PDA

View Full Version : Turbos K03 or K04?

gasen
August 19th, 2003, 14:47
Hi every one!
I have a question regarding witch turbo to chose.

Letīs start with some background, Iīm running a stock S4 -00 with 75000 km on the meter (and as far as I know, itīs the correct milage and it has never been chiped).

A couple of weeks ago the car was starting to lett out blue smoke as soon as the engine reach working temperature. I whent down to my local Audi dealer and hade them look thru the car.

The dealer did not find anything that could be explained to make the engine smoke like it did, the only thing the mecanic could recommend was to (hear this) chang the piston rings!

With lightning speed I did take my car to tre different tuning companies, and the all said that one of the turbos had kicked in and would die soon. They all made the dignos of a turbo failure based on the symptoms: no smoke when the engine is cold (due to the fact that the oil then will be thicker), increasingly smoking when the engine is warm and the oil is geting thiner and as soon as the turbo has less work load.

Now to the question: should I replace my original turbos (K03) or chang to K04's? Is ther any one who has experience of how the car will perform with the K04's and no tuning?

Klint
August 19th, 2003, 15:51
The throttle system including fuel system would need re-mapping.

If the gearbox/drive train can handle some extra ponies then that should be left as it, if not. Do the obvious and upgrade ti with the engine.

Brakes? Can they handle the extra speed the car might need to shave off?

Cooling. The turboed are not much without adequate (sp?) cooling. Intercooler?

I think that should top the car of nicely. :)

:cheers:

Silvant
August 19th, 2003, 23:58
you need to change multiple things to have this work.
cpu, clutch, intercoolers, airbox, MAS, exhaust etc..
you are really just adding RS4 parts.
here is a link to a great kit. i think MTM also does it. there are S4 all over the states running these packages. amazing set up.
www.go-apr.com
:alig:

Erik
August 20th, 2003, 09:01
I would check with www.ace-competition.com

Have a chat with Anders and se what he says. (but I guess you already knew that?)