PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Republic TT-RS review - very positive

conneem
June 9th, 2009, 18:40
"This is one seriously potent car in a straight line, and certainly rapid enough to show a Cayman S a pair of tailpipes given the opportunity"

"It unquestionably has the performance to qualify as a serious threat, not only to the Cayman but also the 911"

"For that reason (and many others) we were very impressed, if not wholly seduced, by the TT RS"

http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_look...e5cb&page=1 (http://www.drivers-republic.com/first_look/first_drives/details.cfm?articleid=667ca96683ff427e88a084106d43 e5cb&page=1)

Benman
June 9th, 2009, 18:55
Very nice review... still Audi can not quite grasp the elusive 5th star (except the R8).

Ben:addict:

Ruergard
June 9th, 2009, 19:27
Very nice review from DR as usual.

But with an even nicer car, will be interesting to see how it compares with it's rivals. Bring it on! :revs:

Leadfoot
June 10th, 2009, 11:36
You would be hard pressed to ask for a better review with real positive feedback than this one from Driver Republic. Maybe they knew not to expect an R8 driving experience and this may explain why their comments were so much better than most others.

The most impressive comments were brakes (a weak point on most mainstream brands), something that usually only Porsche do right. And the engine's potency which given DR's praise and all the others that it's more than a much for cars like the Cayman S, the 997.2 Carrera, the RS4, the M3 and the R8v8. Given it's size and weight I would reckon all of the above would have a very hard time against the TT/RS on your usual challenging back roads.

The only slight downer was steering feel but off the track such a thing is over-rated in my opinion. The worse the surface the less steering feel you need because the wheel dances too much. Maybe some will disagree here but that's my opinion and one of the reasons I like Audi's steering.

Kliko
June 11th, 2009, 17:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777NpNy71bo

Here is another video. They say that the TT-RS is very good. That the handling is oke and that it is a treath for the carrera 911....

It's a nice machine....

Leadfoot
June 11th, 2009, 22:04
Given the choice of driving a 997 or a TT/RS hard down a back road with tricky cambers and poor surfaces I know which one I would pick. And as I drive daily on roads that have tricky cambers and poor surfaces I know which one I will most likely be owning first.

Tell me have any of you got an invite to test the new TT/RS?

I rung the dealer this morning but they aren't getting one until late July. Is that the same for the rest of you?

Canadian_RS4
June 14th, 2009, 17:03
Given the choice of driving a 997 or a TT/RS hard down a back road with tricky cambers and poor surfaces I know which one I would pick. And as I drive daily on roads that have tricky cambers and poor surfaces I know which one I will most likely be owning first.

Tell me have any of you got an invite to test the new TT/RS?

I rung the dealer this morning but they aren't getting one until late July. Is that the same for the rest of you?

Don't discount a Porsche Cayman. Those things are very easy to drive fast.

tailpipe
June 14th, 2009, 18:54
From the reviews, the TT-RS is one amazing car. When it gets a DSG box than cope with its torque, it'll be an even better one. Brilliant as it is, I am not convinced that it is better than either a Porsche Cayman or a 911. The sheer integrity and focus of both Porsche models makes them hard to beat.

Leadfoot
June 15th, 2009, 07:34
From the reviews, the TT-RS is one amazing car. When it gets a DSG box than cope with its torque, it'll be an even better one. Brilliant as it is, I am not convinced that it is better than either a Porsche Cayman or a 911. The sheer integrity and focus of both Porsche models makes them hard to beat.

Some mags say that a S/Tronic is already being developed, while others say there is no dual clutch coming at all. If they do develop one then in my opinion that would be proof positive that Audi are intending to continue sharing platform with the Golf and that this engine have a future beyond the TT and possibly the RS3.

The Cayman is a much better balanced tool on back roads than a 911, I'm a decent enough pilot behind the wheel but I have too much respect for the 911 to push it anywhere near as hard as I would a Cayman, never mind a TT/RS. No doubt that if you are looking the ultimate driver's car for this money then look no further than the Cayman but for me it's a compromise I wouldn't be willing to take, it's noisy on long journeys, it's steering too lively away from the track and motorways and it's boot not as useful. Plus in the wet it will require a more delicate right foot which by the very nature of my handle is something I don't have. :jlol:

tailpipe
June 15th, 2009, 10:14
Hi Leadfoot,

Yes, you're right about the balance of the Cayman being better than the 911. From my very brief experience with both cars, I'd concur that the Cayman is certainly is more predictable in the wet.

Audi/ VW are for sure developing a new S-Tronic / DCT gearbox for the TT-RS. It'll have seven speeds instead of six, but i don't know whether it'll have a dry or wet clutch.

With the on-off rumours about the VW-Porsche merger, we need the air to clear so that the new Group can formally announce its future model plans. I think it is fair to speculate that when the two companies do finally merge, the Audi TT and Porsche Cayman are likely to share a single platform. There has been discussion in various magazines that the next TT would adopt a rear mid-engine layout, although i have no idea whether this is based on fact or wishful thinking. Certainly, with the advent of the VW Bluesport a new rear mid-engine platform is in the works.

More important, I imagine that Ferdinand Piech would like to see a 21st Century 911 and may commission a brand new top end sports car chassis. I would be very surprised if it were rear engined.

The real game-changer for all VW Group brands is the hydrogen fuel cell. What that means for future TTs, 911s and Golfs, only the good Lord knows! What do you think?

Leadfoot
June 15th, 2009, 20:21
Audi/ VW are for sure developing a new S-Tronic / DCT gearbox for the TT-RS. It'll have seven speeds instead of six, but i don't know whether it'll have a dry or wet clutch.

If it comes then I would expect it to be wet clutch because of the extra torque that system can cope with.

More important, I imagine that Ferdinand Piech would like to see a 21st Century 911 and may commission a brand new top end sports car chassis. I would be very surprised if it were rear engined.

I have insisted that this needed to happen for some time, maybe not here but definitely down at my local Porsche dealers. The 911 need not cease production, only shift it's position in the line up, from the premier model in the range to a seasoned favourite for the person who is less interested in having the ultimate driver's car but still wants to buy into the heritage and image that only a 911 can give.

No I reckon that when Ferdinand gets his way the next 911 will share it's platform with the next R8/Gallardo.

The real game-changer for all VW Group brands is the hydrogen fuel cell. What that means for future TTs, 911s and Golfs, only the good Lord knows! What do you think?

The future of all of these cars will change dramatically from the cars we see today. Performance might not drop but the way they achieve it will be totally different with weight being the biggest difference.

If we could all wait for the next model it will be much much better, but then again if we wait until the model after that it will be better still. The cycle will go on, and on, and on.

The Pretender
June 16th, 2009, 05:13
Another video.

http://www.playboy.de/lifestyle/high_tech/extras/test_the_max_video

Qisha
June 16th, 2009, 19:53
Dear Friends,

more sound... :music:

Qisha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CIiimHF0AM

The Pretender
June 16th, 2009, 20:07
http://www.automotorsport.se/bigpix/2009/ttrs_snefram_big.jpg
http://www.automotorsport.se/bigpix/2009/ttra_snebak_big.jpg

http://www.autoweek.nl/video/1371/Rij-impressie-Audi-TT-RS

TTDriver
June 16th, 2009, 20:14
Dear Qisha
I've placed an order on a black TT RS 2 weeks ago with the normal exhaust system.
Could you tell me if there is a big difference to the sport exhaust?
Thank you.

The Pretender
June 16th, 2009, 20:39
Dear Qisha
I've placed an order on a black TT RS 2 weeks ago with the normal exhaust system.
Thank you.
German Capristo.de will start development on a TT RS Klappen(Valve)exhaust in 2-3 month's time.

Here is there R32 exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJ9BiGZ_F4

Qisha
June 16th, 2009, 20:44
Dear Qisha
Thank you.

Dear TTDriver,

the OE Sport Exhaust System is at the edge of being street legal-, the top end of what is possible having a manufacturer status. It is definately worth the extra money since pre- and main Silencers are altered leading to a tremendous sound experience combined with the inline five engine. :thumb:

Qisha

tailpipe
June 16th, 2009, 22:45
Qisha,

Would you like to comment on possibility of S-Tronic DCT for TT-RS?

SigmaS6
June 17th, 2009, 23:08
the OE Sport Exhaust System is at the edge of being street legal-, the top end of what is possible having a manufacturer status.
That sounds perfect for the track, but given that I use my car for long distance travel more often I wonder if it has the potential to annoy you during long trips on the autobahn?

And how much more sound/volume do I get? Are there numbers like how many db it adds? Currently I have no idea how the standard exhaust would sound in real life, but as the sound clips on the Audi homepage are said to be from the default exhaust, I reckon that system isn't bad either?

Kliko
June 17th, 2009, 23:19
That sounds perfect for the track, but given that I use my car for long distance travel more often I wonder if it has the potential to annoy you during long trips on the autobahn?

And how much more sound/volume do I get? Are there numbers like how many db it adds? Currently I have no idea how the standard exhaust would sound in real life, but as the sound clips on the Audi homepage are said to be from the default exhaust, I reckon that system isn't bad either?

I think there is a "S" button for the extra sound. If you press it you hear more sound.... So if you do a long journey you just don't press the S button:D:D

Qisha
June 18th, 2009, 07:25

Dear SigmaS6,

as you already noticed, the Exhaust System used on the TTRS equipped with a flue gas damper. Therefore the OE Sport Exhaust System also fulfills the EU 98/69/EG regulations. Taking it from a noise level side, this would give a need for 74 dB(A) max. at idle and up to 100 km/h. 3 db(A) will give you twice as much noise (77 dB(A) was the limit until 1996). What can you expect out of the OE Sport Exhaust:

-layout emphasizes the inline five sound characteristic to the max. of beeing compliant

-this without beeing intrusive or bothersome

-deeper and more muscular appearance

I would recommend this option. Sounds-, feels and "tastes" perfect! :thumb:

Qisha

tailpipe
June 18th, 2009, 10:37
The UK's Car Magazine has just reviewed the TT-RS. its report is also extremely favourable, suggesting that ungoverned it would have a top speed of some 178 mph, which is dangerously close to that of the R8 at 187 mph. The review pays particular attention to the engine. it is apparently a VW unit sourced from the USA but recast in more exotic metal with direct injection and turbocharging kit. Car says that the TT-RS is a great engine on a competent chassis comparing it to the Cayman S, which is a great engine on a great chassis. Ultimately, Car thinks that the Cayman S has an edge on the TT-RS. We shouldn't be too disappointed by this judgement, because they think the Cayman is probably one of the finest handling sports available.

Toto89
June 18th, 2009, 10:44
Dear Qisha,

I have a question about TT RS engine since i first heard about that it is a 5 cylinder again...Does it have the same or similar tuning capability like the old 5 cylinder? Unofficialy it was able to do up to 1000 hp, is it a hope for these numbers in case of the new engine as well?

Thanks,

Tom

jonas21
July 17th, 2009, 22:08
I highly doubt that it will be that much tuneable. I guess some close-to 400bhp will be possible easily since its a turbo. The "old" 5 cylinder was very close to the ones used in rallys etc....thats long time ago. Given the need to be more "eco" i doubt that you will get that much out of this v5...but bigger turbos help....

The Pretender
July 17th, 2009, 22:20
I highly doubt that it will be that much tuneable. I guess some close-to 400bhp will be possible easily since its a turbo. The "old" 5 cylinder was very close to the ones used in rallys etc....thats long time ago. Given the need to be more "eco" i doubt that you will get that much out of this v5...but bigger turbos help....
It's not a V5 it's a inline 5 and this engine have run with 600+ hp on the testbench.

KresoF1
July 21st, 2009, 07:13
EVO drive impression is not good at all. They gave it only 3 stars...
BUT, I would wait for tests in German and Italian magazines. Of course, the best solution is to try to test drive it for yourself.

Leadfoot
July 21st, 2009, 07:21
EVO drive impression is not good at all. They gave it only 3 stars...
BUT, I would wait for tests in German and Italian magazines. Of course, the best solution is to try to test drive it for yourself.

I think it all depends on how much you value the ability to get the tail out. If the answer is a lot then the TT/RS will probably not appeal to you, as is the case with EVO.

Though they did say that Audi wouldn't allow the ESP system to be totally switched off at the track so maybe there is much more fun to be had once you have because that is the majority opinion of the S4, it take the disengage of the ESP to fully unlock the car's true magic.

Maybe that is why Plato rated the car so highly, he only drove it on the road (and in wet conditions) where it's probably best suited and probably a much better tool than the Cayman S in such situations.

The Pretender
July 21st, 2009, 10:54
I think it all depends on how much you value the ability to get the tail out.
Putting the tail out may be fun but it's not the fastes way to drive, because putting the tail out mean wheelspin.

Leadfoot
July 21st, 2009, 12:01
Putting the tail out may be fun but it's not the fastes way to drive, because putting the tail out mean wheelspin.

Couldn't agree more, neatness is what makes for a quick lap time (on tarmac at least). In my opinion the whole objective of quattro it to find the most efficient way of going round a corner and in that all quattro systems fulfil that basic requirement equally well.

What some reviewers have been saying is that if you get on the power to early you get some understeer, but in a rwd car with decent poke you will get oversteer, it maybe the more fun but it's hardly the quicker method. And I bet the guy in the M3 who's watching the TT/RS drifted off into the distance will be saying to his passenger that at least he's the one having the most fun whilst losing. :lovl:

crespo
July 21st, 2009, 15:20
Frankly, I think it's more important to have a car with accessible "fun" during day-to-day driving than it is to have a car that's a tenth quicker on a track. I love the TT-RS, but I would probably still go with a Cayman S and add a TPC turbo down the line ;)