PDA

View Full Version : ITG Air Filters

DALLAS_RS6
May 26th, 2009, 19:11
I recently bought a RS6 and it had ITG air filters. I had it dyno'd and the power was way low. I checked the basics, and when I opened the air box to clean the air filters out they were in pieces! I don't know if they were just not properly maintained or what so I went back with stock air filters and actually made more power! Anyway I saw the post about the most power with stock turbos and everybody was recommending ITG's so I just wanted to let everyone know my experience.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/maria9356/DSC_0230.jpg

Beastly
May 27th, 2009, 01:45
that is strait up scary and one day too late - my ITG filters shipped TODAY!

Also the un-even wear is very odd -> a mouse crawled in one side (I hope).

DALLAS_RS6
May 27th, 2009, 02:56
Yeah, not good.
:bigeyes: The chunks that are missing in the picture were in my air box.

hahnmgh63
May 27th, 2009, 04:57
I'd stick with stock German...Mahle or Mann

DHall1
May 27th, 2009, 07:19
Dallas,

Hey, good to see you post. Congrats on your purchase. That car is a looker and a goer.

Did you see Steve's car after the accident? Hope things are coming along with repairs.

grizz
May 27th, 2009, 10:06
WOW........

I'm a Agent for ITG .This damage can be coused by washing with the wrong cleaner.
This is from there web site.

Note:
Under no circumstances use cotton gauze filter oil or any other oil not specifically manufactured for foam
air filters, as the oil will not stick to the foam and thus may allow dust through the filter with the risk of
causing engine or MAF sensor damage.
Under no circumstances use a highly alkaline cleaner above PH-8, such as powder based cleaners or a
clothes detergent, to clean a foam filter. Using a highly alkaline cleaner will breakdown the foam structure
and destroy the effectiveness of the filter. If in doubt of what is safe to use, contact ITG or your local dealer.

Fonzie Audi
May 27th, 2009, 13:48
are we still feelin good about itg filters (when used and cleaned properly) as a community?

i just switched from K&N to ITG..

DALLAS_RS6
May 27th, 2009, 18:20
Dallas,

Hey, good to see you post. Congrats on your purchase. That car is a looker and a goer.

Did you see Steve's car after the accident? Hope things are coming along with repairs.

I have not seen Steve's car yet but how unfortunate. We had a GTG last night and it sounds like it's going to be a slow process.

RS6-4dr911
November 4th, 2009, 04:46
So first, here was my test methodology and my (admittedly crude) analysis methodology.

Test:
Using VAG-COM logging our friend Dave's favorite Block 115 and other data, making a before and after test of the ITG filters, I made 1) a second gear pull, 2) a third gear pull, 3) a second gear pull, before and after installation. A pull was from roughly 2500 rpm, tip mode, roll into it quickly, pedal to the kickdown switch, hold until redline. Temp was a approximately 70 deg F, maybe a degree or two cooler on the after which was done about an hour later than the before. Someone more sophisticated than me can analyze the theoretical gain in power due to this slightly cooler temp but one calculator I found shows even a 5 deg difference is only good for 0.8% additional power, another figure I saw several times was 1hp per 10deg F.

Analysis:
I then took the data, made sure each set used was under full throttle, then took the highest 2000rpm band from each run. They weren't exactly the same range but usually very close (1%). As an approximation of power, I then looked at the RPM gain per second, averaged across the 2000rpm band.

For some reason, the % Load was low on the 3rd gear pull of the before run, so I looked at throwing that run just using the 2nd gear pulls only. Same results.

Results:
In all three runs of the after results, the rate of RPM gain was faster, by 2.5%, 3% and 7.5% respectively, averaging 4.5%. Based on my recent Dynolicious results, which showed that, for some yet unknown reason, I'm only putting out just under 400hp, that's a gain of roughly 18-20hp. I can feel it.

Anyone want to take issue with my approach or results feel free, just found it interesting.

Mr Balsen
November 4th, 2009, 20:32
I have ITG filters on my RS6...

ben916
November 4th, 2009, 21:05

Which of the hundreds in your stable is that???? :)

Shoppinit
November 5th, 2009, 16:45
What's wrong with the mtm ones? ;)

Trebor
November 5th, 2009, 19:14
What's wrong with the mtm ones? ;)

NOT a thing :rs6kiss: