PDA

View Full Version : V10 RS6 Jerky Gearbox

phatfocus
June 10th, 2009, 19:27
My dad and I recently test drove a new RS6 Saloon, with a view to replaceing is current 2004 RS6 avant.

In short we were quite dissapionted. Our main gripe was the gearbox, and I wanted to see if this has cropped up before. We weren't sure, there could have been problem with the gearbox, maybe its just the way it is.

It was very jerky and seemed to be easily confused. For instance, pulling out of our drive and some turnings it kangarood, and when pushing hard in a corner, on one instance suddenly snapped the back end out a bit, perhaps as a result of the gearbox.

The car was better in "manual" mode (like the fact it now blips) , but even then it was sometimes frusrating because it would not consistantly go down a gear before a corner, sometimes refusing top do so.

Overall it seemed to show its weight, very heavy under breaking, and the performace wasn't significantly better, or perhaps as good as we expected. The gearbox in the old car seemed to select the correct gear 9 times out of ten, this one not as often. Also depite the promise we felt the old car is still better for low down response.

Is it just that the new RS6 has been engineered to be an edgier drive with a peakier engine (surely not as its still turbo) ? The old car seems to be more surefooted, predictable and smoother.

Any thoughs? Are we on our own on this one?

Qisha
June 10th, 2009, 20:29
Dear phatfocus,

i read your post several times. In no case i can reconstruct the behaviour as described. The only way to "cheat" the transmission to give you a comparative behaviour is to play with the throttle control in a non natural way (accelerate-lift-accelerate, with high frequency), this could lead to a miscalculation of shift points.

Downshifts (in your case while cornering) in manual mode is driver active. The transmission will only shift down when a rev minimum is achieved, same with rev limit -upshift. In Sport mode the transmission is tend to hold a higher rev limit, leading to a earlier downshift.

Overall the transmission in the RS6 (4F) is vastly superior over the old 5 speed version used in the RS6 (4B). In detail, shift times, design layout, converter, control system etc.

From what you reported i can only assume a disfunction or -with respect- accidental misuse.

Again with respect to the RS6 (4B), the RS6 (4F) is on another level. You should have felt a difference, for sure.

For sure the RS6 is a heavy car. Depending on options and construction form 150-200kg more than its predecessor. I would recommend the Ceramic brake option, as the brake force factor is superior.

May i ask what dealership offered you the testdrive?

Qisha

gdavison
June 11th, 2009, 00:20
I'd have to concur with Qisha .. the new RS6 gear box is (normally) very smooth... I'd seriously ask the dealer (or another one) for another test drive

SAF
June 11th, 2009, 02:20
Though not RS cars, I have test driven two new Audis that had automatic transmission issues. When I tried to explain the problem (not unlike your description) upon my return to the dealership, they asked if I had put a cheap 87oct fuel in it, suspecting poor engine performance rather than believing me that it was the transmission (DSG on an A3).

A week later when I went back in, I found out the car was being serviced for a new tranny.

phatfocus
June 11th, 2009, 13:45
I understand it is possible to confuse any automatic gearbox by lifting on and off the throttle. It was Chelmsford Audi that lent us an Audi UK car.

An article on drivers republic did comment that it was a difficult car to drive smoothly with "90% of the throttle travel in the first movement of the pedal and some hypersensitivity"

However the really alarming thing is that in my absence dad said it went up three gears while in a corner. There must be an issue.

The DR article and video also notes that the torque feels as though it is limited from a standstill start.

mdk
June 15th, 2009, 08:45
From a standstill start indeed the car does not kick from 0, there is a delay.
But all other descriptions sound like Chinese to me.

(edit: I meant to say "Greek to me" but being Greek wouldn't make sense, to me :))

Erik
June 15th, 2009, 09:16
I agree, it sounds very strange. I think there was something wrong with the car.

Majestic
June 15th, 2009, 09:35
Yes I believe that there is something wrong with the car, I have a 2003 RS6 and it has the same problem I just have to bring the car in to get fixed. Someone on the forums told me that its the Torque Converter or maybe the Transmission. When changing gears from 1st to 2nd it revs up and then there is a jolt and then its in 2nd, then from 2nd to 3rd it again sometimes revs up and then a jolt and then its in 3rd, after 3rd its less noticeable. It doesnt do it all the time but its still very annoying, when i get the chance i gotta go bring it in, then i can hit the throttle and bring pride back into my RS6.

Hopefully my audi extended warranty covers it.

Anyway I would suggest trying out a different car, I am sure you will have more fun as long as its working properly.