PDA

View Full Version : 1st weekend with the baby!

RS6FEVR
August 18th, 2003, 17:31
:cheers: all
Spent the weekend adding 250 miles to the “baby”. Overall, this car is an absolute blast to drive (sound enhanced, tip, and sport settings absolutely balls on) and IMHO, definitely worth waiting for. Comparing ride, fit, and finish with traded in ’98 S500 MB and performance against owned and modded Y2K C5 Vette.

Put two coats of Zaino on and the exterior finish is far superior to either of my other vehicles. I love the red (continues to grow on me) a lot and it shines up beautifully smooth. There is a funny little lateral body joint about body side molding height from rear door to wheel well? Seemed like a strange place for a panel joint? Car stance is aggressive and impressive!
As GoFast said in a previous post, the wheels are much nicer than were depicted in photo’s. May just switch tires at appropriate time of season and keep using the current nine spokes.
Doors, windows, trunk, hood and solar sun roof open and close with precision. Very tight finish and quiet, precise operation allow isolation when wanted. The inside handle on the trunk works quite adequately during closing. Battery placement obtrusive, but workable in light of the rear seat fold down adjustment to increase trunk space.
Seats are firm, but comfortably supportive. The lumbar support is nicely adjustable in conjunction with the overall lower seat adjustability. Drove for 1.5 hours straight and didn’t find the ride tiresome at all (of course, acceleration, sport mode and tiptronic fiddling might have had something to do with that!). Adjustability of lower seat length as in MB not missed terribly much. These seats keep you in place as nicely as the adjustable sport seats of the Vette, but with more comfort and the memory functions work very nicely.
Silver alcanterra interior with cf accent is very nice other than rear window reflection in certain light. Seems there’s a little glare off the back shelf on the window and you see the reflection in the rear view.
There is so much to learn regarding dash controls. Love the red background lighting of the gauges and Nav works well, but programming will be somewhat time consuming until I get used to it. Nicely laid out, but much to learn. Radio is far superior to the Bose in the vette, more adjustable than the MB and XM radio going in next week.
Performance wise, this is one quick sport sedan (of course that’s understatement, we all knew that going in!). I think the most impressive thing, performance wise, are the brakes. Anyone who track races knows the importance of braking and these huge brembo’s stop this beast on a dime. I can’t say enough about how good these feel or how superior they are to my performance baers in the vette! WOW. The braking, acceleration and cornering are truly amazing for a vehicle of this size and weight. I’m new to turbo driving, but I think Icon and GoFast had it right, I’m a hooked turbo junkie! You can’t feel any lag (as a new turbo driver anyhow) and the power band is absolutely incredible. You’re put back in your seat going to near WOT and the car just continues to accelerate with a wonderfully sound enhanced, unobtrusive rumble. You’re at 120 before you know it and at 130 (top so far), it rides so solid you feel incredibly in control. I’m very interested if in fact this is speed limited as the manual says? If it is, I’m going to have to find someone to correct the chip for this condition cause I do like high speed (I’ve had my vette to 175, no bragging just crazy) and I might want to run at the appropriate time and place with other fast contenders!
Okay, more to come, sorry for the length, got to get 250 more on her!!
:addict: FEVR :addict:

peterb
August 18th, 2003, 17:47
Originally posted by RS6FEVR
There is a funny little lateral body joint about body side molding height from rear door to wheel well? Seemed like a strange place for a panel joint?
Not a join - the edge of a piece of clear stone-chip protection.

RS6FEVR
August 18th, 2003, 17:59
:cheers: Peter
Thanks for that info. While doing my zaino thing, I noticed the polish catching at that locale and couldn't quite figure out why it was there. Makes perfect sense now.
Love this board and info!! :D :D :D

gmbh6
August 18th, 2003, 18:30

...(I’ve had my vette to 175, no bragging just crazy) and I might want to run at the appropriate time and place with other fast contenders!...
Congrats!

I know the feeling. The best part is that sudden lauch you can do on the freeway to position yourself ahead of the slow-pokes.

But being a former vette guy aren't you embelishing a wee bit on the 175mph part? unless you had the engine modified.

Cheers. :)

RS6FEVR
August 18th, 2003, 19:21
:cheers: thcakid

Yes, that rush getting ahead of the slow pokes is a real exhilaration for sure! :360:
And, no embelishment, and no, I'm not stock! :D :D

gmbh6
August 18th, 2003, 19:34
...and no, I'm not stock! :D :D
cool. :)

Bauer
August 18th, 2003, 20:17
Great write up. Keep the stories comming as we love to read them. Keep enjoying the car.:incar:

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 comming to a garage near me!!!!

Benman
August 18th, 2003, 20:57
RS6FEVR:cheers: ,

excellent write up. the car does feel quite good at those speeds doesn't it?:D it is amazing how poised and stable the RS 6 feels the faster you take it. it is restricted, but remember that quattro is VERY leaniant (spelled right?) about the limiter. it shouldn't kick in till you have @165 or 170 on the speedo:D (which if your a speed junkie like me than it won't take long). thanks again for the great update. all these reviews are driving me a bit crazy but i know my time is coming shortly. now they're telling me 1 MORE week. ahh... must be patient:(

Ben:addict:

eph94
August 18th, 2003, 21:01
Originally posted by Bauer
Great write up. Keep the stories comming as we love to read them. Keep enjoying the car.:incar:

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 comming to a garage near me!!!!

Bauer, I don't know about you, but the more I read about others taking delivery the more depressed I get. At first, I got caught up in the euphoria. Now, I just want mine NOW. :cry: :cry:

Great writes up people. I guess I will just have to live vicariously for a few more months... but you guys are just KILLING me. :cheers: Every bit of patience I have is slowly melting away as I hear more comparisons to other fine cars (this time comparing the brakes to the C5 Vette). WOW.

iconcls
August 18th, 2003, 21:08
Another boost junkie.

The torque band of low inertia turbos is positively addicting.

nene
August 18th, 2003, 21:25
Those are really great news RS6Fevr!!! No need to tell you that's enjoyment is continous on the beast.

BBGT2
August 19th, 2003, 00:01
RS6FEVR:cheers:

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, I already have over 400 on the clock and 2 hand car washes this weekend, washed it saturday and went to dinner and it rained went back sunday got another one (free of charge thank you turtle wax).
Exactly what I had hoped is what I am getting out of this car and MORE.:devil:

I have had it up to 120mph and backed off, what a rush:0:
it just feels like it has no limits you feel so safe in it its amazing.
Fevr maybe we will see each other somewhere on our wonderful Chgoland highways some day. Congrats. and good luck to you.

Bajo :addict:

CTRS6
August 19th, 2003, 01:37
Great write up !

I am waiting for my blue baby to arrive. I currently commute in an E430 ( not sure how the ride/comfort would compare to your MB)
I have also commuted and taken long drives ( 3 hours plus) in a 1997 A6.
Given your MB ride - any further comparisons on longer ride comfort or daily drivability? Any views on ride comparison with an A6?

GoFastKindaGuy
August 19th, 2003, 02:35
Compared to the A6 4.2 I just sold, much less body roll in the RS6 -- and firmer (but not jarring) over the expansion joints. Seats are more comfortable in the RS6, too.

I've just put 3.5 hours non-stop on the silver bullet after a short night's sleep with neither fatigue nor discomfort behind the wheel. I spent most of the time running up and down the rev range and paddle shifting 3-4-5-4-3 etc to vary the engine speed -- at nearly legal speeds (OK, I fib a little).

Oh, just 650 miles until the right foot finds the floor!

:D

jimmy94507
August 19th, 2003, 02:45
FEVR, Great writeup! I certainly share your enthusiasm! This was my 1st weekend enjoying the car. Got the clear bra (Xpel) installed Friday morning. Drove about 15 miles and had a rock zing off the hood hard enough to badly scuff the 3M film but NOT penetrate to the paint. Wow, am I glad I have it on! Headed for the Historic races at Laguna Seca (120 miles/2 hours) amid lots of traffic (and some lame drivers) which gave me the excuse to test the acceleration and maneuverability. This car has a serious "Go" pedal and feels glued to the road! On one serious multi-car passing maneuver, I couldn't believe reaching 110 that quick, so I backed off. Also because my SO, with raised voice, was asking me if I really wanted that speeding ticket. Friday afternoon with lots of commuters, all in a ruch, headed for a weekend in Monterey is prime ticket time! We made the journey without further ado. Very enjoyable drive! I agree with the RS 6 comments posted by FEVR. This is one nice car!!

Reservations are difficult in Monterey on a race weekend. We ended up at a Super 8, but you couldn't believe the types of cars in the parking lot, including a Ferrari. The RS 6 got a lot of notice and positive comments. The historic races were great; Ford was celebrating its 100 years and was very well represented by large display tents, lots of cars, former US and international drivers and some good quality racing. Sure was fun watching the GT40's, TransAM cars and Cobras roaring around the track in spirited competition.

We had another enjoyable drive home, in spite of the traffic. Of course, being in such a capable car was probably the difference. 555 miles on the odometer; time to put a bit more spirit into the driving getting to that 1000 mile event.

Regards to all, Jim

Bauer
August 19th, 2003, 03:50
Thanks guys and gals,

Lots of great write ups on this thread. Really do appreciate them and keep having fun. Don't stop the reviews and stories.:cheers:

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 comming to a garage near me!!!!!