PDA

View Full Version : A5 Sportback pre-Release

Qisha
June 17th, 2009, 07:27
Dear Friends,

for your interest: (at this time only in german)

Teaser Image:
http://cdn.24.com/files/Cms/General/d/182/eb65c579b14044b580e6f5481b465a0f.jpg

http://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/unternehmen/aktuelles/modelle_und_services.detail.2009~06~der_neue_audi_ a5_sportback.html

Translation shortened:

The coupe-like roofline tapers toward the rear of the car and is lower than the A4 sedan by 36mm. Despite this, Audi claims passengers at the rear will enjoy head- and legroom comparable to that seen on the A4. A5 Sportback seats four occupants only, though.

Its interesting styling and large hatch also ensure a load area of 480 l that swells to 980 l with the rear seats folded down. Nearly equal to the A4 Avant, the manufacturer says.

In Europe, the A5 Sportback will be offered with a range of EU5-compliant petrol and turbodiesel engines. These include the familiar 2.0 TFSI and 3.2-litre V6 units as well as the 2.0 TDI, 2.7 TDI and 176-kW three-litre V6 TDI.

The A5 Sportback will feature a new ESP system with electronic differential lock on the front axles for better steering response.

The new car will also be equipped with Audi's drive select system that allows the driver to choose between different modes influencing the throttle response, shift points on the S tronic and multitronic transmissions and tightens the servotronic steering.

Qisha

KresoF1
June 17th, 2009, 07:28
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/audi_a5_sportback_images_001.jpg

Press Release:

The new Audi A5 Sportback
As elegant as a coupe, as practical as an Avant

The brand with the four rings leads the pack with a new vehicle concept: The Audi A5 Sportback combines the best of different automotive worlds. It is as emotional and elegant as a coupe, as comfortable as a sedan, and as practical as an Avant. The Sportback joins the Coupé and Cabriolet as the third member of the A5 model family - and at the same time creates a new segment. With an exciting design, great everyday utility and highly efficient and powerful TFSI, FSI and TDI engines, the A5 Sportback will arrive at Audi dealerships in September. The car will be open for ordering with an entry price of EUR 36,050 for the 2.0 TDI version. A version with an even more attractive price will follow in the middle of 2010. This will make the A5 Sportback the entry model for the A5 model range.

The A5 Sportback represents a milestone in car design. The five-door coupe excels in its elegant, elongated, sporty profile. The large hatchback fits perfectly into the tail-end styling. The spoiler lip and the diffuser insert provide contrast and emphasize the athletic tautness of the elongated contour. The coupe-like silhouette is the result of a roof section with a long, tapering roofline that is moderately lower by 36 mm (1.42 inches) than the A4 Sedan and of the short overhangs at the front and rear as well as the long wheelbase of 2,810 mm (9.22 feet) and the four frameless doors with their slim, dynamic window styling. The unusual hatchback design is distinctively emblematic of the vehicle’s excellent functionality. With the Sportback, the designers of the Avant are setting trends in tail-end design while combining sportiness, comfort and utility in a completely new way.

The unique functional concept in conjunction with the emotion-packed design creates a cutting-edge mix of coupe and Avant. The baggage volume of 480 liters (17.0 cubic feet) nearly equals that of the A4 Avant, and it has an impressive 980 liters (34.6 cubic feet) with the rear seatbacks folded down.

The A5 Sportback provides a full measure of comfort on all four seats and convenient entry and exit through every door. Despite the fact that its exterior height is less than that of the A4 Sedan and that its roof tapers at the rear, the Sportback has comparable headroom and legroom.

The powerplant of the A5 Sportback is another advance along the path of innovative technologies Audi has been charting: All engines are of the direct injection type - the diesel versions are sophisticated common rail TDI units while the gasoline engines are based on the FSI concept. All engines meet the EU5 exhaust emission standard. The diesel versions are equipped with particulate filters.

Initially the A5 Sportback will be available with a choice of two gasoline and three diesel engines. The two gasoline versions, the 2.0 TFSI quattro with an output of 155 kW (211 hp) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque and the 3.2-liter V6 quattro generating 195 kW (265 hp) are both equipped with the Audi valvelift system. This feature can produce more power and higher torque as well as lower fuel consumption.

The following engines are also available right from the start: the 2.0 TDI with 125 kW (170 hp), 350 Nm (258 lb-ft), a 6-speed manual gearbox and start/stop system, the 2.7 TDI with 140 kW (190 hp) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft), and the three-liter V6 TDI with 176 kW (240 hp) plus an enormous 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) of maximum torque and quattro all-wheel drive.

The newly developed ESP control with electronic differential lock on the front axle ensures noticeably improved steering response as on the Coupé and Cabriolet and compensates effectively for change-of-load reactions - which increases driving safety.

The perfect addition to this technology package is the Audi drive select dynamic driving system - this allows the driver to choose between three different modes which influences the throttle response characteristics, the shift points for the seven-speed S tronic or multitronic transmissions, and supports the servotronic steering. If the vehicle is equipped with the MMI operating system, a fourth, freely programmable level is also available.

Audi drive select can only be ordered in conjunction with one or more of three additional technologies - adaptive shock absorber control, dynamic steering with continuously variable assistance and quattro with sport differential for the 3.0 TDI and 3.2 FSI versions.

Erik
June 17th, 2009, 07:43
Threads merged.

I want to see more :D

Leadfoot
June 17th, 2009, 07:53
Qisha,

Early examples that were shown to dealers had 5 seats but the versions that dealers saw later on and tested had 4 seats. Are Audi considering bucking the trend of only offering this class of car with a possible 5 seat option?

I know that if they did I would definitely consider one for myself, and I would reckon there is many others put off with the 4 seat only option from most suppliers.

The RS6
June 17th, 2009, 09:13
I like what I see and hear! If the price is right, this could be my next car! :bow:

Qisha
June 17th, 2009, 09:19
Qisha,

Early examples that were shown to dealers had 5 seats but the versions that dealers saw later on and tested had 4 seats. Are Audi considering bucking the trend of only offering this class of car with a possible 5 seat option?

I know that if they did I would definitely consider one for myself, and I would reckon there is many others put off with the 4 seat only option from most suppliers.

Dear Leadfoot,

4-seater only.

Qisha

Ruergard
June 17th, 2009, 10:21
This thing will be a looker for sure, I wan't more pictures now! :D

combo3010
June 17th, 2009, 10:27
maybe this car is the reason why there will not be a B8 RS4...

RS5 Sportback anyone?

Damienr8
June 17th, 2009, 12:21
Not so impressed yet, i need to see and hear more.

RXBG
June 17th, 2009, 14:33
is the A7 going to be another 'sportback" offering also?

pampas
June 18th, 2009, 11:04
Any info about the S/RS5 sportback?
The regular S5 was released with the A5, if I remember it correctly.
Should I forget about the RS5 (regular) and start thinking about the S5/RS5 sportback now?
What will you people do? - all those who own an S5, will you jump into this coupe/sedan for increased comfort (in the rear seats) and a great look or stick with the beauty full S5?

Of course, we all have the liberty to change our opinion later on, when the real photos and especially the real CAR shows up in person, but for now I think the regular A/S5 looks better (we all saw many sportback "spy"pictures, to have an opinion by now), what do you say?

pampas
June 18th, 2009, 11:09
is the A7 going to be another 'sportback" offering also?

There is no regular A7 yet, and it's supposed to come as a "sportback" from the start, or as a "4 doors coupe" as I like to call it, although the terms don't really go along.

I do not think the A7 will be a standard coupe (2 doors), but a competitor for MB CLS, which looks great but can be definitely improved (the front-end line looks like a beaten dog with the tail under the legs, from different angles, but the car has class no matter how you spin it, inside and outside).

KresoF1
June 21st, 2009, 16:31
German A5 line price list, Sportsback included:
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/pdf/price_lists.Par.0006.File.pdf/090618_preisliste.pdf

AndyBG
June 21st, 2009, 23:57
Is it just me, or someone else thinks that is time for Audi/VAG to bring up 2.0 TTDI (bi-turbo)...

pampas
June 22nd, 2009, 08:50
well, the S5 Coupe has the same V8 engine, I only see the 3.0T in the cabrio.

roadrunner
June 24th, 2009, 08:54
It's official. In the latest issue of the official Audi magazine: "The progressive mix of Avant and Coupe will be introduced during the fest celebrating Audi's 100 years on 16th July"

Sounds very logical, after all - the pricelist is out already.

Less than 1 month. A friend of mine was in IN last saturday picking up an A4 Avant 3.0. On the way to the autobahn they saw 2 Sportback. One slightly camouflaged, the other without any. His comment: "It looks gorgeous". And i sure believe him :hihi:

andreadebi
June 24th, 2009, 11:16
Is it just me, or someone else thinks that is time for Audi/VAG to bring up 2.0 TTDI (bi-turbo)...

yes...and take off old 2.7 tdi...

HKS786
June 24th, 2009, 21:46

JavierNuvolari
June 24th, 2009, 23:00
Not so impressed yet, i need to see and hear more.

+1, I need MOAR pics of it...specially the rear you know, so far I fear that I won't like it. Though the idea of a 4 seater only is VERY intriguing.

Saludos.

Qisha
June 25th, 2009, 07:10
Some more:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5081/downimg.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/downimg.jpg/)

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Audi/A5-S5-RS5/A5%20Sportback/Spy%20Photos

Bogdan
June 25th, 2009, 07:32
It's not only that they need the 2.0 TDI bi-turbo. Audi is a little behind with other engines also, the most important that comes to mind is the ancient 3.0 TDI with the same boring 240 hp. If you take BMW for example, they have the 3.0 bi-turbo diesel 286 hp out a few good years now, not to speak that they already have a new 3.0 bi-turbo diesel with 306 hp and 600NM. Where is the 3.0 TDI bi-turbo from Audi???

AndyBG
June 25th, 2009, 10:10
3.2 is also, out of the game, IMHO...

andreadebi
June 25th, 2009, 11:35
It's not only that they need the 2.0 TDI bi-turbo. Audi is a little behind with other engines also, the most important that comes to mind is the ancient 3.0 TDI with the same boring 240 hp. If you take BMW for example, they have the 3.0 bi-turbo diesel 286 hp out a few good years now, not to speak that they already have a new 3.0 bi-turbo diesel with 306 hp and 600NM. Where is the 3.0 TDI bi-turbo from Audi???

and bmw is testing tri-turbo for x5,x6, 7 and 6 with 354hp...late 2010-start 2011

Kliko
June 25th, 2009, 11:55

yes you're right. Audi is just planning to produce more models with the same engines that will be a litte bit more powerfull....

But BMW is really producing nice engines. They indeed are testing engines with three turbos etc...

Audi just don't have the capacity I think to produce more models AND engines at the same time...:confused::confused:

AndyBG
June 25th, 2009, 18:25
Yes, but Audis style was much different in the past... Some ten years ago when some smart people were anouncing this ''downsize tubo'' times, I was more than sure that Audi will cope best of all...

Bogdan
June 25th, 2009, 20:05
Until now at least, I am very sorry but BMW is way ahead in the "downsize turbo" departament: X5/6 M with 4.4 turbo, 3.0 bi-turbo diesel and petrol, 123 d with 2.0 bi-turbo diesel, next M3 with 3.0 v6 or L6 turbo or bi-turbo, a new 2.0 bi-turbo petrol with 300 + hp for the next 1 series M and lots more. And all of these engine are state of the art performance engines in their categories, some of them wit lots of international awards. So, Audi has a lot of work to do to level the situation, let alone come ahead. And with this crissis, I can't see them investing in new engines so much. Best example, A5 sportsback launch with the same engines available through the entire range of cars

Zyklon5
June 25th, 2009, 22:07
Until now at least, I am very sorry but BMW is way ahead in the "downsize turbo" departament: X5/6 M with 4.4 turbo, 3.0 bi-turbo diesel and petrol, 123 d with 2.0 bi-turbo diesel, next M3 with 3.0 v6 or L6 turbo or bi-turbo, a new 2.0 bi-turbo petrol with 300 + hp for the next 1 series M and lots more. And all of these engine are state of the art performance engines in their categories, some of them wit lots of international awards. So, Audi has a lot of work to do to level the situation, let alone come ahead. And with this crissis, I can't see them investing in new engines so much. Best example, A5 sportsback launch with the same engines available through the entire range of cars

Quoted for truth !

Sadly Audi is laging in the engine development race, they were late in the game for the high reving NA engines and late again to the downsizing race and in Audi's case return to turbocharging.

The VAG 2.0 TDI 200 hp should be introduced this fall but otherwise BMW is way better off: 2 liter TT diesel 204hp in production for quite a while; 3 liter TT diesel 306 hp just launched; soon 3 liter TripleTurbo diesel ~350hp.

3.0 L6 TwinTurbo 306hp N54 - x35i
3.0 L6 Turbo 306hp N55 - 5 Series GT
4.4 V8 TwinTurbo 404hp N63 - X6 / 750i
4.4 V8 TwinTurbo 544hp N63 - X5M / X6M
6.0 V12 TwinTurbo 544hp - 760i

Does anybody know what is Audi prepairing besides the recently launched 3.0TFSI ?

Later Edit: V12 TDI .. magnificent and mad but .. not such a mass market appeal ... since it's only found in the Q7 V12TDI .. and probably the next A8

Bogdan
June 26th, 2009, 08:43
Besides the great new 2.5 inline turbo from TTRS, I can't remember anything new in the engine departament from Audi..maybe the much anticipated 4.0 TT V8 , but it's not out yet and who knows...

AndyBG
June 26th, 2009, 09:37
2.5 T is not even roumored in any other Audi but TT RS and maybe RS 3..

chewym
June 26th, 2009, 09:39
How about the 3.0T? Plenty fresh. The 300 hp version in the A6 makes it quicker than the 350 hp V8. From all of the reviews I have seen it matches the BMW 6 cylinder turbo perfectly. Quite possibly Audi's best engine at the moment. One that will see plenty of use, S4/S5/A6/A8/SUV hybrids. In the US Audi has replaced the 3.2 A4 with the 3.0T S4 verison. And as for the regular 3.2, the 270 horsepower Q5 has done very well in American tests. The 3.2 powered Q5 had strongest acceleration/bestfuel economy in the tests. Performing better than competing 3.5 liter V6s.

The 2.0 TFSI has been the four cylinder turbo for a while. First turbo/direct injection combo that everyone followed.

As for twin turbo fours and sixes, not sure if Vw/Audi are completely sold on this approach because of the costs and complexity. Perhaps the costs are too high for what you can charge? A twin turbo diesel pumping out 100 hp per liter is probably not very cheap at all. Long tem reliability (2.7T anyone?) is not guaranteed either.

Bogdan
June 26th, 2009, 11:40
You wanted to say that the 340 HP 3.0 supercharged engine in the new S4 is quicker than the old V8 , because the de-tuned 296 hp 3.0 TFSI in the A6 is no match for the old S4 engine, but maybe in the fuel economy departament.
Audi was great at turbo engines, BMW when that route, Merc is also changing from supercharger to turbo engines, and now what.. Audi is going supercharge. For me at least is a step backwards, as good as the 3.0 TFSI might be. I would go for a bi-turbo 3.0 anyday, nevermind reliability and costs. The only supercharged engine in the world I would go for is the ZR1. Yes the 2.0 TFSI is a great engine, so is the 1.4 TFSI, but for me I would like to see more interesting engines begining with the 2.5 TFSI up, both diesel and petrol. In that area at least, they are behind BMW, and thats my Audi fan opinion.

pampas
June 26th, 2009, 14:37
They should build the 1.4TFSI in a bigger displacement, something around 3.0, and even 4.0. Supercharger+turbocharger, but not in the 1.4 range (although that engine is great for it's size in any way you look at it)

pampas
June 26th, 2009, 14:39
Some more:

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/Audi/A5-S5-RS5/A5%20Sportback/Spy%20Photos

Common Qisha, drop us some more pics, I know you have them ...
One with the S5 next to the S5 sportback would be GREAT :)

JavierNuvolari
June 26th, 2009, 19:58
Some more:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5081/downimg.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/downimg.jpg/)

Thank you good sir. Looks interesting...

chewym
June 26th, 2009, 23:19
You wanted to say that the 340 HP 3.0 supercharged engine in the new S4 is quicker than the old V8 , because the de-tuned 296 hp 3.0 TFSI in the A6 is no match for the old S4 engine, but maybe in the fuel economy departament.
Audi was great at turbo engines, BMW when that route, Merc is also changing from supercharger to turbo engines, and now what.. Audi is going supercharge. For me at least is a step backwards, as good as the 3.0 TFSI might be. I would go for a bi-turbo 3.0 anyday, nevermind reliability and costs. The only supercharged engine in the world I would go for is the ZR1. Yes the 2.0 TFSI is a great engine, so is the 1.4 TFSI, but for me I would like to see more interesting engines begining with the 2.5 TFSI up, both diesel and petrol. In that area at least, they are behind BMW, and thats my Audi fan opinion.

No, the 300 (290 in Europe) horsepower 3.0T A6 was recently tested by the US auto press. The acceleration numbers from those tests are better than any numbers I have seen from the 335/350 horsepower V8 A6. The 3.0T definitely delivers performance wise. It has a smaller version of the ZR1 supercharger.

The supercharger/intercooler combo is lighter and more compact than having two turbos and lots of tubing, so that's another benefit that led Audi to use the supercharger. The BMW twin turbo V8 has all sorts of complexity in order to get the two turbos to fit.

Reliability and costs are quite important for a manufacturer.

Zyklon5
June 26th, 2009, 23:56
The fact that is more compact isn't such a win in my book, reliability, costs, weight, consumption and last but not least tuning potential, they all rate higher. The engine bay of the A5 clearly fits a bigger V8 as seen in the S5, and smaller cars have the 2.5 TFSI.

I'd be very pleased to see a comparison of the 2.5 TFSI and the 3.0 TFSI on the same chassis and gearbox setup.

I'm curious about the 4.0 TT how will it compare to the BMW counterpart.

Later edit:

Hey no S5 Sportback .. i mean c'mon haven't they learned anything from the S3 Sportback launch ? Any info about the weight and dimnesions of the A5 Sportback?

Bogdan
June 27th, 2009, 08:46
I thought you were comparing A6 3.0 TFSI with the old S4 V8.
You can be sure to expect an RS5 Sportback coming, at least that is what I heard when at Quattro for servicing my car.

Zyklon5
June 27th, 2009, 13:05
RS5 Sportback is great news, i'm just surprised they are not launching with a full line up including a S5 Sportback with 3.0 TFSI at 333hp.

The Pretender
June 27th, 2009, 13:42
RS5 Sportback is great news, i'm just surprised they are not launching with a full line up including a S5 Sportback with 3.0 TFSI at 333hp.
In due time.

pampas
June 30th, 2009, 10:31
Audi always sucks bringing the RS cars to the market ..always years after the base model is out. I hate that, you get the (for example) RS5 next year, get to drive a "new" car for one, maybe 2 years then the A5 gets changed and your RS5 will be last model already. And that's not all, you have to stick to the last model for the next 3-4 years until the next RS5 shows up.

roadrunner
June 30th, 2009, 10:56
Audi always sucks bringing the RS cars to the market ..always years after the base model is out. I hate that, you get the (for example) RS5 next year, get to drive a "new" car for one, maybe 2 years then the A5 gets changed and your RS5 will be last model already. And that's not all, you have to stick to the last model for the next 3-4 years until the next RS5 shows up.

They get faster:

A5 B8 intro 2007
RS5 B8 intro 2010
7 year model lifecycle = 4 years of current B8 RS5

A6 C6 intro 2005
RS6 C6 intro 2008
A6 C7 intro 2011/12 Sedan / Avant
RS6 being 4 years current

And hopefully we will see the RS5 B9 & RS6 C7 two years after the A5 B9 / A6 C7 launch

pampas
June 30th, 2009, 13:12
You still have to go 3 years with the "previous model". I am not 100% but I have the feeling BMW and MB have their performance lineup rolled out much faster than Audi. If I remember it right MB had the AMG C-Class released a couple months away after the "regular" C-Class (not delivered, but announced and ready to be produced..)

S6V10Avant
June 30th, 2009, 18:32
I agree, the Audi RS life cycle is disappointing. I am currently in an S6 V10, but originally wanted an RS6, but I did not have the patience to wait. For my next car, which is less than one year away, I want more performance, but at the same time a model that lasts for more than 2 years. The RS6 came too late. If the RS5 does not show up with an interesting package in the not too distant future I will have to look at the competition.

tailpipe
July 1st, 2009, 13:18
I really like the look of the new Sportback. The styling seems to have a strength and coherence that is missing from the A4 while having the practicality of the Avant. I agree with Leadfoot that a five-seat option would be desirable, so those of us with kids can enjoy a more overtly sporting model rather than being condemned to more mundane models.

The engine range seems a mess. The 2.0-litre TFSI is a no-brainer but hardly powerful enough. The 3.2 V6 as AndyBG says is past its sell-by date. And the diesels all belong in museums.

We need the new 3.0 V6 and a 4.0 V8, please. I have heard that Audi is producing a new/ tweaked version of the S4's 3.0 V6 that offers better economy and power. Anyone know about this? Apparently, it is has a twin-turbo arrangement rather than a supercharger?

Still no news on 4.0 litre TFSI V8.

RXBG
July 1st, 2009, 13:33
I really like the look of the new Sportback. The styling seems to have a strength and coherence that is missing from the A4 while having the practicality of the Avant. I agree with Leadfoot that a five-seat option would be desirable, so those of us with kids can enjoy a more overtly sporting model rather than being condemned to more mundane models.

The engine range seems a mess. The 2.0-litre TFSI is a no-brainer but hardly powerful enough. The 3.2 V6 as AndyBG says is past its sell-by date. And the diesels all belong in museums.

We need the new 3.0 V6 and a 4.0 V8, please. I have heard that Audi is producing a new/ tweaked version of the S4's 3.0 V6 that offers better economy and power. Anyone know about this? Apparently, it is has a twin-turbo arrangement rather than a supercharger?

yes. the audi engine intro is as slow as molasses. V6T was first totally new exciting engine in 3 years from audi. i doubt there is an upcoming change for this engine except a minor one- perhaps 360-370 hp. and audi's V8 offerings except the R8 engine are archaic imo.

KresoF1
July 1st, 2009, 13:51

There will be S5 Sportback with 3.0TFSI with 333hp.

There WONT be new 3.0 V6 biturbo. BTW, where is this info coming from? Same source as for your claims about RS5 engine?

A5/S5 Sportback line WONT use 4.0TFSI engine.

tailpipe
July 1st, 2009, 14:17
There will be S5 Sportback with 3.0TFSI with 333hp.

There WONT be new 3.0 V6 biturbo. BTW, where is this info coming from? Same source as for your claims about RS5 engine?

A5/S5 Sportback line WONT use 4.0TFSI engine.

Calling you an a**h*le is against the rules of this website, so I won't. But that won't stop me from thinking you are one. It's a shame that people like you merely confirm Jeremy Clarkson's assertion that all Audi drivers are cocks.

Most of your posts seem only interested in invalidating comments made by other people, which runs against the spirit of this and many other forums. You seem to forget that the internet is made up of people who know half the picture but not everything. Putting together different bits of information to work out what is going on in otherwise secretive organizations is what makes it interesting. (It is how the world found out what was going on in Iran.)

I don't know whether there will be a new 3.0 Litre bi-turbo, but someone, somewhere has suggested that there will be. Do you really know that there won't be? if so, what is your source?

You're probably only a 17 year old kid, so don't know that it always pays to treat strangers with respect and courtesy. It might make you a more valued contributor to this website.

KresoF1
July 1st, 2009, 16:00
Calling you an a**h*le is against the rules of this website, so I won't. But that won't stop me from thinking you are one. It's a shame that people like you merely confirm Jeremy Clarkson's assertion that all Audi drivers are cocks.

Most of your posts seem only interested in invalidating comments made by other people, which runs against the spirit of this and many other forums. You seem to forget that the internet is made up of people who know half the picture but not everything. Putting together different bits of information to work out what is going on in otherwise secretive organizations is what makes it interesting. (It is how the world found out what was going on in Iran.)

I don't know whether there will be a new 3.0 Litre bi-turbo, but someone, somewhere has suggested that there will be. Do you really know that there won't be? if so, what is your source?

You're probably only a 17 year old kid, so don't know that it always pays to treat strangers with respect and courtesy. It might make you a more valued contributor to this website.

ERIK,

THIS POST ABOVE NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION. WORDS LIKE THE ONE USED IN POST ABOVE ARE CLEARLY A SIGN OF TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT OR GOOD MANNERS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Kreso

talipipe,

I posted pretty good amount of usfull inside info here. You do not agree? Your right...
BTW, it was Qisha and me(together with Ladie) that claimed right from the start that new RS5 will use 4.2 FSI HDZ engine. Remember your claims? How many threads did you open with new info about RS5 engine?

My source from NSU? Someone who knows... BTW, Qisha works at very interesting place as well and his inside info always mirrors that one that I get...

P.S.
About my age... I am 37 years old lawyer and this can be verified by some members from Croatia that meet me in person. I am probably older then you...

AndyBG
July 1st, 2009, 16:23
Slow down little bit, please... This forum never had no problems, let it keep that way...

Kreso allways had and precise info', and it has its rep' as a very good source... Tailpipe, you also have your reputation here, and no one questions that...

RS 5 with 4.2 is also what I think from day one, but Audis engines are starting to be very ''boring'', and they need something new quickly... Twin turbo engines most of all...

Zyklon5
July 1st, 2009, 22:23
So there is a consensus Audi is introducing great models R8 / Q5 / A5 Sportback / A7 and trailing heavily on the engine front ...

Didn't anybody let them know their plans for premium segment domination needs good engines too ?

Brakedust
July 2nd, 2009, 09:37
Anyone for an Audi Panamera? That's how I see the new A5 Sportback. (I guess the A7 Sportback will be even closer to the Porsche concept?)

The A5 Sportback seems to offer many of the same virtues as the new Porsche while being smaller, less conspicuous and with much better styling. The only downside is the engines. It just isn't a sports car without 300 bhp IMHO. I just hope an S5 or RS5 Sportback is released.

I agree that the current engine range is pretty uninspiring. That said, the 3.0 litre engine from the S4 be impressive. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the 3.0 isn't that much more economical than the previous 4.2 V8? It's just lighter, right?

Whatever happens in the future, Audi needs better V6 and V8 engines that offer performance and fuel economy. Surely they must be developing new engines? I've heard the same rumour as Tailpipe, the UK's Autocar, I think, so it is going to be interesting to see what happens.

pampas
July 2nd, 2009, 09:37
Audi is not behind at all .. the 4.2L in the RS5 with 450hp is not a bad choice at all, the 420hp engine is great and the update will make it even better. The 3.0V6 is not bad either, nothing spectacular (as I see it) but still a good new engine. If you look around Audi is right there with the competition, little down or up, but never far away. The RS5 will be better than the M3, than in a few year the "new" M3 will be better, and it goes like that forever.
I don't see Audi as a leader in the engine department, but definitely not a looser either.

What BMW did with their 3.0TT is great performance wise, but from my point of view, is also a big problem with their better 3-series (M3). Why? I see it like this: why buy the M3 anymore, when there is a 335i that matches the M3 around town or on the highway (not on the track, but anywhere else)??? - SO, thinking this way with our Audi, I would hate to see my RS5 (supposedly) having problems with another Audi A5 or S5 that is $20-25K cheaper but has a 3.0TT, with $2K mods on it. I know my vision is a little sided, but I hope Audi knows not to make the same mistake BMW did. People paying more, should get more .. otherwise why pay extra?

Zyklon5
July 2nd, 2009, 11:40
So Audi has a good engine the 4.2L RS4/5 and R8 unit ? but what about the engines that make the volume sales ? this unit is what 2% maybe ? We are talking about the rest of the range ... 2.0 TDI ~ 200hp, 3.0 TDI ~ 300hp, 4.2 TDI ~ 370hp, 4.0 TFSI .... for all of those BMW has a counterpart in production and planing stages for the 4.2TDI ... it's quite sad actually ..

The market segmentation between the 335i and the M3 is not the issue here but what they did with the 335i it was a great thing from a business standpoint and enthusiasts. It did not hurt the M sales at all, this can be verified by numbers.

chewym
July 3rd, 2009, 08:17
So Audi has a good engine the 4.2L RS4/5 and R8 unit ? but what about the engines that make the volume sales ? this unit is what 2% maybe ? We are talking about the rest of the range ... 2.0 TDI ~ 200hp, 3.0 TDI ~ 300hp, 4.2 TDI ~ 370hp, 4.0 TFSI .... for all of those BMW has a counterpart in production and planing stages for the 4.2TDI ... it's quite sad actually ..

The market segmentation between the 335i and the M3 is not the issue here but what they did with the 335i it was a great thing from a business standpoint and enthusiasts. It did not hurt the M sales at all, this can be verified by numbers.

I don't know how European sales go, but I would think that BMW sells a lot more single turbo diesels versus twin turbo diesels. Anyone know?

In the US the vast majority of BMWs come with the 230 horsepower I6 or the 306 horsepower I6 turbo.

The 2.0T and 3.0T are certainly right there with the BMW engines.

The 3.2 V6 doesn't give up anything to the NA BMW I6 and the 3.0T does the same thing to the twin turbo I6. I think too many people are getting caught up on twin turbo vs. supercharged, but I wouldn't call the BMW engine superior.

The forced induction V8 is coming. Right now there is no Audi on sale today to put it in.

Zyklon5
July 3rd, 2009, 12:21
AFAIK european sales are 60% diesel, hence my TDI rant above, but don' t quote me on that ... maybe somebody can give us accurate info.

f1esp
July 15th, 2009, 09:32
First pic:

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2009/_Audi_A5_Sportback_zijkant.jpg

:love:

HKS786
July 15th, 2009, 14:33
I'm sure we seen that pic on the net months ago! I remember the tint on the rear windows. It looks like a chop to me.

353S
July 15th, 2009, 15:03
First pic:

http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2009/_Audi_A5_Sportback_zijkant.jpg

:love:

Not real... It's a CGI from fourtitude.com

f1esp
July 15th, 2009, 18:52
Ooooopppssss!
HKS & 353: You are both right! :blush:

(...but the real one will be 99.9% like the chop...) ;)

Leadfoot
July 15th, 2009, 20:34
Still like the looks but hate the idea of still only offering 4 seats.

Come on Audi, break the trend and offer it with a 5 seat option.

Zyklon5
July 16th, 2009, 00:28
Autoblog is first, and surprinsingly it won't make it to the US. Audi must be afraid it would cannibalize sales .... as I don't see any other motive not to get it stateside.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/15/officially-official-2010-audi-a5-sportback-revealed-not-coming/

Later edit: it has 5 seats

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0907_2010_audi_a5_sportback/photo_05.html

chewym
July 16th, 2009, 04:07
Looks pretty good. There will also be another car shown tomorrow.

EKaru
July 16th, 2009, 04:39
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090046_large-1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090032_large-1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090020_large-1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090007_large-1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090050_large-1280.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/a5090049_large-1280.jpg

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/26985837+w750+st0/0907_06_z+2010_audi_a5_sportback+rear_passenger_in terior.jpg

Officially Official: 2010 Audi A5 Sportback revealed, not coming Stateside (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/15/officially-official-2010-audi-a5-sportback-revealed-not-coming/)

Leadfoot
July 16th, 2009, 07:54
Great news that it will indeed have 5 seats, this will widen it's appeal greatly. What it also might spell is a need to offer an RS4 in saloon form, what you have here is all the space of a saloon, the practicality of a hatch and the style of a coupe.

KresoF1
July 16th, 2009, 07:57
Great news that it will indeed have 5 seats, this will widen it's appeal greatly. What it also might spell is a need to offer an RS4 in saloon form, what you have here is all the space of a saloon, the practicality of a hatch and the style of a coupe.

According to official printed German A5 Sportback brochure and price list car is 4 seater.

roadrunner
July 16th, 2009, 08:07
According to official printed German A5 Sportback brochure and price list car is 4 seater.

if you look closely at this pic -> only two seatbelts in the rear = therefore 4 seater
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/26985837+w750+st0/0907_06_z+2010_audi_a5_sportback+rear_passenger_in terior.jpg

Besides that - great looking Audi :thumb: Ingolstadt did it again

roadrunner
July 16th, 2009, 08:42
Some more pics:

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0004.Image.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0159.Image.jpg/AA5_SB_10007_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0081.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10075_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0012.Image.jpg/AA5_SB_10012_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0106.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10063_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0065.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10064_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0019.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10062_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0031.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10061_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0140.Image.jpg/AA5_SB_10001_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0098.Image.jpg/AA5_SB_10003_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0149.Image.jpg/AA5_SB_10002_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0105.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10066_704x396.jpg
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0092.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10076_704x396.jpg

Not much to say - a beauty :love:

Leadfoot
July 16th, 2009, 09:32
if you look closely at this pic -> only two seatbelts in the rear = therefore 4 seater

Besides that - great looking Audi :thumb: Ingolstadt did it again

Great detective work Sherlock. :cry: But I wish this wasn't the case because it would appeal to a much wider customer base if it had a 5 seat option. Though unlike the A5 coupe, 3 series Coupe and others of this type this 4 seater has a normal trimmed middle section between the two rear seats so a simple seat beat could be added as an option. ;)

Voice the opinion that you would prefer it to have a 5 seat option to your dealer, word will get back to Audi and may be Audi will see sense in the future and offer such an option if there is enough interest.

crespo
July 16th, 2009, 15:31
Again, I would rather the 5 line stay coupe only, but I have to admit this thing is gorgeous, and practical! Despite my bitching, another home run by Audi.

The Pretender
July 16th, 2009, 18:10
http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/product/a5/a5_sportback/my_2010/multimedia.Par.0081.Image.jpg/AA5_D_10075_704x396.jpg

Frameless rear-doors Cool.

Fehli
July 16th, 2009, 20:14
No S5 Sportback???!!!:w:

The Pretender
July 16th, 2009, 20:21
No S5 Sportback???!!!:w:
In due time.

roadrunner
July 17th, 2009, 09:00
In due time.

Like Sep. in Frankfurt @ IAA?

Ruergard
July 21st, 2009, 07:26
I love the CLS and this is no disappointment either, well done Audi. This thing will sell for sure. Now we wait for the S and RS version... :incar:

The Pretender
July 21st, 2009, 10:58
Like Sep. in Frankfurt @ IAA?
Most likely.

tailpipe
July 27th, 2009, 11:40
The frameless rear windows are really well designed. You look at this car and it just exudes style and quality. Very desirable. It also makes me wonder what the hell is going on in Munich. Are the people at BMW asleep or something? BMW's range seems so meagre compared to Audi's. The gap between the two companies is growing dramatically.