PDA

View Full Version : Key is in my pocket

GoFastKindaGuy
August 16th, 2003, 01:53
Well, the silver bullet is mine. I drove 3 1/2 hours today in the S6 Avant to pick up my RS6. I've spent 45 min in the RS. 20 miles on the odo when I picked it up. Several initial observations:

1) Sport exhaust sound is wonderful -- not at all intrusive.
2) US sport seats are just fine for me -- better fitting than the S6.
3) Paddle shifters are really fun -- damn, blew by the break-in rev limit already.
4) It requires discipline to stay off the gas! I don't have enough.
5) God that battery location is intrusive. However, I can get a bike inside -- with the front wheel off.
6) Stock wheels are way better looking than in the pictures.
7) Feels lighter on its feet than the S6 Avant.
8) Carbon accents are as tasteful as I had hoped.
9) It is not the looks, nor the appointments -- it is going to be the performance that justifies the money. Have not yet tested the handling, just highways so far.
10) It is unfair to compare to the Porsche Turbo -- completely different car.
11) I like it a lot. A real lot. However, it is less of a difference than I expected from the S6. I may have over hyped myself.

More later, with pics of course.

:incar: Gotta go!

Mr. Fru-T Pants
August 16th, 2003, 02:16
Have fun!

Fru-T

Finnus
August 16th, 2003, 02:50
I may have over hyped myself.

Gofast,

Congrats on the new wheels! I had a bit of a let down when I first picked mine up - waiting a year and 2 months can get your expectations up. After a month of driving it (and 2,500 miles), I've got to say the more I drive it, the more I like it. I feel like I haven't begun to tap its potential.

Finnus :cheers:

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Bauer
August 16th, 2003, 03:04
Gofast,

I hope you enjoy the car more as you get to break it in over time. It is easy to get yourself worked up (as I know I have) over this car but I do believe that as you drive the car after the break in period and tap its full potential you will be very happy. Enjoy the car to its fullist:incar:

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered (production Sept 4th!!!!!)

bilbozilla
August 16th, 2003, 03:15
I may have over hyped myself.

Yeah, but isn't that the cure for the car sickness bug? The hype is part of the fun. You buy the car, and the newness wears off after about a week (it takes longer for some than others). Note- please do not confuse fun with newness. I'm not looking for flames.
I test drove an M5 today, fell in love with that car all over again, but I had to remain strong - only 4 more months. I can wait...

Bauer
August 16th, 2003, 03:27
Bilbozilla,

This might help....Neghborn Audi in Oakland has a Avus silver, carbon, exhaust and nav RS6 that they are using as a demo car. My wife and I went and test drove it and I can tell you I am going to have a hard time keeping the keys out of my wifes hands. I considered buying it but I REALLY like the ebony so I am holding out. I recomend driving it.....it is awsome in almost every respect. The sound of the sport exhaust alone is enough to satisfy, not to mention the transmission in sport mode. They really did an awsome job. The RS6 makes my S8 feel slow and unresponsive and I love the S8.

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 Sept build

bilbozilla
August 16th, 2003, 05:24
I'll be there Monday. Is Perry still there?

avdh
August 16th, 2003, 05:55
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy

11) I like it a lot. A real lot. However, it is less of a difference than I expected from the S6. I may have over hyped myself.

Congratulations!

With regards to your comment above, once you have done more mileage, could you please elaborate, as this seriously concerns me.

Comments about handling vs the S6 would be greatly appreciated.

It seems you are the first on this board, who had an S6 before the RS6?

Erik
August 16th, 2003, 10:01
Have a lot of fun!

TheBrit
August 16th, 2003, 15:29
Congrats! I'm sure that the more you drive it, the more fun you'll find yourself having in it.

I agree with Bauer - the S8 is a fantastic car, but the RS 6 is just in a different league once you get used to driving it.

Go find some twisties and throw it about a bit! :D

luckylady
August 16th, 2003, 18:40
Congraulations! I have a lot of the same feelings as you...but I do love the himherbeastbaby! I've only put 300 miles so far - busy with work. All who have see it so far say: "It looks just like your old car" until they pop the hood! To bilbozilla: I hope you do give your wife the keys - we could use another female around here! GoFast - you enjoy!

Benman
August 16th, 2003, 20:16
congrats Go Fast:cheers: ,

i'm sure the more miles you put on the more addictive it will become:D

Ben:addict:

peterb
August 16th, 2003, 20:51
Originally posted by luckylady
I hope you do give your wife the keys - we could use another female around here!
I've offered my wife a drive in the RS6, but she hasn't taken me up on it (maybe she knows I'm not serious!). Hang it, she never even drove my old 2.7T, but she did drive my A4 2.6 - once!

Bauer
August 16th, 2003, 22:13
Bilbozilla-

Yes Perry is still there...he is the one I talked with and almost bought the car from. I think he is off on monday.

LuckyLady-

It was probably me who you were requesting to give the keys to my wife. Trust me she will be driving the car as she currently drives the S8 most of the time so thats why I say it will be somewhat of a (kind hearted) battle for the RS6 as its supposed to be "my" car. Oh by the way she loves Audis as I have kind of made her a freak..but she does give me a rash of s*it about spending so much time on this boad. I think once we get the car and start to drive it she will probably understand.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 Sept build

GoFastKindaGuy
August 19th, 2003, 13:05
avdh, I've put another 3.5 hours on the clock, non-stop. Don't be concerned about my earlier impression vs the S6. I've had a few higher speed twisties, now. This machine is clearly superior with its dynamic ride control. Also, even without wide open accelleration (I'm trying to respect break-in) the extra 120hp is clearly evident. When I have passed 1K, I will find a place to play with the S6 and the RS6 back-to-back. Report and pics will follow.

Keep the spirit! :cheers:

avdh
August 19th, 2003, 13:34
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
avdh, I've put another 3.5 hours on the clock, non-stop. Don't be concerned about my earlier impression vs the S6. I've had a few higher speed twisties, now. This machine is clearly superior with its dynamic ride control. Also, even without wide open accelleration (I'm trying to respect break-in) the extra 120hp is clearly evident. When I have passed 1K, I will find a place to play with the S6 and the RS6 back-to-back. Report and pics will follow.

Keep the spirit! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to that. - thanks

srosie
August 19th, 2003, 17:47
Congrats! My biggest niggle is the center armrest reduction in storage. Especially the hold underneath that used to perfectly hold a sunglass case. Now the diagnostics cube takes up too much space. The cupholder insert might have to be removed too. Such is life.