PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 R-Tronic vs Porsche 997 Carrera 2 S PDK

trev0006
May 12th, 2009, 20:58
Audi R8 R-Tronic (http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09/05-12-09page-Audi-R8-R-Tronic-vs-Porsche-997-Carrera-2-S-PDK.htm) vs Porsche 997 Carrera 2 S PDK (http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09/05-12-09page-Audi-R8-R-Tronic-vs-Porsche-997-Carrera-2-S-PDK.htm) rolling race, the new PDK is fast.

Spillies
May 13th, 2009, 00:34
That is impossible, either the Porsche is tuned or the R8 has lost some horses. :hihi:

The R8 V8 is even faster from 0 to 60mph than the Porsche... :deal:

wedouglas
May 13th, 2009, 02:37
Looks about right to me. The normal 997 C2S was just as fast, so of course the new one is faster.

p3u
May 13th, 2009, 03:53
How the hell are Porshe's so much faster with so much less power!

M3 owner
May 13th, 2009, 04:40
It always surprises me that ppl still view the God like 911 with so much skepticism.I saw this vid on Gustav’s website days ago but didn’t post it here 4 obvious reasons. Abenteuer Auto has done many comparisons between these 2 cars & the 911 has come out on top in every conceivable way EVERY TIME.Check out the vids on Youtube.

911 is the bench mark 4 a very good reason.

wedouglas
May 13th, 2009, 06:23
How the hell are Porshe's so much faster with so much less power!

So much? It's like 35hp difference...

RXBG
May 13th, 2009, 14:32
you guys forget three major things.

1. the 911 was not awd.
2. the r-tronic is shitty for drag racing
3. the porsche has DSG

the DSG is the single most important reason the porsche is faster. if the R8 had one it would have destroyed the porsche.

if the V10 R8 had one it would be insane and be as fast around the ring as the ZR1.

Leadfoot
May 13th, 2009, 16:10
you guys forget three major things.

1. the 911 was not awd.
2. the r-tronic is shitty for drag racing
3. the porsche has DSG

the DSG is the single most important reason the porsche is faster. if the R8 had one it would have destroyed the porsche.

if the V10 R8 had one it would be insane and be as fast around the ring as the ZR1.

DSG does make a difference, this is obvious with what is seen here. But regardless of whether or not the R8v10 would be as quick as the ZR1 if it had DSG is of no importance, facts are it doesn't (not yet) so the answer I want to know is how good a lap time is will do in either manual or R/Tronic form and only then will we be able to make an educated guess as to how close to the Corvette it could get.

I somehow doubt that DSG could make more than 3-4 seconds on a track like the ring but without any supplied data from any source this estimate could either be spot on or simply miles off.

One thing is certain about the race between the R8 and 997.2C2S is that the new DI engine has given the 997 a much welcome boost in performance without harming either the emissions or it's economy, in fact both have greatly been improved.

And who said the 6 cylinder boxer engine's days were numbered. ;)

RXBG
May 13th, 2009, 16:39
DSG does make a difference, this is obvious with what is seen here. But regardless of whether or not the R8v10 would be as quick as the ZR1 if it had DSG is of no importance, facts are it doesn't (not yet) so the answer I want to know is how good a lap time is will do in either manual or R/Tronic form and only then will we be able to make an educated guess as to how close to the Corvette it could get.

I somehow doubt that DSG could make more than 3-4 seconds on a track like the ring but without any supplied data from any source this estimate could either be spot on or simply miles off.

One thing is certain about the race between the R8 and 997.2C2S is that the new DI engine has given the 997 a much welcome boost in performance without harming either the emissions or it's economy, in fact both have greatly been improved.

And who said the 6 cylinder boxer engine's days were numbered. ;)

on the contrary. the issue of DSG and V10 to ZR1 ring times is very relevant. using these two cars as an example would shed light on the relative merits of the other differences between these and other cars. and on the relative importance on the very issue of the DSG itself. the biggest omission in audi's spec sheet across the line is the DSG. it astounds me how it is not offered as openly as it should be, how vw hasn't made it a priority to put it into its cars. i can understand the R8 as it was based originally on the lambo platform- and i can understand not putting it into the R8 thus far. when the time comes and a new R8 is offered with it it will/should be the second coming.

the DSG is a revolution in performance. i have been saying this for over a year now. if the GTR didn't have one it wouldn't be the big show it is now.

Leadfoot
May 13th, 2009, 17:02
I can't agree that the GTR wouldn't still be as big as it presently is, even without DCT. It might not produce the same 3.3s 0-60mph runs or lap the ring in the time it's illegally did but it wouldn't be that far off, there is a lot more to the GTR than it's transmission, like it's power, it's awd system and not to forget it's cracking price.

Regarding your comments on the ZR1 and R8, the Corvette doesn't DCT either so what ever time the R8 would do with DCT then by the same merit the ZR1 would also improve. Lets wait for some concrete data of lap times on the ring of the R8v10 and then discuss what would be capable.

On the subject of DCT vs manual around the ring and what is the potential improvement, surely the new 997 has been tested with both transmissions, but I suppose if the tests aren't conducted on the same day then chances are true comparisons will be affected.

Spillies
May 13th, 2009, 18:03
That is impossible, either the Porsche is tuned or the R8 has lost some horses. :hihi:

The R8 V8 is even faster from 0 to 60mph than the Porsche... :deal:

Owkay, I take back my words, I didn't pay attention that this R8 had a R-tronic, that's explaned the wide gap between the P and the R8 at the end of the airfield I think.

This PDK is a ingenious thing! :bow:

RXBG
May 13th, 2009, 18:12
Owkay, I take back my words, I didn't pay attention that this R8 had a R-tronic, that's explaned the wide gap between the P and the R8 at the end of the airfield I think.

This PDK is a ingenious thing! :bow:

and to think that audi had it before porsche in the lowly TT.

:doh:

Spillies
May 13th, 2009, 18:23
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=ae4bbc2e3a7349c9aba594c58978034e&area=videos

Porsche 997 S vs. Audi R8 V8 from 0 to 60 mph

Somewere at 13:30, didn't expect such difference... :bigeyes:

RXBG
May 13th, 2009, 20:10
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=ae4bbc2e3a7349c9aba594c58978034e&area=videos

Porsche 997 S vs. Audi R8 V8 from 0 to 60 mph

Somewere at 13:30, didn't expect such difference... :bigeyes:

proves the point. when you factor in the number of turns, switchbacks, and shifts required around the Ring you can see how the time adds up. the only way a non DSG car can equivalate sans DSG is to have a very flexible rev band matched by flat torque characteristics that doesn't require too much shifting to get around- ZR1.

for a car with mid range power like a V8 R8 or GTR or 911 DSG make all the difference in the world. who would have ever expected that a non turbo 911 could equal a GTR in acceleration?

the R8 with DSG would be phenomenal. i still wouldn't buy one b/c i like manual- but the trash talking would never end :)