're needed at 50K).

Clubsport
July 26th, 2009, 07:44
I'll knock on wood then. After almost 3 years of ownership and 25K I've added to it (53K total), mine has never been in the shop. I do all of my own Maintenence and have all of the parts for the control arms as it is time (sad that they're needed at 50K).

Same for me with 275 000 kms......:addict::rs6kiss::race:

RobertV
July 26th, 2009, 14:30
Well, No such luck. Went down this morning to start her up and she's sitting in a huge pool of oil..

Whats next? Locusts?
Sorry to hear that Paul. You sure are one trooper to stick with this beast after all you have been through with Audi as a whole. Hope the $20K was not out of your pocket. Good luck and hope you baby stops bleeding oil soon!

SteveKen
July 26th, 2009, 14:55
So, back on to my original post. It seems that the original response that finding a broken RS6 should be easy, is not at all correct?

I'm still looking and not having any luck.

Since most of them are coming off of warranty, maybe it shouldn't be too hard in the near future??

I've got a 6 speed kit nearly complete and I'm anticipating that there will be a market for a 6 speed conversion once folks aren't worried about voiding their warranties. It's most likely going to be a more robust setup than the tippy trans, too.

Hypothetically, I'll throw it out there as a teaser. What would someone be willing to pay for the following kit:

01E 6 speed trans (beefed up and geared properly for the RS6)
Accompanying rear end
Prop shaft
Front axles
Wet & Dry clutch / shifter items
Misc wiring
Custom engine/trans adapter
Custom starter
Properly coded ECU
Mounting hardware
Trans cooling delete items.

Eventually I'm going to start a new thread for this, but I'm hoping for some initial feedback.

Clubsport
July 26th, 2009, 15:45
what do you mean by "accompanying rear end" ?

SteveKen
July 26th, 2009, 15:50
what do you mean by "accompanying rear end" ?

This is where I show my lack of experience, but I'm pretty sure if you put a 6 speed in the RS6 and keep the stock rear end (ring & pinion), the front wheels will spin at a different rate from the rear wheels.

By "accompanying" I mean that the front diff must match the rear diff. Please correct me if I'm wrong here?

Clubsport
July 26th, 2009, 17:02
No, you are right, but the ratio on a O1E and on the rs6 gearbox is not the same. On the 01E, 40 km/h for 1000 rpm and 50 km/h for 1000 rpm on the rs6. The output shaft on the 01E must be replace to keep the same top speed on the rs6.

Shoppinit
July 27th, 2009, 18:14
I've got a 6 speed kit nearly complete and I'm anticipating that there will be a market for a 6 speed conversion once folks aren't worried about voiding their warranties.

I agree 100%. A decent manual conversion is bound to be sought after, especially since no one seems to want to repair the tiptro units, just replace them lock, stock and barrel. I'd be interested, but not at MTM prices ;)

SteveKen
July 27th, 2009, 18:46
I'd be interested, but not at MTM prices ;)

What is MTM charging?

I've heard that they swapped blocks and internals to make it happen. I'm not sure how they did this because the upper oil pans are different among other things. Once you open up the rod and main caps, unless you're MTM, it's very difficult to find replacement internals, etc., too.

My R&D has yielded an adapter that will replace the OEM 01E transmission spacer and not add to any length of the drivetrain. This makes swapping things much easier. My current project/prototype uses all the components from an A6 2.7T 6 spd car.

I had the trans and engine block CMM'd and laser scanned for the adapter design, so the precision should be where it needs to be. I just wish I had more time to work on this.

As for pricing, the 01E trans is anywhere from $2800 to over $6000 depending on the source, (new/used) and options. Then all the other goodies . . .

Shoppinit
July 27th, 2009, 18:49
I think clubsport is best equipped to answer this question, since it seems from his signature that he's got the only manual RS6 made by MTM.

Clubsport
July 28th, 2009, 16:11
I think clubsport is best equipped to answer this question, since it seems from his signature that he's got the only manual RS6 made by MTM.

I think you are wright......:incar::jlol:

scottmandu
July 29th, 2009, 22:11
This is where I show my lack of experience, but I'm pretty sure if you put a 6 speed in the RS6 and keep the stock rear end (ring & pinion), the front wheels will spin at a different rate from the rear wheels.

By "accompanying" I mean that the front diff must match the rear diff. Please correct me if I'm wrong here?

The Rs6 rear diff uses a 4.11 Ring And pinion which happens to be the same ratio as the 01E front crown and pinon gears.

What is MTM charging?

Last I heard 20,000 Euros

Clubsport
July 30th, 2009, 08:03
I know, because I saw it with my eyes and I took it in my hands, that the output shaft in my 01E is a special one.

Shoppinit
July 30th, 2009, 08:58
I believe you. There's an interesting youtube video about the MTM clubsport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Wf4K7a0kI

Clubsport, how did they get around the TCU/ECU problem since the RS6 ECU is only designed for auto boxes?

Clubsport
July 30th, 2009, 11:13
YES, it is my car....:incar::rs6kiss::jlol:

Fir the tcu/ecu problem, they make a totally new ecu which is the GUMPERT appolo development ecu......:mech:

Shoppinit
July 30th, 2009, 11:44
That's probably part of the reason the conversion is so expensive, although I wouldn't be surprised if MTM didn't make any profit on that conversion. I presume it was bosch who did your ECU.

In any case, the clubsport looks and sounds fantastic. Did you get the dent out of the back wing after he slid into the snow bank? :)

Clubsport
July 30th, 2009, 22:20
In any case, the clubsport looks and sounds fantastic. Did you get the dent out of the back wing after he slid into the snow bank? :)

the clubsport sounds really fantastic. When I Took the car at the airport, it was perfect : http://roc-racing-historic.fr/Livraison%20RS6%20MTM%20Clubsport%202008.htm :love2:

Shoppinit
July 30th, 2009, 22:30
So when are you selling it? :p