PDA

View Full Version : Please advise me, if you were me...

SapporoRS6
June 1st, 2009, 10:43
Hello from Sapporo Japan,

Last December I had a chance to get RS6 from my friend, but unfortunately and suddenly I got sick and had to admit to hospital. I have been in the hospital for 6 months and give up getting my friend's RS6...:cry:

Now I feel much better and be able to come back. It is a time to buy RS6!:hihi: This time, there are two candidates as below;

(1)2003 RS6, Black, 15K miles, US$ 48000
(2)2004 RS6, Blue, 24K miles, US$ 40000 (with OZ 19 inch wheels)

I am puzzled which to buy...:vhmmm:

2004 model and lower price (with OZ wheels) would be better than 2003, but low mileage and black color could not be abandoned...

If you were me, which do you choose?
Any idea will be welcomed, ARIGATO.

DHall1
June 1st, 2009, 15:11
Your taste in cars is excellent. That 99 R34 is one of my all time favorite cars.

As for your current choice. We cant give you much support for price levels. Your market is quite different than the US. Just be happy with the color and car of your choice and make sure it has plenty of extended warranty. Also, make sure your dealership has trained RS6 mechanics.

Why are the cars pictured LHD? Dont they need to be RHD for Japan?

54m
June 1st, 2009, 16:05
Just 1 Quick Question is that Sat Nav screen in the black RS 6 aftermarket or standard?
Looks much bigger than the standard one but it's got the same design as the standard one...:vhmmm:

xpl0sive
June 1st, 2009, 16:39
Your taste in cars is excellent. That 99 R34 is one of my all time favorite cars.

As for your current choice. We cant give you much support for price levels. Your market is quite different than the US. Just be happy with the color and car of your choice and make sure it has plenty of extended warranty. Also, make sure your dealership has trained RS6 mechanics.

Why are the cars pictured LHD? Dont they need to be RHD for Japan?

in Japan high end cars like audi's, bentleys, lambos and benzes don't get coverted for RHD, they keep them LHD...

Erik
June 1st, 2009, 17:38
Sapporo, glad to hear you are back on your feet.

Go with your feeling, or the color / interior combo. Sounds like the price is not your main concern.

Good luck with your purchase!

Golffather
June 1st, 2009, 20:39
Black is Black, Mugello Blue doesn't come close (IMO)

As above, whichever feels right.

mmaturo
June 1st, 2009, 21:17
I would go black given the two, i also prefer the 5 spoke OEM wheels. Lower miles with extended warranty is a good thing otherwise it appears the interior and Nav set up are identical.

Erik
June 1st, 2009, 21:54
I looked at the pics again.

I would go blue...

buzz
June 1st, 2009, 22:05
Welcome back...I would go with the black on black...looks very clean from the inside...leather looks in top condition.

Drive in good health

Buzz:addict:

SapporoRS6
June 1st, 2009, 23:15
Thanks everyone!

Dave, I understand that it is also an important factor to select a dealer which has trained mechanics for RS6. As to your question, what expl0sive said is almost true. Most of the Japanese who bought foreign high-end cars like Mercedes, BMW, Audi and so on used to tend to select LHD models. I think the trend toward LHD reflects a kind of snobbish superiority complex in days when foreign cars are rare in Japan.
But in these days foreign cars are no longer rare, and people choose RHD models for easy and comfort drive. On the otherhand, LHD has been still popular for foreign special car enthusiast. So Audi Japan decided to import LHD RS6 (C5) in 2003. As to New RS6, RHD is available in Japan.

54m, Sat Nav system you see on the picture is a standard for Japan model (Audi genuine, with DVD/TV system) .

Sorry for LONG story and POOR English...:bow:

DonS
June 1st, 2009, 23:25
The drivers seat on the black RS6 is so absolutely perfect! You are a lucky man with a difficult choice. Your health is back and you are selecting from two of the finest RS6s anywhere!

MikeL01
June 2nd, 2009, 01:15
Hi Arigato,
I like the Blue and the aftermarket rims. Either one would be a blast to drive just outside Sapporo. (at least it was in the 80's as a young Marine) I need to get back to Japan-Great People.

SapporoRS6
June 2nd, 2009, 03:52
Here I attach some pics.
One is Audi (Japan) genuine Nav system, and another is a battery in the spare-tire box (maybe different from US model). Instead of spare-tire, flat tire repair kit is onboard in Japan model.

DHall1
June 2nd, 2009, 07:08
Lucky you again,

You have the nav and the battery is in the floor.

USA did not have either.

We got the big box in the trunk. Arrrrgh

PS....I would like to see pics of the R34.

Thank you

SapporoRS6
June 2nd, 2009, 12:45
Dave, These pics are my R34 GT-R in Tokachi International Speedway (Hokkaido Japan). I used to drive at Tokachi...it was a long time ago!

DuckWingDuck
June 2nd, 2009, 15:57
ya, you can get exemptions for LHD/RHD, like the few Skylines that were imported by MotorWerks here in the US are all original RHD variants, they spent a lot of money to get them past DOT. Amusing that this came up as I was just hanging out with one of the MW guys over the weekend.

The cars are rather similar; lower mileage is I guess always preferred....

DHall1
June 2nd, 2009, 20:12
You mean they didnt all get thrown in jail? Some made it out?

ya, you can get exemptions for LHD/RHD, like the few Skylines that were imported by MotorWerks here in the US are all original RHD variants, they spent a lot of money to get them past DOT. Amusing that this came up as I was just hanging out with one of the MW guys over the weekend.

The cars are rather similar; lower mileage is I guess always preferred....

DHall1
June 2nd, 2009, 20:18
Thank you for those pics.

Small world indeed. Please good luck with your RS6 purchase and stay around for chat on this board.

I have owned/modified/raced several Toyota's over the years and learned to tune on several of them. My favorite...the JZA80 Supra TT. I didnt keep my last one because it was worth too much money when Toyota discontinued the model here in the US. I have kept both my older models....87 Supra MA70 and 88 Celica ST165. Both cars very rare, mint and highly modified.

But, which keys do I grab when I have time to drive? :addict:

Good luck.

Dave, These pics are my R34 GT-R in Tokachi International Speedway (Hokkaido Japan). I used to drive at Tokachi...it was a long time ago!

SapporoRS6
June 2nd, 2009, 22:59
Dave, I love your car lineups:0:
ST165 reminds me a good old days of WRC...
My brother used to own a A70 Supra with 7M-GTE turbo-charged engine. It was a very nice car!

DuckWingDuck
June 2nd, 2009, 23:03
You mean they didnt all get thrown in jail? Some made it out?

LOL, good one.

DHall1
June 3rd, 2009, 04:19
Yes, my 165 has quite a few very rare HKS bits that I personally imported direct from japan. Also, I talked Whiteline Suspension to make a full suspension upgrade for the 165. My car has the very first setup....sort of a test mule. I had to dial in a couple of items. My 165 does not drive like a stock 165 but yet is looks completely stock other than larger wheels and tires and a slight drop in ride height.

:-)

HKS Stage VII was not fast enough for my 70 as well. Its got a few more bits to complete the deal.

I really enjoy those two old cars.

:cheers:

Dave, I love your car lineups:0:
ST165 reminds me a good old days of WRC...
My brother used to own a A70 Supra with 7M-GTE turbo-charged engine. It was a very nice car!

DuckWingDuck
June 3rd, 2009, 04:44
there's something nice about the simplicity of some of these 'older' cars. I can definitely understand the appeal of muscle cars. Doesn't mean I'm mechanically inclined to actually get down to the actual work, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

snoopra
June 3rd, 2009, 05:04
SapporoRS6, can you post more detailed pics of the battery compartment and trunk area?

DHall1
June 3rd, 2009, 05:10
I was in Oregon last week. Had the chance to get my ST165 out on a fun run in the mountains. Very tight sections and switchbacks much like Mulholland but with more trees and less views. (Thats Oregon)

Anyways, just crusing thru the switchbacks and cleaning the corners. Well, on a blind 120 degree switchback.....here comes the local yokal who does not stop or yeild a left hand turn across traffic....:bigeyes:. After a brief pucker moment I lay on the brakes (No ABS here and a street/track set of Porterfield brakes) Well I skid the LS tires as they were unloaded.....the local sees me and you should have seen his eyes. Hahah, he continues and nearly drives of the side of the road into the trees and off into the gravel.

He wont be dong that stunt again. :nana:

LOL, I just tapped my horn and went on my merry way. Kinda funny really.

I dont want to say I miss the Musclecars or my old tuner cars. But there is nothing like the RS. Nothing. Things go wrong with the old cars and you have to tinker and tinker and tinker. That all takes a ton of time. Unless your rich or well trained at DIY....the cars will never take shape.

there's something nice about the simplicity of some of these 'older' cars. I can definitely understand the appeal of muscle cars. Doesn't mean I'm mechanically inclined to actually get down to the actual work, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

DuckWingDuck
June 3rd, 2009, 05:29
dave, if you've haven't done PCH up to Big Sur, actually, PCH up to Carmel, you gotta do it. It's an AMAZING drive.

DHall1
June 3rd, 2009, 05:40
Its on my list.

This fall or next spring I want to hit Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca.

That should be a good time to hit up the coast. Small problem, my wife hates CA traffic. I got a big hurdle to get over that one.

dave, if you've haven't done PCH up to Big Sur, actually, PCH up to Carmel, you gotta do it. It's an AMAZING drive.

DuckWingDuck
June 3rd, 2009, 05:43
you can avoid all that traffic just by traveling off-hours. PCH won't be bad and the 5 over the grapevine has no traffic at all. Laguna Seca isn't bad either.

Check out this site for some of the fun drives around the LA Basin: http://www.lateralg.org/

Incidentally, our typical Julian run are routes 1 and 4 on the San Diego page: http://www.lateralg.org/roads/sandiego/sandiego.htm

DHall1
June 3rd, 2009, 06:04
Hmmm,

The San Diego runs are very, very close for me.

This is very good information. Some of those pictures look very cool.

Thanks! We still need a Julian pre run. Any ideas?

you can avoid all that traffic just by traveling off-hours. PCH won't be bad and the 5 over the grapevine has no traffic at all. Laguna Seca isn't bad either.

Check out this site for some of the fun drives around the LA Basin: http://www.lateralg.org/

Incidentally, our typical Julian run are routes 1 and 4 on the San Diego page: http://www.lateralg.org/roads/sandiego/sandiego.htm

DuckWingDuck
June 3rd, 2009, 06:05
man, my schedule is all over the place; but maybe mid-july when I get back into town? I know that's like the worst possible time with the weather ;P

xtr184078
June 3rd, 2009, 22:49
"SapporoRS6, can you post more detailed pics of the battery compartment and trunk area?"

SNOOPRA this is for you .........

Here's some photos from a Milano red saloon in NZ. This is how all non-US countries RS6 were configured I believe.
No spare wheel, but the plastic bag bottom left in the 3rd photo contains a pressursed tire sealant :rolleyes:

The great thing is - look at all the boot (trunk) space :applause:

mmaturo
June 3rd, 2009, 22:59
Wow, boy did we get ripped. My understanding was that it had something to do with crash standards (???) but that looks just as protected as the US placement. Nice packaging. Much easier jack access too. I would like the full trunk space and ability to use the trunk net. Oh well.

DHall1
June 4th, 2009, 01:51
Not crash standards.

Our E55 has the battery right where the Euro RS6 is mounted.

I think some weaner of a suit decided that the US consumer needed a friggin spare tire.

I dont need no friggin spare tire. Thank you very much.

Oh, is this response PC?

:vhmmm:

Wow, boy did we get ripped. My understanding was that it had something to do with crash standards (???) but that looks just as protected as the US placement. Nice packaging. Much easier jack access too. I would like the full trunk space and ability to use the trunk net. Oh well.

DuckWingDuck
June 4th, 2009, 02:45
That spare tired saved my ass on a julian run.

DHall1
June 4th, 2009, 03:48
I still dont need no friggin spare tire. Give me a can of fix o flat and the handy dandy pump thats packed down there.

Good to go.

:eye:

That spare tired saved my ass on a julian run.

DuckWingDuck
June 7th, 2009, 19:58
haha, fix a flat won't cure a blown tire that had the inner tirewall shredded ;D

DHall1
June 8th, 2009, 04:46
Took ya long enough. I still dont need a spare. The chances of me blowing a tire like that are well....99.9999% never to happen. I like those odds.

haha, fix a flat won't cure a blown tire that had the inner tirewall shredded ;D

DuckWingDuck
June 8th, 2009, 04:53
lol, ya, i'm just saying, on that occasion, having that spare saved my ass! if i went down to 19s and put on some 99 rated tires, i will probably look to get rid of the spare.