PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder what the RS6 battery weighs? Look here for the answer!

p3u
May 23rd, 2009, 02:03
I knew it was heavy, but what a pig at 67lbs! I took it out today and replaced it with a small, and light dry cell. Easiest 52lbs I've taken off the beast :rs6kiss:

Bigglezworth
May 23rd, 2009, 03:34
A pig yes, but some badly needed booty to balance out the nose heavy tank. Shifting that much weight on a track car wouldn't be desireable.

hahnmgh63
May 23rd, 2009, 04:11
I did the Odyssey 925T Dry cell, a little bigger than what you did but a little longer cranking and or storage life as one of the few drawbacks of the dry cells are that they don't keep their charge as long as a lead acid. My 925T save 39lbs, looks like you must have gotten a PC680 or something comparable in size.

p3u
May 23rd, 2009, 07:34
I did the Odyssey 925T Dry cell, a little bigger than what you did but a little longer cranking and or storage life as one of the few drawbacks of the dry cells are that they don't keep their charge as long as a lead acid. My 925T save 39lbs, looks like you must have gotten a PC680 or something comparable in size.

Yup, pc680 is the one. I used one one in my b6 s4 and it always worked fine through colorado winters.

hahnmgh63
May 23rd, 2009, 21:04
I have the PC680 in my '74 911 with a 3.6ltr '91 911 motor with 11.3 to 1 compression ratio and it cranks the motor good. The car is stripped RS type but with the newer/larger motor so almost not electrical accessories except for the factory analog quartz clock. I still need to trickle charge it if it will be sitting for more than 3~4 weeks. As for my RS6, with the 925T, because of all the electrical drain still occurring even when the key is off, it needs to be trickle charged if it is sitting for more than about 2 weeks. Let me know your experiences. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 680 or 925 for my tt. Lighter would definitley be better in the tt as the battery sits in the engine compartment in front.

Benman
May 26th, 2009, 18:31
A pig yes, but some badly needed booty to balance out the nose heavy tank. Shifting that much weight on a track car wouldn't be desireable.

It balances, but it is always better to eliminate weight when possible. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Bigglezworth
May 26th, 2009, 19:02
It balances, but it is always better to eliminate weight when possible. :cheers:

Ben:addict:I know it's semantics, but "always" doesn't count stand alone. The beast is already so heavy I often wonder why people spend so much time and effort trying to shed a few pounds here and there. Pound pinching is for track cars. This car will never be a 1/4 racer (even though a few drag here and there), and isn't a bonafide track car. It's an Autobahn cruiser. Some day's I'm sure I lose 5 pound with a good dump for goodness sakes. Add to that some dieting for a couple of months and another 10-15lbs is quickly gained.

Weight aside, I'd be simply happy to reduce the overall volume it takes up. :)

Tim

Benman
May 26th, 2009, 20:57
I know it's semantics, but "always" doesn't count...

You are absolutey, unquestionably, 100% correct.

My point was simply that the engineers at quattro Gmbh thought it prudent to take 67lbs out of the front and put it into the rear instead. However, if they had a simple way of completely eliminating the 67lbs all together, you can rest assured they would have. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

p3u
May 27th, 2009, 01:11
Here is how I look at it, it's the power to weight ratio.

At ~4200lbs the beast making 450hp is at 9.33lbs per hp.

Now if I take off say 5% of the weight (which is reasonable) the weight goes to 3990lbs, and 8.86lbs per hp.

To get the equivalent power to weight ratio with the stock weight the car needs to now make 473hp, so by reducing the weight the car is having the same effect as an extra 23hp.

Going further, when tuned say the car is making 510hp, which is 8.23lbs per hp, with 5% less weight down to 7.82lbs per hp, which in order to have the same power to weight ratio the stock weight needs 537hp.

It may not be a huge gain, but an equivalent of 23-27hp extra is fine by me!

snoopra
May 27th, 2009, 02:18
Sounds great! Now lets compile a list of "Thing to make her lighter":addict:
1. Light weight battery

hahnmgh63
May 27th, 2009, 02:43
1. Battery
2. Spare tire (personal choice)
3. Wheels (Forged)
4. Minor things such as Onstar (no longer works anyways), XM/Sirius modules (if not used, CD changer.
The first 3 are easy although #3 is probably the most expensive. My BBS Wheels and new tires (went from 18" to 19") came to about $5K but saved 36#, battery #39, spare tire? (around 40~50# rim & tire).

Bigglezworth
May 27th, 2009, 02:59
Guys - seriously. This isn't a track car. If you are hung up on accelerating faster, then get a different car. I mean really. You will get no where trying to lighten this car significantly enough to really recognize dramatic improvements in acceleration. This car is 4000lbs+. Driving without a spare? Driving without any of the luxury's a fine ride like this has? Driving through inclement weather without an AWD system. Not this cowboy.

Anyway, there will be some that will disagree entirely with me, but that's okay. I see a lot of really nice cars in everyones sig. Cars that would be better off focusing efforts on to improve already great power to weight ratios. Why not leave the nice luxury screamer alone and play with other cars where your money and efforts are more readily/quickly noticed.

JM $0.02.

BTW - My NSX is just a hair over 6.1lbs/hp and my GNX just under 4.0lbs/hp. I can't compare the beast to either of these.

p3u
May 27th, 2009, 03:56
Guys - seriously. This isn't a track car. If you are hung up on accelerating faster, then get a different car.

Whats wrong with wanting to make our car faster. If speed was the only thing I was worried about I would get a bike and be done. I love having a fast luxury car and want to get the most out of it.

I mean really. You will get no where trying to lighten this car significantly enough to really recognize dramatic improvements in acceleration. This car is 4000lbs+.

Every bit helps, its through small changes progress is made. Acceleration, braking, handeling, every bit helps.

Why not leave the nice luxury screamer alone and play with other cars where your money and efforts are more readily/quickly noticed.

For me anyways, this is my car, I don't have any other toys to mod. For me having one car that does everything is key, hence the RS6.

Will I ever track it, probably not, do I need more power, no, but do I want it to perform at its highest level without sacrificing drivability or luxury, you bet!

Not trying to bust your balls, but I love my car, and I want the most out of it. Don't we all? I think most people who post here are trying to figure out ways to improve upon what they have and this is one of them. :cheers:

Bigglezworth
May 27th, 2009, 04:05
Not busting my balls. I'm just being realistic when I say a 100-200 pounds in this tank will be difficult to feel any notice. Go to town. I hope you are happy with the end result.

Cheers
Tim

hahnmgh63
May 27th, 2009, 04:31
I disagree that even 100~150lbs will be difficult to tell the difference. One passenger is noticeable to me, not much but there. As for doing new Forged wheels, your lightening the car and in my book improving what the factory should have done. What cars in this original selling price class came with cast wheels, and very heavy cast in this case. At least Porsche, when they dropped the old Fuchs forged came out with lighter and lighter but very good cast designs, then eventually the hollow spokes. Removing the spare tire, how often have you used it. Taking a trip, and I would toss it back in. The battery, an improvement with no loss of ride or electrical performance with a top of the line dry cell, and they actually last longer than lead acid batteries.
I'm not making a track car but I would say at least 100+# of improvements can be done to the car. I have two track cars, a '74 911 that weights 2230# with a '91 3.6ltr motor that puts out about 300bhp, better acceleration than my RS6. I'm not stripping interior, losing Quattro, removing sound deadening (except for that under the hood just because I wanted to hear the motor a little better from outside the car when running). I just made over 100# of improvements to my car with no loss of ride, no more noise, no less comfort, but with a slight improvement in handling, braking, steering, and very slight but in acceleration. The Forged BBS wheels from day one install were noticable improvements in the steering feel of the car, and the rolling inertia improvements add up to more than the weight savings alone.