PDA

View Full Version : Best Chip for the US RS6?

gmbh6
August 15th, 2003, 17:02
what do you guys recommend using in order to keep the E55 in the rearview mirror?

and also is it true that the RS6's h.p. was lowered for emissions in the US and can be easily (or not so easily) pushed above 600?

:addict:

nene
August 15th, 2003, 17:25
I don't particularly like the "what's the best" type of questions, but more like "what seems to be the favorite..." type.

Nonetheless, I had chosen to go with MTM for the S4, and I'll probably do the same for the RS6 if I ever decide to do so.
Just a choice. I still hate dealing with Joe Hoppen in FL, but what can I do.

gmbh6
August 15th, 2003, 17:29
Originally posted by nene
I don't particularly like the "what's the best" type of questions, but more like "what seems to be the favorite..." type.....
I hear ya' :)

.....thanks for the input.

I know the car is new and would like to continue hearing if anyones had done any chipping and what they think of the change in performance.

Benman
August 15th, 2003, 18:18
an interesting thing i learned while i was at quattro GmbH was how much they favored Abt OVER MTM. i know there have been comments here to indicate otherwise (so that's why i specifically asked) but when i asked what tuner company would get their recommendation it was a 4 out of 5 answer: Abt. only 1 quattro employee i asked chose MTM over Abt. the other 4 said they would use Abt products on there own personal vehicles (and 3 of them DID). i know this doesn't exactly answer your question but i thoght it was worth posting.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

avdh
August 15th, 2003, 19:34
Abt races Audi's, so there may be some bias there.....

nene
August 15th, 2003, 20:44
That's definitely a good post Ben. When I was trying to choose a chip for the S4, the only two chips I considered were Abt and MTM. It just came down to the fact that a couple of my friends already had Abt, and no one had MTM. I figured I'd be the odd ball, and went with MTM.

I'm sure they are both very good products nonetheless, as I highly considered each of them, and knew that was making a very good choice either way

stratmosphere
August 15th, 2003, 21:03
We have one here at Stratmosphere from O.CT. So far Stage 1 or Stage 2 (with Milltek catback). There will be a review of the car and the chip/exhaust on www.audiworld.com in the next couple of weeks. -Pete, Stratmosphere
O.CT Tuning (http://www.stratmosphere.com/oct.htm)

http://www.stratmosphere.com/rs6_entire_320.jpg

nene
August 15th, 2003, 21:58
Hey Pete,

Any chance you can forward your findings, logs, graphs, data, experience to Erik, so he can post it here? Maybe you can just do an identical post here. I think the RS6 community in this forum might be larger, since this forum seems to cater to a more worldwide community. As you know, of the 5+K RS6s made, only less then 1K made it to the US. You're bound to get better exposure here!!!

Just a tought....

TheBrit
August 16th, 2003, 15:20
Originally posted by Benman
an interesting thing i learned while i was at quattro GmbH was how much they favored Abt OVER MTM.
Abt are supposed to have worked very closely with quattro Gmbh on their RS 6 tuning products. In the UK, the Abt chip for the RS 6 is the only currently "warrantyable" mod.

You order it though your delaer, they remove the ECU (and TCM as well IIRC) and send it to Abt in Germany. Once it's been modded, it goes to quattro for their blessing and is then returned to the UK to be re-fitted by the dealer.

It's a £3k mod (quite a lot just for chipping), but it's the only way to guarantee your warranty.

Finnus
August 16th, 2003, 17:19
In the UK, the Abt chip for the RS 6 is the only currently "warrantyable" mod.

Does anyone know if this ABT chip will be available in the US through Audi with warranty intact?

Finnus

Erik
August 16th, 2003, 17:34
There are lots of tuners available. I have to try to stay as neutral as possible. I have a MTM chip in my 2.7T and it works fine.

Hohenester is another fine tuner, but currently unavailable in the USA (and most of Europe as well in fact.)

I know this car http://www.rs6.com/articles/008.html with 500 hp Hohenester is more or less able to keep up with the E55 AMG.

So if you go for stage II maybe it's enough? Stage III will probably make it safer... :D
Unfortunately the RS6 has more loss in the transmission due to quattro. It also has a air drag (?) that is not as good which will make it difficult at really high speeds. Pros and cons with everything...

luckylady
August 16th, 2003, 19:08
what about the 600 hp question? does anyone know?

Benman
August 16th, 2003, 20:22
The Brit,

that's a good point you bring up about the warranty. Abt does work closely with quattro. i believe the same is the case in Germany. i am not sure if the MTM offers the same warranty in Germany or not.

Finnus,

unfortunately AOA is WAY to ANAL to allow a warranty on an Abt product (still aftermarket in their eyes). if someone knows otherwise than PLEASE let me know cause i would absolutely put a warrantied chip on mine!!!:cheers:

Bauer
August 16th, 2003, 22:24
Ben-

I posed this question to an US Audi tech factory rep that I have devloped a relationship with in my area. His response was that nothing really voids the warranty but it has to be considered when repairs a to be paid for. So my guess would be if you chip the car and the tranny blows they would probably not cover it or maybey part of it. Who knows its just what I have been told... take it for what its worth.

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 Sept build

gmbh6
August 17th, 2003, 02:49
NICE!

Great Info everyone......thanks. :addict:

Bauer
August 17th, 2003, 18:09
I was just thinking of something......I am in California and the consumer laws tend to favor the customer so what the factory rep told me may not apply in other states...just a thought. I would do some investgative work before putting a chip in the car.....I dont want to give anyone the wrong info.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6

gjg
August 17th, 2003, 21:14
Once upon a time I had a problem with AC on 95.5 S6 on East Coast and Audi rep told me that since the car was modified he is not even allowed to work on it.

For the same car the drive shaft bearing failure was referred as "too much power" by engine modification .... (about 390 hp)

Dealer did cover the repair though but the moral of the story is unless you get this from AOA in writing and signed by two witnesses forget about warranty repairs on modified car.

Abt/MTM chip - Abt is about 630 NM torque, MTM 690 NM (as listed on their websites), price is about $50 more on Abt (in mainland Europe as per their Euro price pages).

Abt claims 280 lm/h as top, MTM about 300 km/h - not that this would make any difference in US and surely not in CA unless you want to spent time behind bars and be driven for a while .....

IME I had MTM on 4 S cars, Lehman on another and I will use MTM.

gg

Muju
August 17th, 2003, 21:54
hey guys,

Ive tried both abt and mtm on a4 and abt is completely shit compared to mtm remapping. I certainly think that there is some bias since audi and abt do a whole load of shit together.

gmbh6
August 17th, 2003, 22:47
Is it too costly to just switch the stock chip back in when it has to go to the dealer?

Benman
August 18th, 2003, 15:40
Originally posted by Muju
hey guys,
Ive tried both abt and mtm on a4 and abt is completely shit compared to mtm remapping. I certainly think that there is some bias since audi and abt do a whole load of shit together.

although the MTM chip might offer some advantages i would SERIOUSLY doubt that the Abt is "completely s... compared to mtm"

Bauer,

i heard a similar answer from my dealer about the warranty. they said it (any reputable tuner) should not affect the warranty of the Beast. however, as soon as i asked if something could be put in writing then the story changed. then it was, "well, i'm not too sure we could do that. i think AOA takes those case by case."

my answer was, "so, basically no warranty". their reply indicated they were not too sure. i would want to be DARN sure with RS 6 if what i plan to do will be warrantied or not.:cheers:

Bauer
August 18th, 2003, 16:14
Ben,

Ageed.....As much as an extra 50 to 80 hp increase would be welcome. A $10,000 unwarrantied transmission replacement would not.

Bauer

01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 comming soon to a garage near me

GmbHouse
August 19th, 2003, 02:01
I chipped my last A6 2.7T (MTM) and it blew a turbo about 6 months later. When the dealer was checking it out there happened to be an AoA service rep in the shop. He was interested to see a blown turbo show up. Unfortunately when they found out it had been chipped they denied warranty coverage. I ended up replacing both turbos on my nickel - actually lots of my nickels.

gregoryindiana
August 19th, 2003, 04:54
Your story doesn't, unfortunately, surprise me on 2 counts.

One, that a blown turbo would be seen in Denver area, with high altitude potential for overspeeding the turbos.

two, that A of A would deny coverage for an item whose demise could be laid pretty squarely at the feet of the performance upgrade component. If , however, your brakes had gone, then it would be harder th blame the chip, even though it might have contributed. Heavy braking, even with the stock ECU, could shorten brake life.

With all that's been said, it still boils down to elements of risk. If the warranty coverage is important, then don't tinker. If you do, this thread should have opened some eyes.

I have played both ways; waited with an old 5000 quattro when cash was tight, and plunged ahead after 1 year with an ur S4.

Don't know yet for the RS6, but hard to imagine 450 bhp won't be enough. If I get dusted by another 4 door sedan, I might change my mind. But what are the odds of that here?

Muju
August 19th, 2003, 09:14
all tunners such as mtm and abt all have 1 year warrenty (or how do u spell it=)) on there chips or remapps. I know for sure that on my audi a4 i got a mtm chip 205bhp stage and 329nm of torque and my friend has an a4 with abt chip 220bhp and 292nm of torque man he cant even keep up with my when i rip it on third to fourth to fifth. His got nothing on me. Im not completley sure about this following info:

does abt do chipping or ecu remapping? since chipping i dont recommend because all Vw concern car engines are all different. For example audi 1.8T engine in my car would differ a little from lets say my friend audi a4 1.8T. Thats why i think mtm is a whole lot better because they can personally tune your car by hand , if you know what i mean and abt is just a chip which goes into all audi a4 a.8T engines. If you read magazines you will notice mtm is always ahead of almost all tunners in the world.

later,
pimp=)

Jetset
August 19th, 2003, 10:31
for GmBhouse; I´ve remapped (chipped)my allroad quattro biturbo by mtm, have had it for two years and driven about
60 000 km and it still runs like an angel....

In my opinion if your turbos blew it´s done by Audi guality:p or by you...;)

no hard feelings.....:bye:

GmbHouse
August 19th, 2003, 17:24
It was an Audi issue. They had a number of problems with the turbos on the 2000 A6 2.7T and actually made some design changes in 2001. Since I was paying for the replacements myself I went ahead and did a full MTM Stage 4 mod. It ran perfectly for the 2 years I owned the car. The point is, Audi design problem or not, it allowed them to duck responsibility.

Jetset
August 19th, 2003, 22:05
U´re definetly rirght.... those suc...s :deal:

Hockenheim
August 20th, 2003, 04:09
Talked to APR rep today, seems that APR is working on their version of serial programming for the RS6. So no soldering but rather uploading the program via the OBDII port.
4 programs to switch between, including 100 and 104 octane.
Switchable via cruise control.
Should be ready in a couple of weeks or so. He didnt' have any numbers yet.

Erik
August 20th, 2003, 07:57
Originally posted by Hockenheim
Switchable via cruise control.

:eek: :bigeyes:

Finnus
August 20th, 2003, 14:06
Unfortunately when they found out it had been chipped they denied warranty coverage.

A chipped S4 from my dealership blew a turbo in 2001 & Audi honored the warranty. Then he blew the transmission. They didn't honor that. I guess enough was enough. I'm not sure who's chip it was.

Finnus

djinn
September 16th, 2003, 17:26
Hi !

I've just registered and ýi loved your site. I live in Turkey and actually i don't know about your tuning companies. But i think i can solve your problem if you know about engines well. First of all tou can increase the turbo pressure. it adds like 100 hp . normally increasing the turbo pressure has a very big effect on engines. but this Audi engine is very powerful anyway. Whatever... Then, you can make chip tuning to your car. It makes 50-75 hp more. ýf you want, you can make supercharge system to your car.After all your car will neary 650 hp. now you can't see E 55's at your rearview mirror because they can't pass you with their power.

Phinnbill
September 19th, 2003, 17:20
Best Chip for US RS6

I did not see anywhere in this thread the mention of Powerchip. Perhaps they are better known for their chips (software upgrades actually) for BMW's. On the BMW boards (such as m5board.com), Powerchip is the chip software of choice as so far it does not appear detectable by BMW and it works.

On their website I see that Powerchip offers chip upgrades for Audi's. For the RS6 they are offering a boost in hp to between 477 and 486, and between 435 and 444 for torque. Their chip is an actual chip (Surface Mount Technology) that replaces the Audi chip. It sells for $1k usd. For those of you in Europe and other countries, I believe Powerchip is available internationally.

Anyone have any experience with Powerchip (and no I do not work for Powerchip)?

Note to moderator Erik, Gustav from m5board.com can speak to Powerchip use in BMW's and Porsche's.