PDA

View Full Version : DRC going out me thinks, but not sure...

p3u
May 13th, 2009, 03:40
I've noticed the last two days a faint clunking sound form the right rear, only when on fairly level roads and at speeds of 20-40mph. Is this the dreaded clunk of DRC failing?

I've been in my friends RS6 with a dead DRC and it is violent the way it thumps, is what I have just the beginning?

Time for a new DRC perhapes? :hahahehe:

DuckWingDuck
May 13th, 2009, 03:47
do the press test.

p3u
May 13th, 2009, 03:49
What do I look for when doing this?

DuckWingDuck
May 13th, 2009, 05:00
A fully pressurized system should not allow you to push the car any more than half an inch to an inch on any corner.

SAF
May 13th, 2009, 05:38
If you hear clunk and nothing is loose in your trunk, your DRC is now junk.

That sound is a sure sign, but just put it on a lift and check for fluid on the struts.

mmaturo
May 13th, 2009, 07:00
A fully pressurized system should not allow you to push the car any more than half an inch to an inch on any corner.

So if it does go down more and/or rebounds more than once its shot. Clunking where you describe is it though. Sounds like something is loose but nothing is.

DuckWingDuck
May 13th, 2009, 17:08
well, that's just a very unscientific test, so the fact that it may go down isn't a 100% indicator that the DRC is shot; just increases the likelihood

p3u
May 13th, 2009, 17:18
Did the test, I would say it moves about half an inch. Hmmmmmmm

SAF
May 13th, 2009, 19:29
Roll slowly over a speed bump (or curb or 4x4) at an angle so that only the front right and then front left wheels are causing the strut to compress. Hear a clunk? Do the same while backing up. If it is like mine was (four different times), one (or both) of the corresponding diagnal approaches should generate the clunking sound, which means you are low on fluid and pressure in a central valve.

Every time I pulled in or out of my driveway onto the street I would hear it, and that is when it was first noticable because it was quieter in the car than driving down the road.

DHall1
May 13th, 2009, 19:57
Well said.

A very good test.

Roll slowly over a speed bump (or curb or 4x4) at an angle so that only the front right and then front left wheels are causing the strut to compress. Hear a clunk? Do the same while backing up. If it is like mine was (four different times), one (or both) of the corresponding diagnal approaches should generate the clunking sound, which means you are low on fluid and pressure in a central valve.

Every time I pulled in or out of my driveway onto the street I would hear it, and that is when it was first noticable because it was quieter in the car than driving down the road.