PDA

View Full Version : Imola Yellow RS6 on track.

DHall1
July 19th, 2009, 02:27
I have never seen an Imola Yellow Avant. I like it.

Nice look at how the car reacts on the track. I wish the driver was alittle better but you can see the car is quite stable even driven poorly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9Nz_QTmu8&feature=related

DHall1
July 19th, 2009, 02:37
Funny vid, this guy can drive the Avant alittle better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S9ifBv0Duo&feature=related

V8weight
July 19th, 2009, 06:41
That car looked very stable, yet it also gives you a glimpse at how heavy these things really are. He was having a hard time shaking that old 3 series in the corners. Still, cool videos, RS6 is still the king of the straightaway, regardless of the pilot:addict:

V8weight
July 19th, 2009, 06:47
There's a lot of local Audi club members trying to get me to bring the RS6 out to track events and my response is always "naw, this thing is kind of a barge". Then there's always the one guy who says, "Well I track my S8 and I actually get pretty decent lap times out of it". It's funny because the Rs6 is actually like what, 700lbs heavier than the S8?

Jani
July 19th, 2009, 15:05
RS6 can be really fast on the track, it is not a barge like you'd think, if DRC is working. Give it a try.

Bigglezworth
July 19th, 2009, 15:52
I have never seen an Imola Yellow Avant. I like it.

Nice look at how the car reacts on the track. I wish the driver was alittle better but you can see the car is quite stable even driven poorly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9Nz_QTmu8&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9Nz_QTmu8&feature=related)

Driver of the Audi was no where as agressive with Avant as he could have been. He's missing a large quantity of the apexes and not carrying as much speed out of the corners as he should be. It's also clear the driver following is more agressive and you can tell as he scrubs the tires to beat hell - not a great sign in my books.

A few things this video doesn't tell you is whether or not the Avant is stock and what the modification level (assumed on my end) is of the car chasing.

There's a lot of local Audi club members trying to get me to bring the RS6 out to track events and my response is always "naw, this thing is kind of a barge". Then there's always the one guy who says, "Well I track my S8 and I actually get pretty decent lap times out of it". It's funny because the Rs6 is actually like what, 700lbs heavier than the S8?

Might surprise you to know:

2009 Audi S8 - 4586 lbs
2009 Audi RS6 - 4350 lbs

2003 Audi S8 (only 300 in North America) - 4068 lbs
2003 Audi RS6 (1500'ish in North America) - 4024 lbs

All sedan models

V8weight
July 19th, 2009, 16:08
All sedan models[/I]
Oops, I was way off. That will teach me to try and post after drinking one of those Newcastle mini kegs :hihi:

roadrunner
July 19th, 2009, 19:28
Driver of the Audi was no where as agressive with Avant as he could have been. He's missing a large quantity of the apexes and not carrying as much speed out of the corners as he should be. It's also clear the driver following is more agressive and you can tell as he scrubs the tires to beat hell - not a great sign in my books.

If you look up Peugeot 106 Rallye http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_106 than you know the car, that follows. With 100hp stock, it hangs in there quite remarkably. The RS6 driver is taking a sunday cruise it seems. To step on the paddle on the straight, does not require any skill. You probably could train a monkey to do it. After the first three bends his margin evaporates.

DHall1
July 19th, 2009, 19:48
Pat,

If you plan well and pick the track that best suits the RS6...you will have fun. Dont waste your time with a parking lot autox but more a medium size track with longer corners and higher speeds. Compare and contrast the yellow avant and the black avant on how they take the corners. Black avant is doing a good job.....yellow avant is using brakes only after the turn-in on many corners. This shows you that the yellow car is no where near the speed it could be entering the corners.

If I can get around to it....I want to pick up another set of track day or driving event day wheels and tires. Then I would enjoy the RS on driving event days.

V8weight
July 19th, 2009, 20:31
Pat,

If you plan well and pick the track that best suits the RS6...you will have fun. Dont waste your time with a parking lot autox but more a medium size track with longer corners and higher speeds. Compare and contrast the yellow avant and the black avant on how they take the corners. Black avant is doing a good job.....yellow avant is using brakes only after the turn-in on many corners. This shows you that the yellow car is no where near the speed it could be entering the corners.

If I can get around to it....I want to pick up another set of track day or driving event day wheels and tires. Then I would enjoy the RS on driving event days.
All true, It would be nice to have a dedicated set of track wheels and tires, I don't like the thought of wearing out multiple sets of PS2's a season. We actually have a pretty good track right here in MN, Brainerd intl. speedway has a 2mile straight away. I have no intention of tracking the beast until I find my avant daily driver though. It would just give me a little better piece of mind knowing that I don't have to drive it to work on Monday.

Jani
July 20th, 2009, 07:19
It is difficult (or impossible) to find track tyres with correct load rating for the RS6. If you do find them you will most likely strain the car more due to slightly higher speeds.

I run the car as everyday driver, and track it 3-4 times per year. All you ideally need is one extra set of PS2's, the Phaeton ducts + better fluid and a race pad.

DHall1
July 20th, 2009, 21:28
Very good points. To clarify my post. I dont want to tear up new PS2 for driving event days. So, I may purchase another set of rims and street tires that are not so expensive to run on DE days.

I would not run slicks or R compound tires for the RS6.

It is difficult (or impossible) to find track tyres with correct load rating for the RS6. If you do find them you will most likely strain the car more due to slightly higher speeds.

I run the car as everyday driver, and track it 3-4 times per year. All you ideally need is one extra set of PS2's, the Phaeton ducts + better fluid and a race pad.

dwarfboy
July 20th, 2009, 22:23
Very good points. To clarify my post. I dont want to tear up new PS2 for driving event days. So, I may purchase another set of rims and street tires that are not so expensive to run on DE days.

I would not run slicks or R compound tires for the RS6.

Why is that?