PDA

View Full Version : Loud buzzing noise only when fuel light is on?

Brav
June 20th, 2009, 05:53
Sounds like fuel pump but only can hear it when fuel light is on.. very strange. Anyone ever experience this?

DHall1
June 20th, 2009, 06:38
I have never seen the low fuel light on my car but....

Imagine a high volume electric pump running in the bottom of a large 20 gallon tin can. Now, put 3 gallons in the can and listen....then put 10 gallons in the can that covers that elec motor and listen

Brav
June 20th, 2009, 06:45
I understand that - however this is an on/off thing, not gradual at all.

vinny
June 20th, 2009, 17:09
hey brav, fuel pumps on its way out.... any pump that you can hear at any random time, is on its way out....

just watch out - the rs6 uses the intank pump as a lifter pump, and the under tank pump as the pressure pump - if the pressure pump runs dry for too long, youre going to have to replace it too...

replace fuel filter while youre at it...

Brav
June 20th, 2009, 18:01
Before I bought the car, the entire gas tank was replaced.. so I assume it should have new pumps as well?

hahnmgh63
June 20th, 2009, 18:23
Probably didn't replace the pumps just because they did the tank but it does sound like the pumps. I try to never run my tank below about 1/4~1/8 tank as the fuel keeps the pump cool which improves longevity.

Brav
June 20th, 2009, 18:31
Yea I should look into it if they were actually replaced or not. Its just very strange that it instantly comes on within seconds of fuel light coming on, and off as soon as i fill it. I suspect some other type of wiring issue..

hahnmgh63
June 20th, 2009, 18:39
You may be onto something there if it is instant with the low fuel light. With the in-tank pump, it usually gets louder as your tank gets closer to empty and it is uncovered(unmuffled by gas). Tough one to diagnose.

DHall1
June 21st, 2009, 19:11
From the new info you posted.

There may be an issue with the lift pump in the tank. Let us know if the lift pump was replaced with the new tank.

Yea I should look into it if they were actually replaced or not. Its just very strange that it instantly comes on within seconds of fuel light coming on, and off as soon as i fill it. I suspect some other type of wiring issue..