PDA

View Full Version : PZero Rosso maybe not as good as I thought

avdh
August 15th, 2003, 18:56
As we had a track day at Zwartkops Race Way, with the Audi Club, I was able to try out my S6's 3900 km (2240 miles) old Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres for the first time on a race track.

The PZero's may be 99% as good as the Bridgestone S-03's on public roads with dry tarmac, but when pushed hard, as it happens on a race track, which is much faster/harder than on public roads, it's a different story. The PZero's slide and screech a lot more and at lower speeds. The sliding was very progressive and in fact a hell of a lot of fun :), as it was pretty neutral and well balanced. The S-03's on the other hand grip better and are quieter, but when they start sliding (later than the PZero), it is much more biased towards understeering.

I estimate from the lap times, that the Pirelli's, at Zwartkops (2.5 km), are +/- 2 seconds slower than the Bridgestones, however I was not pushing as hard as the last time I was at that race track and the wear of the PZero's was actually minimal. Nonetheless, although I am not unhappy with the Pirelli's, I am a bit disappointed. After having been on the track, I have to concur with Tirerack.com's evaluation of the Pirelli's and the Bridgestone handling capacity on dry tarmac and their race track.

If only Bridgestone could make their S-03 tyres just a bit more comfortable...

nene
August 15th, 2003, 19:07
Thanks for the report Andre. Even though I use the RS6's PZero's mostly on public roads, it's good to know some limitations if I were to push it hard (wink wink)!

avdh
August 15th, 2003, 19:12
You have 18" wheels which may help compared with my 17"

Also, for normal road use, because they seem to understeer less, before the back starts to slide, the Pirelli's maybe more suited to the RS6, as more power may create more understeering with this chassis.

I have ordered Pirelli's with my RS6, so if I am not 10 seconds faster on that race track I'll be real disapointed :)