PDA

View Full Version : "Is the BMW M3 Edition final confirmation that the M Division is losing its way?"

inF
June 12th, 2009, 10:34
http://www.drivers-republic.com/resource/7j8wha1lr0ivefggb37w2mp5.jpg

Is the BMW M3 Edition final confirmation that the M Division is losing its way? (http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_look/interviews/details.cfm?articleid=0b4cc63a70d94dc98882295a082b 7347)

artur777
June 12th, 2009, 14:05
m3 edition differs nothing from standard m3 in technical part
did you mean that?

The RS6
June 12th, 2009, 15:21
m3 edition differs nothing from standard m3 in technical part
did you mean that?

Click on the article he linked to below the picture :)

Leadfoot
June 12th, 2009, 15:38
The M3 Edition brings with it nothing new technically, it's purely a money spinning exercise that all manufacturers do from time to time. Though I have yet to see Audi offer an RS model that way.

I did hear that BMW aren't having it easy at the moment, their product through Bangle's design philosophy has hurt their long term world sales and of the big three German manufacturers it's the one performing worst with Audi well ahead, something that is backed up in the UK. One really scary example for anyone with an M3 is that I know a local businessman who wanted a new M3 but didn't like the price so the dealer has specced the car to his taste and will hold it as a demo for 3 months and will sell to him with token mileage for 25% off retail.

Now that's a sign of desperation.

Jpx
June 12th, 2009, 19:54
I think BMW is starting to fade to the business side, and instead of following strict guidelines, in what makes a M-car and what doesn't, they've broaden the rules so that they can sell more. like the article mentioned, you can't just say m-cars anymore because they sell m-SUVs, which was a big shock to me, and many BMW purists weren't happy with bangle's design, or the fact that m3 can come with a auto instead of just a stick now, and i've even herd people made that the m3 vert doesn't have a typical softop. all they need to do now is make a m-7 and I will have thought that they have completely sold out.

M3 owner
June 13th, 2009, 02:02
The M3 Edition brings with it nothing new technically.

BMW r offering TRINKETS 4 the car that put them on the map (M3) & offering impressive PERFORMANCE,BREAKING & SUSPENSION upgrades 4 the 335/135 models. These upgrades make the 335/135 faster & more desirable than the M3 for considerably less $$. I am baffled by this move.

Bangle's design philosophy has hurt their long term world sales

Bangle’s designs were an acquired taste but I really don’t think it stopped ppl from buying BMW’s. Ppl who know about cars would stop buying them but the average person will continue 2 buy BMW regardless of how ugly they get 4 no reason other than the fact that BMW is still 1 of the most prestigious brands in the world. It’s been said many times b4, u can put a BMW badge on anything & it will sell. Bangle definitely ruined the appearance of BMW’s but I think he was unfairly targeted by motoring enthusiasts. BMW did not work 4 Chris Bangle, Bangle worked 4 BMW. Ultimately, BMW had final say on design & they should have put a stop 2 his designs the second the hideous 7 series raised its ugly head.

sales and of the big three German manufacturers it's the one performing worst with Audi well ahead, something that is backed up in the UK.

In Aus,Audi r selling more cars than BMW/Merc as well.I would b very curious 2 know what is happening in the all important US market. However, I do not think that BMW will go broke/merge with any other car manufacturer.

One really scary example for anyone with an M3 is that I know a local businessman who wanted a new M3 but didn't like the price so the dealer has specced the car to his taste and will hold it as a demo for 3 months and will sell to him with token mileage for 25% off retail. Now that's a sign of desperation.

Not surprised 2 read this.The owner of the dealership that I have bought all my M3’s from told me that the 2nd hand dept of BMW dealerships all around the world have an abundance of E92 M3’s. Officially, this is due 2 the economic downturn. Ppl r not buying M3’s & those that do sell them back 2 the dealership because they cannot afford 2 keep them. In reality, ppl r not buying the overpriced M3 & those that do, trade them in 4 another BMW due the fact that the car is very difficult 2 live with on a day 2 day basis & the cars r having allot of problems.

I think BMW is starting to fade to the business side, and instead of following strict guidelines, in what makes a M-car and what doesn't, they've broaden the rules so that they can sell more. like the article mentioned, you can't just say m-cars anymore because they sell m-SUVs, which was a big shock to me, and many BMW purists weren't happy with bangle's design, or the fact that m3 can come with a auto instead of just a stick now, and i've even herd people made that the m3 vert doesn't have a typical softop. all they need to do now is make a m-7 and I will have thought that they have completely sold out.

M division r not permitted 2 build the “driver focused” cars they want 2 build because BMW want them 2 build cars that cater 4 the US MASS market. Example; A survey was taken in the US & women complained that the suspension in the E46 M3 was 2 stiff & the interior wasn’t luxurious/comfortable. So what did BMW do? They released the E92 M3 which sold out their fans because the female market is a bigger market than the “drivers car” market.
AMG had the same problem, they were being forced 2 build cars they didn’t want 2 build. There was allot of dissention & in fighting until a compromise was reached, AMG was allowed 2 build the “Black Series”
It is a well known fact that BMW monitor forums. They r watching all of this, they know what’s going on but whether they will make changes is yet 2 be seen.

Leadfoot
June 13th, 2009, 10:07
In Aus,Audi r selling more cars than BMW/Merc as well.I would b very curious 2 know what is happening in the all important US market. However, I do not think that BMW will go broke/merge with any other car manufacturer.

The US market is the one that Audi don't seem to be as strong. In recent years Audi and VAG as a whole are looking to new market places like China for additional sales than trying to subsidise to be competitive in the US market. I think BMW and Mercedes sell far more cars than Audi but I doubt they are making that much more money accordingly.

Not surprised 2 read this.The owner of the dealership that I have bought all my M3’s from told me that the 2nd hand dept of BMW dealerships all around the world have an abundance of E92 M3’s. Officially, this is due 2 the economic downturn. Ppl r not buying M3’s & those that do sell them back 2 the dealership because they cannot afford 2 keep them. In reality, ppl r not buying the overpriced M3 & those that do, trade them in 4 another BMW due the fact that the car is very difficult 2 live with on a day 2 day basis & the cars r having allot of problems.

This is one of the reasons why I was surprised that Audi decided to keep the 4.2L for the RS5, people are not buying V8s in the same way as they were two years ago.

M division r not permitted 2 build the “driver focused” cars they want 2 build because BMW want them 2 build cars that cater 4 the US MASS market. Example; A survey was taken in the US & women complained that the suspension in the E46 M3 was 2 stiff & the interior wasn’t luxurious/comfortable. So what did BMW do? They released the E92 M3 which sold out their fans because the female market is a bigger market than the “drivers car” market.
AMG had the same problem, they were being forced 2 build cars they didn’t want 2 build. There was allot of dissention & in fighting until a compromise was reached, AMG was allowed 2 build the “Black Series”
It is a well known fact that BMW monitor forums. They r watching all of this, they know what’s going on but whether they will make changes is yet 2 be seen.

I think you will find the same to be true for Audi as well. The R8 shows to true potential of Audi's abilities and it was stated prior to the launch of the A5 that the engineers could have made that car oversteer as good as the rest of them, namely BMW but marketing ruled that it had to be familiar to Audi customers and so produced a neutral handling stance that progressed to understeer at the limit. Very safe but not that rewarding.

The market for true driver's cars is very small, I know I would prefer something that excites me beyond even the likes of the RS4 but also know that I would be less happy with my wife driving it, especially in the rain. I personally think Audi's approach offers the best balance and this is in part down to it's insistance of using quattro in all of it's sportiest models.