PDA

View Full Version : Quick question tire pressure supposed to be 42psi front and rear?

p3u
May 24th, 2009, 23:35
Wanted to double check! Thanks!

Brav
May 25th, 2009, 21:45
Seems high, I think that would be for a very heavily loaded car, 5 people inside and a trunk full of goods. The door jamb has info on this.. with a little picture with load guides and pressures.

mmaturo
May 26th, 2009, 04:57
I keep 40 in my PS2s (19") but i like the stiffer handling/turn in etc. 42 seems high unless loaded down or warmed up after a track run.

Brav
May 26th, 2009, 09:29
42 May be too highfor the stock sizes and no load.. I had that pressure and I noticed a lot of tire slap on small bumps - little loss of control.

hahnmgh63
May 26th, 2009, 09:55
I would take whatever your sidewall reads for max and subtract about 8~10 psi. The original tires in '03 were 44psi max but some of the newer tires are now 51psi max, otherwise take the label on the car and if increase the pressure 3~5psi if your new tires are the 51psi max type.
Now if your talking track tire pressures, I would start a little high as it is always easier to bleed a little off at the track. I don't track my RS6, just DE a couple of times but I do have a track only 944Turbo and a on/off 911 and I highly recommend the use of a infrared pyrometer, they are accurate and have come down a lot in price. Run a couple of laps and then pull over if there is an are for it or pull completely off the track and check the temps across the treadwidth. The goal is a fairly constant temp. Hotter on the outside and a couple psi increase, hotter in the middle and bleed off 1 or 2 psi.

sallyh
June 3rd, 2009, 12:47
Hi

This got me thinking - I've got the new RS6 - the door panel says 44 psi front, 41 psi back for fully laden, 38 front 38 back for two people. It has the Pirelli P Zeros. So, basically front tyres more pressure. I rang the dealer who said that this was because the engine is heavy and over the front axle. I owned the previous RS6 and seem to remember it was 40 all around on the Continentals. This more pressure in the front stuck me as somewhat unusual and I'd be interested in anyone elses's comments.

Also, anyone with the new RS6, the tyre pressure and temperature monitoring system on the MMI, is it accurate? I was somewhat pleased to discover it but it seems a bit too good to be true - like I never need to check pressures, except to fill up, at the petrol station again?

All the best

Hy Octane
June 3rd, 2009, 20:04
On my car, the fuel flap says 36psi.
The Owners manual states this is the 'mimum safe operating pressure' so it should not drop below this.
However, I run my PS2s at 40-42psi cold depending on my mood..
36psi and the car wallows around turns etc.. 42 is stiffer but sometimes makes it hard to center the steering.. so its trial and error.

snoopra
June 3rd, 2009, 22:10
I'm running OEM S5 19", the MAX psi is 50 so I usually run 45 all around. Be sure to check/inflate cool tires. 40-42 sounds OK if you drive more than 20 miles at a time. BTW, OEM RS 6 Dunlop 18" are 50psi MAX.

gjg
June 10th, 2009, 17:38
I run 3 bar front and back, even wear, swap front/rear every 10-15k km. And Plus suspension is stiffer so you can't run low pressure anyway, not to mention high(-er) sped driving - not the granny fat arse american style :) :hihi:

Brav
June 10th, 2009, 18:00
FYI I was running 42 PSI on an empty (but me ) car, and i was getting cupped tires from too much wear in the center. I think its best at 38, and the car feels more solid now.. just my experience. This is for stock 18s. for each inch more in diameter, need to add 2-3 psi or so.