PDA

View Full Version : Wondering, possible to do a S6 to RS6 conversion?

p3u
July 12th, 2009, 22:12
If I were to purchase an S6, would I simply be able to remove everything drive train related, interior, etc from my RS6 into the S6, and vice versa, or would this require custom work in order for proper fitment?

:rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
July 12th, 2009, 23:55
I'm sure there's going to be custom work that's required...

mmaturo
July 13th, 2009, 00:25
someone was actually doing this. Saw it posted before on here or the old Audiworld.

youry
July 13th, 2009, 00:44
If I were to purchase an S6, would I simply be able to remove everything drive train related, interior, etc from my RS6 into the S6, and vice versa, or would this require custom work in order for proper fitment?

why to do that ?

DuckWingDuck
July 13th, 2009, 01:05
I'm wagering that he's thinking about putting the C5 RS6 into the C6 S6....

DHall1
July 13th, 2009, 02:10
C5 RS6 sedan swap drivetrain into C5 S6 Avant.

92% swap and bolt in.
8% semi-custom work. Hammer and dolly to the floorpan.

Done.

DuckWingDuck
July 13th, 2009, 02:16
ya, I'm with dave; i'd swap rs6 into an avant before i'd throw it into an s6

kingofnyc22
July 13th, 2009, 06:16
Yeah looks like most of the stuff will fit right in. I was thinking about doing that with my s6. You know you can import RS6 avants into US.

DHall1
July 13th, 2009, 06:59
Nope, didnt know that you could import a C5 RS6 Avant.

Tell me more about the process?

Yeah looks like most of the stuff will fit right in. I was thinking about doing that with my s6. You know you can import RS6 avants into US.

p3u
July 13th, 2009, 07:00
ya, I'm with dave; i'd swap rs6 into an avant before i'd throw it into an s6

Thats what I'm refering too, since we have no RS6 avant in the US. Its a way to make one :incar:

Duma
July 13th, 2009, 13:36
in norway or sweden(dont remember) they convert a4 b6 into rs4 b7

LIRS6
July 13th, 2009, 14:27
Thats what I'm refering too, since we have no RS6 avant in the US. Its a way to make one :incar:

Another way, as someone I know did it, is to use the ass-end of the S6 and swap it in for the rear of the RS6. His came out beautifully, but I don't know what the cost was.

mmaturo
July 14th, 2009, 05:05
Another way, as someone I know did it, is to use the ass-end of the S6 and swap it in for the rear of the RS6. His came out beautifully, but I don't know what the cost was.

That's the one i was thinking of.

DHall1
July 14th, 2009, 05:14
I gave up on my idea to swap a S6 Avant driveline and build a Avant RS6.

Everything would take a dive in value. I mean nothing would be worth a penny. VIN#s and engines would not match. There would be trouble with the DOT if there was an inspection.

Give up.

Then that new supercharger came out for the S6 4.2. Thats when the gears got going again. If I do this....it will be to supercharge a 4.2 S6 and then add some RS6 trim to the S6. There is my next car. Thats if our Supercharged LX470 ever gives up. :rolleyes: Its not looking like any time soon and people with clean S6 units think they are made of gold and asking RS6 prices for a used S6. :doh:

Toepincher
July 14th, 2009, 13:30
New to the forum. Have owned my Daytona Gray RS6 for just a month now. If I did it correctly attached to this message should be a pdf file with the entire text of the the NHSTA's approval to allow importation of RS6 sedans and RS6 Avants that did not originally conform to our nation's safety standards.

The notice indicates the original petitioner, VW's comments, petitioner's response and what the NHSTA's mandated had to be done to the vehicles for a Registered Importer to certify them.

DHall1
July 14th, 2009, 16:41
Well,

That is quite a first post. Who are you and how did you get this?

I like this idea and we should start a new thread on how to import a RS6 Avant.

New to the forum. Have owned my Daytona Gray RS6 for just a month now. If I did it correctly attached to this message should be a pdf file with the entire text of the the NHSTA's approval to allow importation of RS6 sedans and RS6 Avants that did not originally conform to our nation's safety standards.

The notice indicates the original petitioner, VW's comments, petitioner's response and what the NHSTA's mandated had to be done to the vehicles for a Registered Importer to certify them.

kingofnyc22
July 15th, 2009, 05:03

There are a few RS6 avants in US.
Shokan has one for a few years now.
There was another one for sale.

They legalized import of RS6 avants into US about a year ago so no more gray market. So find one in europe and bring it here. You can legaly register it.

http://www.autobahnexotics.com/Images/rs6avant/rs64.jpg

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2009, 05:06
I think this Phoenix one is Paul Walker's fake RS6...

kingofnyc22
July 15th, 2009, 05:10
http://www.shokan.com/images/rs6/money7_2_small.jpg

this is the one shokan has.
More info.
http://www.shokan.com/rs6_avant.php

DHall1
July 15th, 2009, 07:20
Reading that DOT paper...there seem to be several upgrades that need to be performed before passing.

Can you expand on who has done this and what exactly needed to be changed on the car?

Can a RHD car be imported?

There are a few RS6 avants in US.
Shokan has one for a few years now.
There was another one for sale.

They legalized import of RS6 avants into US about a year ago so no more gray market. So find one in europe and bring it here. You can legaly register it.

http://www.autobahnexotics.com/Images/rs6avant/rs64.jpg

kingofnyc22
July 16th, 2009, 00:35
Reading that DOT paper...there seem to be several upgrades that need to be performed before passing.

Can you expand on who has done this and what exactly needed to be changed on the car?

Can a RHD car be imported?

I didnt get into it that much so i cant realy help you with that.

allwheelsdriven
July 31st, 2009, 05:40
this is sort of a similar project: http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=15292&cat=71

scottmandu
August 4th, 2009, 03:45
http://www.shokan.com/images/rs6/money7_2_small.jpg

this is the one shokan has.
More info.
http://www.shokan.com/rs6_avant.php

That was a nice car, I bid on it when it went to auction as a flood/salvage vehicle. I'm surprised the interior made it it was rather moldy.

The RS6 avant is not legal for import unless it's federalized. The list is rather long but you'll have to do the following:

Change seats (The recaros were never crash tested)
Change headlamps (they don't meat DOT)
Change bumper bars and bumper shocks front and rear
Modify seat buckles and airbag system to energize no seatbelt light.
Install appropriate VIN stickers, airbag stickers, and fuel requirement stickers.
Install Teather strap latches in back seat.
Install DOT spec rear view mirrors
Perform emission certification test
Make sure tires and glass are DOT approved.
Pay a truck load of money to have all this done and the appropriate inspections.

Converting an S6 to RS6 is also a rather lengthy and expensive process essentially requiring a complete RS6 to do the converion. The firewall needs to be swapped meaning significant body work, as does the battery tray, all wiring harnesses, fuel tank, engine/transmission, rear end, front suspension, fuel lines, the list goes on and on.....

SteveKen
August 4th, 2009, 14:52
I still have intentions of doing this conversion, but the current economy has diverted most of my project funds.

My initial goal was the following:

Combine my 2002 S6 with the RS6 powerplant and an 01E 6 speed.

My current goal is the following:

Combine my 2002 S6 with the 01E 6 speed. I hope to have this done along with the RS6 front and sides in a month or two.

As many of you may know, the 01E and RS6 block were not meant for each other, but I'm very close with my adapter design and I intend to keep looking for an RS6 with blown motor or transmission to put this "kit" into.

For now, though, just a 6 speed S6:( Engine goes in this week, btw.

Incidentally I obtained my RS6 motor and many other RS6 components from a parts car of Scott (one post above) at Advanced Automotion.

Scott, I'm not sure what you mean by bodywork on the firewall, though. I was under the impression that the A6 4.2, S6 and RS6 had nearly identical bodies???

scottmandu
August 4th, 2009, 14:58
Incidentally I obtained my RS6 motor and many other RS6 components from a parts car of Scott (one post above) at Advanced Automotion.

Scott, I'm not sure what you mean by bodywork on the firewall, though. I was under the impression that the A6 4.2, S6 and RS6 had nearly identical bodies???

Nearly identical might be a stretch, the firewall differs where the coolant hoses pass through and there are alot of pins and studs for the head shielding that isn't there on the S6. There are also a few mounting points throughout the body that are missing as I recall.

SteveKen
August 4th, 2009, 16:54
Yes, this doesn't surprise me after seeing all the extra cooling efforts, etc.

Is there an RS6 specific heater core, too? 3 ports instead of 2?

scottmandu
August 4th, 2009, 17:06
The heater core is the came, however the 3 ports going through the firewall are to accommodate the heater core, and the expansion tank that is mounted where the battery used to be.

DonS
August 5th, 2009, 02:24
Check out this stripped 2002 RS6 Avant in Germany:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=119415279&__lp=12&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&makeModelVariant1.makeId=1900&makeModelVariant1.modelId=28&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Car&segment=Car&siteId=GERMANY&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT&customerIdsAsString=&lang=en&pageNumber=1

If the link doesn't bring you to the actual car, change to English in the upper right corner and do the usual Audi RS6 search. It is the lowest priced RS6 listed.

ChasL
July 20th, 2012, 19:04
Toepincher-Did you import your RS6. You mentioned you owned it for only a month at the time of the post, so I was curious to know if it's an Avant and you brought it in to the US.

kismetcapitan
July 20th, 2012, 23:42
that's just great. wonderful to see how accommodating the NHTSA is to modifying cars for import...as long as it doesn't say "Skyline" on it.

RHD is an interesting question. The NHTSA stance on RHD is that in and of itself it is perfectly safe and legal - look at all the US Post Office vehicles with RHD. But when a steering wheel is on the right side, the headlights are aimed in a different way, and that has to be changed. I must admit I grew to prefer having the steering wheel on the right side of a car. Particularly with manual transmissions, once you get used to it, it just seems to make more sense, particularly if you are right-handed.

UrS6
July 21st, 2012, 14:02
You can not do the work. A Registered Importer from NHTSA site must be used. I have looked into it before.

ChasL
July 21st, 2012, 14:24
UrS6 are you talking $20k above and beyond the vehicle price, because you can find them for $16-$18k USD right now for the 2003's. If you're talking about doubling the price it's far beyond cost prohibitive, and now into the eccentric IMHO. You can buy the RS6 engine for like $7k and put it into an S6 Avant which may be an easier road....

UrS6
July 21st, 2012, 15:20
UrS6 are you talking $20k above and beyond the vehicle price, because you can find them for $16-$18k USD right now for the 2003's. If you're talking about doubling the price it's far beyond cost prohibitive, and now into the eccentric IMHO. You can buy the RS6 engine for like $7k and put it into an S6 Avant which may be an easier road....

From a registered importer regarding importing an 04 rs6 that is in the US already so no shipping involved (an 03 might be a little cheaper but I've enquired about several cars over the years and $15k has been the cheapest quote):

"Generally speaking Audi tries to block every single petition and dot tries to delay or squash them. Could take six months to a year or more to petition if they fight. Also conversion for EPA and dot could range from 18 to 25k depending on parts and agency fees. Both agencies would have to agree to the conversion in writing prior to conversion and we would have to fix customs declarations."

ChasL
July 21st, 2012, 15:34
Yeah, I don't need that kind of headache in my life! Perhaps I'll try guessing the right 6 numbers and import a 2010 RS6-if I'm going to dream I should dream big right?! BTW-do you have an 04 RS6 Avant, or did you simply inquire about one? If you have one, let me know if you ever get tired of driving it! Have a great weekend~

UrS6
July 21st, 2012, 18:12
Yeah, I don't need that kind of headache in my life! Perhaps I'll try guessing the right 6 numbers and import a 2010 RS6-if I'm going to dream I should dream big right?! BTW-do you have an 04 RS6 Avant, or did you simply inquire about one? If you have one, let me know if you ever get tired of driving it! Have a great weekend~

The car in question is an 04 sedan (that was imported about 3 years ago but not properly....long story). I'm not sure how an avant would be to import but it couldn't be any easier than a sedan. I do have a US 03 RS6 now. The only cars I would ever attempt to import would be something over 25 years old. You can just bring it right in. A C6 RS6 might be possible but I would suspect it would be very expensive. There are only a few registered importers that do newer style euro cars. And it is a very bureaucratic process.

ChasL
July 21st, 2012, 18:46
UrS6 isn't every process bureaucratic once you get the gov't involved! Funny thing is there are 2003 RS6 Sedans here and the Avants can't be that different. Oh, well I'm either going to pick up a 2003 S6 Avant, or a 2007 A6 Avant and supercharge it. It's not the same, but it seems like a far more economical option to create a very sporty family friendly grocery getting sleeper station wagon for use in the states. Is your 03 an Avant or sedan?

UrS6
July 21st, 2012, 20:06
UrS6 isn't every process bureaucratic once you get the gov't involved! Funny thing is there are 2003 RS6 Sedans here and the Avants can't be that different. Oh, well I'm either going to pick up a 2003 S6 Avant, or a 2007 A6 Avant and supercharge it. It's not the same, but it seems like a far more economical option to create a very sporty family friendly grocery getting sleeper station wagon for use in the states. Is your 03 an Avant or sedan?

Mine is a sedan. US version. I think the S6 is easier to convert to a 6 speed, too if that matters.

ChasL
July 21st, 2012, 20:49
Mine is a sedan. US version. I think the S6 is easier to convert to a 6 speed, too if that matters.

Thanks for the tip. I've become somewhat partial to the paddle shifters in my old age as I drive more out of necessity these days and far less for the pure enjoyment of driving. With a family of 5 gone are the days of taking a winding drive through the back roads of Norther CA. I'm now driving just with commutes & kid stuff-ergo the paddle shifting as my last bastion of sporty driving until we're empty nested!

G2
October 4th, 2013, 18:01
Couldn't help but say I've thought the same thing. Have a C5 S6 Avant visiting for awhile and of course the RS6.......

Korben007
October 5th, 2013, 17:09
This is a project I am getting ready to take on soon. I have a very nice well running S6 avant. And a decent shaoe 03 RS6 sedan. It runs well, has low miles and a salvaged title. It should provide everything I need for the swap/coversion.

There are 2 ways you can do this. First is if you are trying to make an exact replica of the avant. It will definitely be the more difficult route, but is great if you are leaving it stock and doing a full oem setup.

The second is my personal choice that is just to use the majority of the parts to do the conversion but add in all your aftermaket goodies and upgrades. Also if a particular part is to difficult to convert and can be left s6 spec then no problem, or find an aftermarket alternative to stick in there that will do the job. Im sure my conversion will involve some aftermarket coolant lines etc.
Which ever plan you go with for me the hardest part will be to get the electrical systems all working properly. Especially when you putting a manual in at the same time!