PDA

View Full Version : So, A5 or A5 Sportback? Which one do you like better?

pampas
July 20th, 2009, 11:20
Now, since plenty of pics and even some videos showed up with the new Sportback model, what do you think?

I have an S5 now and I love it, but also the new Sportback looks good, maybe not as good as the S5 (in my opinion) but it's a great designed car for a 4-door coupe; probably the best the auto industry has.

What do you think, with the prices a little bit lower than the regular A5/S5, and with 2 usable doors more accessing the rear seats (which should have more legroom over the A5), will it eat the sales from the A5?

The Pretender
July 20th, 2009, 11:39
The A5/S5 Sportback will sell like hot cakes.

S6V10Avant
July 20th, 2009, 12:57
Personally I am not that impressed. It looks nice from the raised rear 3/4 shoots, but from the side and from the front 3/4 it looks like an ordinary 5 door (hatchback), not a coupe. The A5/S5 looks much better.

crespo
July 20th, 2009, 16:25
The Sportback looks great for a 4-door coupe, but it doesn't match the A5's traditional two-door lines. The A5 is a future classic. The Sportback looks great as well, but it's too trendy/gimmicky/quirky to truly be considered a classic.

A5 for me (I drive one, so I may be biased :p)

Leadfoot
July 20th, 2009, 16:44
The A5/S5 Sportback will sell like hot cakes.

It would sell a lot better if it had 5 seats. :vgrumpy:

The Pretender
July 20th, 2009, 17:10
It would sell a lot better if it had 5 seats. :vgrumpy:
It's the same with the Panamera, only two seat's in the back.

ZCD2.7T
July 20th, 2009, 17:44
Both are beautiful examples of their genre.

If the S5 Sportback were available here in the US, it would probably be my next Audi.

JavierNuvolari
July 20th, 2009, 18:24
People....you're gonna have to forgive me but the Sportback looks terrible IMHO, it's like the bastard child of the A4 and the A5 that was exposed to pesticides during pregnancy, simply hideous(again, IMHO). I rather have the A4 for convenience/looks.

Leadfoot
July 20th, 2009, 18:53
It's the same with the Panamera, only two seat's in the back.

Yeah I know, but the Panamera is out of the price bracket I would wish of putting into a car, unlike the Sportback.

The Pretender
July 20th, 2009, 19:04
The S5 Sportback would most likely be seen at the IAA Frankfurt.

KresoF1
July 21st, 2009, 06:45
IMHO whole vote point is little bit out of the place...

Why? A5 Sportsback is aimed at different costumer then A5 Coupe. Personally, I like both. Coupe is almost true classic, one of the best looking Audi's.

If you have small family(say, one child) then A5 Sportsback is perfect solution. A5 Coupe is aimed at pairs or singles(or a second car in family).

Last thing-A5 Sportsback is IMHO the best looking 5 door car in its segment.

Leadfoot
July 21st, 2009, 07:12
IMHO whole vote point is little bit out of the place...

Why? A5 Sportsback is aimed at different costumer then A5 Coupe. Personally, I like both. Coupe is almost true classic, one of the best looking Audi's.

If you have small family(say, one child) then A5 Sportsback is perfect solution. A5 Coupe is aimed at pairs or singles(or a second car in family).

Last thing-A5 Sportsback is IMHO the best looking 5 door car in its segment.

Not entirely sure I agree with that opinion, maybe the marketing guys believe that to be the case but the reality is that the Sportback will rob sales from both the A4 saloon/avant and the A5 coupe simply because it's better looking than the normal A4 versions and not that far removed from the A5 coupe.

The only thing that is for sure is that not offering five seats has saved the A4 from a huge drop off in sales because most people if they were totally honest would much prefer to drive around in a coupe look-a-like than a plain ordinary saloon/avant.

One thing I do know is that I am looking at shifting away from the coupe idea to something with 4 door and if the Sportback had have catered for my three kids I would be jumping at this option of car, but as it is it will most likely be an S4 in either form. Not my number one choice but life is always full of compromises. :looking:

Ruergard
July 21st, 2009, 07:31
So far the A5, have to see the Sportback in person before I can really decide. But damn it looks good on pics!

The RS6
July 21st, 2009, 16:16
SportBack for me, for my next car I'll probably need some extra space and another set of doors so this could be it...

Wonder what that would look like in let's say... sprint blue? :-o

chewym
July 22nd, 2009, 04:26
Not entirely sure I agree with that opinion, maybe the marketing guys believe that to be the case but the reality is that the Sportback will rob sales from both the A4 saloon/avant and the A5 coupe simply because it's better looking than the normal A4 versions and not that far removed from the A5 coupe.

The only thing that is for sure is that not offering five seats has saved the A4 from a huge drop off in sales because most people if they were totally honest would much prefer to drive around in a coupe look-a-like than a plain ordinary saloon/avant.

One thing I do know is that I am looking at shifting away from the coupe idea to something with 4 door and if the Sportback had have catered for my three kids I would be jumping at this option of car, but as it is it will most likely be an S4 in either form. Not my number one choice but life is always full of compromises. :looking:

The A5 Sportback starts at around the price of the top of the line A4 with S Line. This price difference should keep the cross shopping to a minimum.

The RS6
July 22nd, 2009, 07:39
The A5 Sportback starts at around the price of the top of the line A4 with S Line.

Are you sure about that? I read the sportback will actually be cheaper that the coupe...

KresoF1
July 22nd, 2009, 12:22
Are you sure about that? I read the sportback will actually be cheaper that the coupe...

You are right, A5 Sportsback is cheaper then A5 Coupe.

roadrunner
July 22nd, 2009, 12:51
I was thinking about another Avant when the replacement time comes - but after this - i have to think again.

Will keept the final judgement until i have seen it @IAA.

From what i have seen till now: A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro S-Line Lava looks like a very promising combo :hihi:

AndyBG
July 24th, 2009, 22:27
A5...
...call me traditional! :)

youry
July 25th, 2009, 16:13
not surprised to see the results of the poll...A5 all the way...