PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions - CEL and dash info

skyegtb
May 13th, 2009, 23:11
1) When I start my car in the morning the dash will illuminate a large OK in orange pixels after about 10 seconds on the driver info panel. What is the car telling me is 'OK'?

2) I recently drove a brand new A3 and noticed that when the engine was started the check engine light (among others) was illuminated for about 3 seconds after the car started (small symbol in orange of an engine). I do not recall ever seeing the same symbol on my 2003 RS6 dash and started to think that the LED for this symbol may be dead. What should you see on the dash of your car when you turn on the ignition and start the engine? I have 3 orange symbols appear near the rev counter, EPC, traction and one other but all extingush immediately the engine has started. Is this normal? By the speedo I can see the brake warning light and the battery warning light only. Also, what does the CEL actually look like on an RS6, does anyone have a pic?

Hy Octane
May 13th, 2009, 23:43
1. The OK refers to an automatic check of essential functions ..it is in this box where a symbol will appear if you have a problem..

2. The CEL is located in the speedometer face. Check for it next time you turn on the ignition. Yes it is normal for the lights to go out after start..
CEL is same as on all cars. small engine with a 'Check' over it.

skyegtb
May 14th, 2009, 05:15
1. The OK refers to an automatic check of essential functions ..it is in this box where a symbol will appear if you have a problem..

2. The CEL is located in the speedometer face. Check for it next time you turn on the ignition. Yes it is normal for the lights to go out after start..
CEL is same as on all cars. small engine with a 'Check' over it.
Thanks for the reply. This does however prove to me that my CEL must either be disconnected or have a blown bulb as it never appears (and never has in the year I have owned the car). I currently have a falt code related to an oxygen sensor and kind of expected the CEL to be illuminated, I feel this expalins why. I will probably remove the instrument cluster later and replace the bulb.
Again, thanks for the assistance,