PDA

View Full Version : RS5, stop gap or genuine contender?

Bobbersmill
May 15th, 2009, 11:59
Having had my name down for some time im just a little concerned that this maybe a parts bin excersise. I have no evidence or reasoning only that given we are in a time when turbos and forced industion seem to be the green manufacturers weapon of choice a modified B7 RS4 doesnt seem to fit the bill. My other concern is that people are very price sensitive and I can only see this car working at a base price of around 50k. If Car magazine are correct 60k would seem OTT as you will add atleast 5k worth of extras, stick ceramics on and you are hitting 70k.
In recent times the new M3 and RS6 have been a victim of overpricing depsite the ability of both cars. I have never seen an rs6 on the road and very few m3s.
Im no techno guru but I just hope this car has something special other than a revamped S5 with a tweaked B7 lump in it.

iconcls
May 15th, 2009, 13:07
Sounds like it's shaping up to be a total off the shelf mutt and I'm disgusted by it. At least the C5 RS 6 offered us a unique engine, here the delta is similar to that of the A5 to S5 jump, SKIP. I'm also on a list at my dealer, but if this RS 5 has that anemic RS 4 engine and no FI, I'm going to tell Audi to shove it and keep their rebadged RS 4. I'm dying to get a new ride to replace my RS 6 now, but this afterthought car will not do, I need a non-econobox, non-truck, FI, AWD with some serious scoot abilities yesterday, damn it!

RXBG
May 15th, 2009, 14:07
two very honest posts. i like that. however, allow me to place a perspective on things. the original gallardo engine was a 5.0 liter V10, high revving N/A making 480 hp and about 380 lb/ft torque. now imagine a lighter almost exact engine minus two cylinders. hp would be a little less!!! and the only major deficit would be in torque vs the V10, but the fuel economy could be sig better- AND (if you're into it) allow for DSG fitment given the lower torque rating.

such an angine would be a gem in my book, especially in an RS5 fitment. as straightforward as it seems now i don't think it will simply be a mild update of the RS4 engine. i think there will be siginificantly more to it than that. it could very well be slightly larger in displacement to produce a bit more torque as well- say 350 lb/ft.

the issue of pricing is crucial. and i agree that audi will have to be very careful to offer it without too many standard options to make it more palatable for the consumer. if they can price it to the current M3 level they will have a winner.

we should know everything in about 2 months.

Leadfoot
May 15th, 2009, 14:55
So you would have preferred a turbo engine instead of another N/A unit, I can agree with that but don't for one minute think that the RS5 will not dramatically improve on the existing RS4 or the previous RS4 before that. This will be a landmark model for Audi for a number of reasons, first it will be the first to be offered with S/Tronic and not the ordinary one but one tuned to this engine and the RS characteristics. Secondly it's the first RS model to use the new MLP platform with all it's benefits in weight distribution and last but by no means least it will be the first RS model to be fitted with a torque vectoring diff.

All of these things will make the RS5 totally different and totally better than ever before. Ignore the engine choice and enjoy all of the other great elements that are coming together for the first time.

Put it another way, this thing will wipe the floor with either the C63 or the mighty M3, of this I am in no doubt. ;)

Bobbersmill
May 15th, 2009, 15:02
two very honest posts. i like that. however, allow me to place a perspective on things. the original gallardo engine was a 5.0 liter V10, high revving N/A making 480 hp and about 380 lb/ft torque. now imagine a lighter almost exact engine minus two cylinders. hp would be a little less!!! and the only major deficit would be in torque vs the V10, but the fuel economy could be sig better- AND (if you're into it) allow for DSG fitment given the lower torque rating.

such an angine would be a gem in my book, especially in an RS5 fitment. as straightforward as it seems now i don't think it will simply be a mild update of the RS4 engine. i think there will be siginificantly more to it than that. it could very well be slightly larger in displacement to produce a bit more torque as well- say 350 lb/ft.

the issue of pricing is crucial. and i agree that audi will have to be very careful to offer it without too many standard options to make it more palatable for the consumer. if they can price it to the current M3 level they will have a winner.

we should know everything in about 2 months.
I sincerley hope so. I have just put on hold a very good deal on a new 997 C4s that will not be there in 2 months time.
I really want it to be good and even if it had the old RS4 engine in I would still consider it if it were 50k but not at 60k. For 60k It needs to be a significant step up dynamically to a B7 RS4 and by that I mean, lighter than an s5, reduced understeer, better braking, improved economy over RS4 and hopefully if they are going to presist with DRC then make it work (I suspect they will go magnetic ride). Finally if all that is in place, then it needs to look as mean as possible with wheels that fit the arches perfectly (not like the s5 somewhat weedy looking stance) and hopefully some subtle but noticeable arch extensions and sound like a nascar with a chest infection.
Come on Audi do it!!

Bobbersmill
May 15th, 2009, 15:06
So you would have preferred a turbo engine instead of another N/A unit, I can agree with that but don't for one minute think that the RS5 will not dramatically improve on the existing RS4 or the previous RS4 before that. This will be a landmark model for Audi for a number of reasons, first it will be the first to be offered with S/Tronic and not the ordinary one but one tuned to this engine and the RS characteristics. Secondly it's the first RS model to use the new MLP platform with all it's benefits in weight distribution and last but by no means least it will be the first RS model to be fitted with a torque vectoring diff.

All of these things will make the RS5 totally different and totally better than ever before. Ignore the engine choice and enjoy all of the other great elements that are coming together for the first time.

Put it another way, this thing will wipe the floor with either the C63 or the mighty M3, of this I am in no doubt. ;)

I actually want it to be n/a, i was just a bit worried they may tweak the ecu of the B7 RS4 engine and stick flared arches on.
Again I sincerely hope you are right as Im trawling the internet daily in the hope of more info.

QuattroFun
May 15th, 2009, 17:43
Come on, we all know that the RS5 will be more expensive than a M3 Coupe - by at least 10% and probably by more like 20%. Period. As far as using the parts bin, what are 911s then? I would much rather see Audi honing the RS4 further with an upgraded engine, new platform and new sportdiff + DSG into something really good than start all over again in all haste and end up with bloated and blunt coupe-version of the RS6 MkI.

Bobbersmill
May 15th, 2009, 18:13
Come on, we all know that the RS5 will be more expensive than a M3 Coupe - by at least 10% and probably by more like 20%. Period. As far as using the parts bin, what are 911s then? I would much rather see Audi honing the RS4 further with an upgraded engine, new platform and new sportdiff + DSG into something really good than start all over again in all haste and end up with bloated and blunt coupe-version of the RS6 MkI.
Well no we dont as it has not been released!!
Like I said the m3 and rs6 are both excellent cars but the fact is that even before the recession not many were prepared to take the plunge, why? I suspect price!
Im not suggesting it will be a parts bin excersise merely hoping that it isnt because I really want one.
Cant see the relevance of the 911 comment. Is there another Porsche model that shares the 997 engine? I thought the boxster cayman and cayenne engines were different? As far as I am aware the front wings bonnet, barkes and possibly some suspension components may get carries over from 911 to boxster to cayman. Its not done any of them any harm has it?

QuattroFun
May 15th, 2009, 18:29
Well no we dont as it has not been released!!
Like I said the m3 and rs6 are both excellent cars but the fact is that even before the recession not many were prepared to take the plunge, why? I suspect price!
Im not suggesting it will be a parts bin excersise merely hoping that it isnt because I really want one.
Cant see the relevance of the 911 comment. Is there another Porsche model that shares the 997 engine? I thought the boxster cayman and cayenne engines were different? As far as I am aware the front wings bonnet, barkes and possibly some suspension components may get carries over from 911 to boxster to cayman. Its not done any of them any harm has it?

Well, I am sure we all hope it will be cheap as I plan to get one too - but alas it won't. Just look at the RS6 MkII and TTRS vs. competition and S versions. As far as 911 is concerned, I was referring to thirty years of honing more or less the same concept and in recent history by tweaking basically the same engine for each successive generations - historical parts bin. DRC is one example of this. (though mine has broken down once). They know what they want the 911 to be, although it has also changed character slightly over time. Great, great car from a flawed basis enabled by patient development. Also, 911 is a huge family of basically the same car in different forms and very roughly the same engine from this or previous gen in different set-ups. Evolution, honing and cost sharing both across time and across versions. Yet reasonable exclusivity and high integrity of engineering from top class technology. Unlike the M3 or AMGs.

RXBG
May 15th, 2009, 21:07
Bobber- i don't see it being in the 50's. i mean, the B8 A4 3.2 is easily 50K fully loaded. 50K range is for the S4. the RS4 cost 70K in 2007. if audi prices the RS5 with all the go fast goodies std and in in the 65K range here in the US, as they expect they will, they'll have a winner. this car will undercut a wimpy base 911 by about 10K!!!

Bobbersmill
May 15th, 2009, 22:12
Im in the uk so im talking £s. The rs4 here was 50k (£). A C4s here is 70k and thats what it will be competing with in my choice.

iconcls
May 16th, 2009, 12:35
Bring me a real RS car with forced induction and consequently some real torque--I don't care what it costs-- or I'm getting (another) GT-R

HKS786
May 16th, 2009, 18:11

+1 to all points.

Lets not forget the RS4 and M3 arent worlds apart, so any improvement on RS4 performance will be great. As Leadie pointed out there are a good few technical improvements to the specification that will make the RS5 ahead from the RS4 and M3.