PDA

View Full Version : Perspectives on the next A3

tailpipe
June 12th, 2009, 12:51
Audi is hard at work developing the next A3 and we've already see quite a few speculative renderings of the design. If it looks anything like the blue RS3 mock-up shown in the UK's Autocar magazine recently, it should be highly desirable.

From what I've read, it will be built on the new Small car platform that will ultimately be shared with the Golf mk 7 and other VW group cars, including the next TT. Some people (including Leadfoot) have suggested that Audi might prefer to build it on the MLP architecture. But with higher petrol prices, environmental concerns and economic woes bearing down upon drivers everywhere, people are downsizing. It's V6s instead of V8s and in-line 4s instead of V6s. Also, look how the Golf has grown. It is at least a class bigger in its current guise than the mk 2 or 3. So maybe Audi is right to stick with the Golf's chassis.

Whatever platform it utlizes, I can't help feeling that the next A3 is going to be a crucial car for Audi. It's got to offer great dynamics and a high quality package. It's got to be good, because the Golf has raised its game so much with the mk 6.

Again in Autocar, there are reports of Audi and VW working on reducing weight in their cars by adopting platforms with a mix of steel and aluminium. This is interesting stuff, especially if it can be brought to market inexpensively.

What does anyone else think Audi is going to do with this model?

Oh, and before i forget, I love the new touchscreen StNav system in the Golf - so much safer to use on the move and more intuitive than these wreteched MMI, COMAND and IDrive controllers.

Marv
June 12th, 2009, 13:21
Because all wheel drive tends to add weight and have more frictional losses, both leading to higher C02, I think we could start to see more high power fwd models in the new A3 line up combined with clever front differentials and suspension geometry to allow for the higher power - very much the direction Ford has taken with the Focus RS and Renault with the Megane R26R

Just my 2 cents...

Leadfoot
June 12th, 2009, 16:07
The Mk6 Golf is only a rehash of the Mk5 so I would agree that if Audi stick with the same platform as the Golf it will probably use the next version and not the current one. The MLP sharing is only one possible outcome but there is probably more reasons not to use it over using it.

Time will tell because the A3 replacement is well on the way now with only a couple of years before it will be seen.