PDA

View Full Version : Question about Veyron's and VW/Audi's DSG/S-Tronic

inF
May 12th, 2009, 22:09
Hello,

1) Are DSG and S-Tronic completely made by BorgWarner? Or does BorgWarner supply them partly, such as with their clutch and clutch control module, etc..?

2) What's the internal code for the latest 7-speed S-Tronic (DQ???) ? And which transmissions do DQ350 and DQ500 refer to?

3) Does Veyron's gearbox contain any BorgWarner component?

Thanks.

And

Qisha
May 13th, 2009, 07:27
Dear inF,

Borg Warner is a engineering cooperation partner. All transmissions within the Volkswagen group are made in own facilities (Germany: Kassel). Most of the parts are also produced within this facilities, minor quantities of parts are coming from suppliers.

Latest S-tronic (7-speed) for production (Audi): DQ500
(VW): DQ250

The 7-speed DCT within the Bugatti Veyron is made by Ricardo.

Qisha

inF
May 13th, 2009, 09:00
Dear Qisha,

I've read that DQ250 has been developed by BorgWarner but the new DQ500 is engineered by VW. Is this correct? And who developed DQ200? Lastly do you know which parts BorgWarner exactly supplies?

http://app.quotemedia.com/quotetools/demo/newsStoryWrapper.htm
"A leader in the globalization of dual-clutch transmission technology for ten years, BorgWarner's family of DualTronic(R) technologies combines the efficiency of a manual gearbox with the functionality of a fully automatic transmission, delivering seamless powerflow, improved fuel efficiency and a fun-to-drive experience. Customers include VW, Audi, Bugatti, SAIC, Nissan and GETRAG PowerShift(R) dual-clutch transmission programs with five additional global automakers including BMW."

So Veyron's gearbox does not contain any BorgWarner part?

Finally, do you know DQ500's total weight?

Thank you.

And

Leadfoot
May 13th, 2009, 16:27
This is the first time I have ever heard the Bugatti Veyron and BorgWarner mentioned in the same sentence and like Qisha already said the new S/Tronic (DQ500) is a VAG product, developed in-house. This may explain why the DQ500 was so long in the coming to production and why it works so perfectly.

tailpipe
May 13th, 2009, 18:19
I thought Ricardo designed Veyron's greabox and BorgWarner made it?

mjrr
May 13th, 2009, 20:15
I can definitly say, that none of the DQs are only made VAG. For the DQ250 Siemens and Temik developed the controller and VW and BorgWarner Transmission made the hardware-parts. For the DQ200 the company Luk became the surcharge instead of BorgWarner. But it was also a teamwork with VW.

The Bugatti gearbox is constructed and I think also made from Ricardo in England.

cheers
mjrr

inF
May 14th, 2009, 14:45
Thank you for your answers.

I've sent an e-mail to dual clutch transmission manufacturers on overheat issue in extremely congested traffic conditions. Ricardo replied as following:

"There should be no problem with a wet clutch based DCT as the oil itself is cooled and the system should be designed with sufficient capacity. Current dry clutch systems have a limitation on the number of starts that can be performed for a given gradient/torque demand. We understand that VW published some data on this at the Berlin 2008 CTi symposium."

Do you know anything about that "start limitation"?

In addition, does anybody know what is Veyron's DSG's exact shift time, maximum torque capacity and total weight?

Thank you.

And

Mr Balsen
May 14th, 2009, 15:02
I can give you its price: 65000 euros...

Frederic

Leadfoot
May 14th, 2009, 15:28
Do you know anything about that "start limitation"?

In addition, does anybody know what is Veyron's DSG's exact shift time, maximum torque capacity and total weight?

Thank you.

And

Maximum torque capacity = 1106ft/lbs (185ft/lbs more than it produces)
Shift time = less than 150ms (that means the maximum time is less than 150ms), actual shift time is probably closer to 10~15ms in full attack mode on up shifts.
Total weight = this is a guess but I think I remembered hearing it was approx 80kgs

inF
May 20th, 2009, 16:40
Thank you.

Does the S3 S-Tronic use DQ250? If so, how can it handle 350 Nm? DQ250 was said to be limited with 350 Nm of torque.. by a shave?

inF
May 22nd, 2009, 15:31
I can give you its price: 65000 euros...

Frederic

Hello,

http://www.arrides.com/ARR/forums/index.php?showtopic=3389&st=0&p=50709&#entry50709

It says $123,200 (which is equivalent to ~€88,000) here?..

The RS6
May 22nd, 2009, 23:28
Hello,

http://www.arrides.com/ARR/forums/index.php?showtopic=3389&st=0&p=50709&#entry50709

It says $123,200 (which is equivalent to ~€88,000) here?..

That probably includes installation, servicing and some other costs...:mech: