PDA

View Full Version : ESP and ASR

S6V10Avant
July 7th, 2009, 08:58
Why does not Audi allow its customers to switch of the ESP and ASR systems completely? For the competitors BMW Ms and Mercedes AMGs they let you do this, even if they are not 4WDs. Audi S and RS cars are 4wd, thus more "safe", and still we are not able to enjoy the cars "in full float". Furthermore, the Audi Motor Sport heritage is from rallying, where full 4wd drift is a key element.
From my perspective this is a very negative aspect of the Audi S and RS cars, especially as my country is covered with snow 4 months each year.

Additionally, if you try to left foot brake (which is not uncommon for AT or keen drivers) the engine is cutting for 1-2 seconds, which especially in the winter season, can be very dangerous, if driving on the limit (as it often results in massive understeer).

My only experience is from the S6 Avant with the 5.2 V10, and upon buying this car one criteria was the availability of the ESP/ASR switch-off button. It did not turn out to deliver in accordance with the brochure specifications or salesmans information on this topic.

I hope the new RS5 will be supplied with a fully functional "all-off" feature with respect to ASR and ESP, and let you apply some left foot brake, without engine cut. Afterall the RS5 could, in my view, by the first proper Audi in many years, with some of the old rallying heritage in its DNA. Not to mention a blown engine..

Any other views on this topic?

pampas
July 8th, 2009, 13:40
Engine cut is there to stay, I think. I don't understand why, since nobody is crazy enough to break down the cars intentionally, and unintentionally nobody will press both gas&brake pedals.

On my S5 ASR comes off after a quick press on the ESP button; but if I hold the button for 3 seconds both ESP&ASR go off. I am sure it's like that on any newer Audi, including yours. I don't feel any ESP going on when it's set OFF, the car goes like crazy spinning everywhere, you can easily do donoughts if you desire (and if wet/sand/snow, not enough power and too much grip for dry). I have tried a few times and the cars feels good, raw, with no electronics interfering. Maybe I am wrong and just don't feel it? But I don't think so.

S6V10Avant
July 8th, 2009, 20:51
My car is the same , 2 stage ESP, but still the electronics interfer. It can easily be detected when driving agressively in the snow. I would prefer the stage two mode to allow the driver full freedom.