PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding the tranny possible? And who to do it?

p3u
July 3rd, 2009, 20:11
Just wondering if it's possible to rebuild the tranny, and improve upon it? I know a modified torque converter can be done but what of the tranny as a whole?

Also who offers such services in the US (not level 10 lol), preferably in the western region?

Thanks!

DuckWingDuck
July 3rd, 2009, 21:41
IPT? http://www.importperformancetrans.com/ I think someone mentioned them before as a viable option.

p3u
July 3rd, 2009, 21:53
Someone on here has had them do an RS6 tranny?

DuckWingDuck
July 4th, 2009, 04:41
I think there was talk, don't know if anybody actually went through with it.

Benman
July 6th, 2009, 01:01
Also who offers such services in the US (not level 10 lol), preferably in the western region?

Thanks!

So I take it that Level 10 is a no go? Crappy work?

Ben:addict:

freebase
July 6th, 2009, 01:39
I had Level 10 do mine and it works fine. They did the removal and installation as well without removing the engine. At the same time, I had them install the Miltek downpipes.

DHall1
July 6th, 2009, 01:52
But "everyone" says Level10 are junk and cheats. I guess we need to make "everyone" prove those statements.

Level 10 has done me well on 2 cars.

That is all that I know.

DuckWingDuck
July 6th, 2009, 02:04
I had Level 10 do mine and it works fine. They did the removal and installation as well without removing the engine. At the same time, I had them install the Miltek downpipes.

How is that possible? You need to lower the entire engine/transmission combo don't you?
:vhmmm::vhmmm:

freebase
July 6th, 2009, 02:32
Duck, that's what I though too. The manual and the dealer, both, said you must drop the engine tranny combo. Level 10 laughed at that and said we do A6, S6, and A8's all the time. When I explained that this wasn't just any ole' A6, Level 10 replied with we've done RS6's as well without dropping the engine.

When I had them do mine, they said that the owner was in Germany training on the latest Audi and Merc Trannys. He also claimed that they have a contract to do some Prince's personal cars and military vehicles in the middle east somewhere.

groupbq
July 6th, 2009, 03:04
I had IPT modify the valve body on my S6, and it does shift more crisply. Supposedly it increases the clutch clamping force. They provided prompt service and seemd very knowledgable about ZF trannys.

Benman
July 6th, 2009, 23:23
Good to know some here have had good experience with Level 10. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

p3u
July 6th, 2009, 23:36
I had IPT modify the valve body on my S6, and it does shift more crisply. Supposedly it increases the clutch clamping force. They provided prompt service and seemd very knowledgable about ZF trannys.

How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

kwtrev
July 7th, 2009, 00:44
I will be having my transmission replaced with a rebuilt tranny (courtesy of my aftermarket warranty, thankyouverymuch).

Question: as of this writing the car is unmodified. Would anyone recommend a few beefier parts, while the thing is in pieces? Programming, TC, etc? Might be worth the bucks, yes?

Thanks, Ken

groupbq
July 7th, 2009, 01:57
How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

It was not cheap at $779 + shipping, but it did improve the shifting to an acceptable level in my opinion. I was previously considering selling the car due to it's lazy shifting characteristics, but with the modified valve body, an updated TCU, and 00032 coding, it is now very good.

vangelis
July 7th, 2009, 13:03
It was not cheap at $779 + shipping, but it did improve the shifting to an acceptable level in my opinion. I was previously considering selling the car due to it's lazy shifting characteristics, but with the modified valve body, an updated TCU, and 00032 coding, it is now very good.

may I ask what is the "00032 coding"?

Shoppinit
July 7th, 2009, 19:21
YOu can see what the coding corresponds to here:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/codingtransmission.html

DuckWingDuck
July 7th, 2009, 22:42
so random anecdote, I was down at my dealership today hanging out with my tech and he swapped out the transmission of a S4 without lowering the engine. Not to say that they're that similar but another data point.

groupbq
July 8th, 2009, 00:14
may I ask what is the "00032 coding"?

And here is some additional TCU code information:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=14747775

I am not sure if anyone has tried recoding an RS6 TCU, but the codes seem to be valid for many of the Audi ZF 5 speed autos.

kingofnyc22
July 8th, 2009, 04:45
I think rs6 already coaded with 00032.

Back to the tipic.

Most of the companies i know are located in east region.

You have level 10, IPT, VAST has TC. There is one more but i cant remember.

hahnmgh63
July 8th, 2009, 05:20
Just checked and recoded my RS6. Mine was coded with the 00002 and I just went to the 000012 to give it a try. If I want more then I may try the 00032. I'm wondering if the N.A. cars are recoded slightly softer than the Euro cars? I had heard this rumour once before.

p3u
July 8th, 2009, 11:39
So how do you recode the tranny? Can I do this with my vag com, and if so how?

What is stock setting, and a good setting to use on our beasts? Also, is this the same as what the TCU flash does?

hahnmgh63
July 8th, 2009, 14:25
Use Vagcom and go to the Automatic transmission module and on the right side you will see the module for coding. Just open that up and see what code you have. If you have 00002 coding like I have give the 00012 or the 00032 coding a try then just click on recode, confirm, then your good to go. I'm going to take my RS6 to work this morning (22mile drive) so I'll see if I can tell any changes.

p3u
July 8th, 2009, 18:17
I'll try that out this afternoon.

So does this not actually change anything if driving in manual mode? Faster shifting or just the hold till redline?

Let us know in detail how your recode goes!

mmaturo
July 8th, 2009, 21:01
I'll try that out this afternoon.

So does this not actually change anything if driving in manual mode? Faster shifting or just the hold till redline?

Let us know in detail how your recode goes!

VERY interesting...can't wait to hear if this works.