PDA

View Full Version : The future of M-cars

Erik
August 18th, 2003, 11:11
I read this in the latest auto motor sport.

Cars with uneven numbers (1-, 3-, 5- and 7-series) will be 4-door.
Even numbers will be more sporty 2-door coupés and convertibles.

So the next M3 will be a 4-door sedan. And the coupé willo be called M4.
They will share a new compact V8 engine which will develop about 400 hp. To be released during 2006.
The new V8 will be of the same family as the V10 that will be used in the new M5 and M6. For the V10 engine they mention a power output of 500 hp.
So there will be a M6, M5, M4 and a M3. Perhaps also a M2 based in the new 1-series with a 220 hp 4 cylinder engine. (like the E30 M3...)
They don't mention anything about a Z4 M.

However BMW will make us of their knowledge in carbon fibre technology and build smaller series of the so called CSL versions.
"Copue Sport Leichtgewicht"
The CSL versions are expected to arrive about 3-years into the 5-year lifecycle of a car.

So just think about a M6 CSL with 550 hp...the fastest ever!

Transmissionwise we're looking at manual 6-speed gearboxes, SMG and a 6-speed autobox developed by ZF for the M5 and the american customers.

How about X5 M and X3 M? No clear answer in the article but
they mention that perhaps the volumes are too small.

Andreas.ka
August 19th, 2003, 16:07
the pictures of the new M-series looks very good:

http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2003-7-2/1341582-sk99b.jpg
http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2003-7-2/1341582-sk99c.jpg
http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2003-7-2/1341582-sk99d.jpg

Klint
August 19th, 2003, 16:45
I think ///M are trying to do 'an AMG'.

Have every type of ///M avaliable in every market. Might make sales increase across the whole BMW range, but it wont benefit the ///M brand no where near as much as it does now.

Stick to making the odd convertable (Z8), the M5, the M3 and once in a while come out with a even more exclusive edition of each vehicle..ala M3 CSL or a M5 CSL etc and they'll be fine.

The designs are getting worse at Bavarisch Motor Worke aswell. Not doing themselves any favours. But of course. How hard is it to improve on perfection? (E39 5 series)

Look at Ferrari for example. They used technology gained from Formula one (BMW also compete in F1) to produce an even better 355 called the 360, they at Modena, Italy did a splendid job with that. Why can't BMW follow suit off the track?

BMW are apparantly trying to do a similar thing. But the designs aren't getting better. Let Ian Cull design the new range of BMWs and it wont be a regret. FYI He's the gentleman who pinned the Vanquish.. :bow:

bonte
August 22nd, 2003, 22:12
FYI He's the gentleman who pinned the Vanquish..

drool drool.... :D

Alex
August 24th, 2003, 20:28
Originally posted by Klint
Look at Ferrari for example. They used technology gained from Formula one (BMW also compete in F1) to produce an even better 355 called the 360, they at Modena, Italy did a splendid job with that. Why can't BMW follow suit off the track?
:error:
Well, thats not perfectly true my friend, The new CSL-series(Coupe Sport Leichtgewicht) with doors, roof, floor, in carbon fiber and lot´s of alu. is made of knowledge gained from the coroporative work with team Williams in Formula 1. :deal:
best regards // Alex

Klint
August 24th, 2003, 20:40
Originally posted by Alex
:error:
Well, thats not perfectly true my friend, The new CSL-series(Coupe Sport Leichtgewicht) with doors, roof, floor, in carbon fiber and lot´s of alu. is made of knowledge gained from the coroporative work with team Williams in Formula 1. :deal:
best regards // Alex

Then if you read the sentence below that one...

BMW are apparantly trying to do a similar thing. But the designs aren't getting better. Let Ian Cull design the new range of BMWs and it wont be a regret. :p

;)

bonte
August 24th, 2003, 20:42
sorry, but who is Ian Cull ? :error:

Klint
August 24th, 2003, 20:47
Originally posted by bonte
sorry, but who is Ian Cull ? :error:

My mistake, the gentleman's name is Ian Callum. :rolleyes:

bonte
August 24th, 2003, 21:07
lol, sorry, still don't know who it is....

Klint
August 24th, 2003, 21:55
Originally posted by bonte
lol, sorry, still don't know who it is....

Here (http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/whoswhere/990806jaguar-icallum.html) is some more information about Ian Callum.

:cheers:

bonte
August 25th, 2003, 09:37
oh yeah! The AM DB7 and Jaguar.... :eek: He could design a decent BMW

Alex
August 25th, 2003, 15:30
Originally posted by Klint
Then if you read the sentence below that one...

BMW are apparantly trying to do a similar thing. But the designs aren't getting better. Let Ian Cull design the new range of BMWs and it wont be a regret. :p

;)
oh, sorry, didn´t get that far.. :roll:

avdh
August 31st, 2003, 11:11
The autocar article posted by Andreas.ka, is very interesting.
.... and I thought I would be "safe" with an RS6! :(
Well, Johannesburg's altitude will still make it fast enough to compete with 535 bhp NA engined cars of similar weight.. And if push come to shove, I'll have to visit the tuners :)

Mercedes AMG sales in the UK are surprisingly low, but then in SA the C32 does not sell well either.
Last week I got a call from an MB dealer, where I did ask some questions 8 months ago, about the E55, which at the time he told me (with no uncertain arrogance) there was a 3 to 4 years waiting list, asking me now if I would be interested in a E55 as they had plenty cancellations.....

itisme
September 6th, 2003, 11:18
great.. BMW M3 Touring vs. Audi S4 Avant.. man this will be a great fight!!! Let`s win the fight :D.. :s4addict: