PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my car?

Majestic
May 12th, 2009, 09:36
This problem just started today. From a dead stop I hit the gas and the car seems to not be shifting correctly on the 1st and 2nd gears. It starts off nice but then when it needs to switch to the 2nd gear it revs high and then finally switches to 2nd. It then does that to the 2nd gear to 3rd.

After I get to a good speed the car acts normal. I drove around town late night to see if it went away but it didnt. The gears switching doesnt always do that high rev then switch it sometimes does it and sometimes it acts normal.

Any ideas?

terrytcl
May 12th, 2009, 14:12
when was the transmission oil / filter last changed?

Majestic
May 12th, 2009, 22:32
maybe 5 months ago but i drove it less than 2000 miles

I will get it changed and see if it works better

terrytcl
May 12th, 2009, 22:39
i wouldn't change it, i would double check the level in it

Majestic
May 12th, 2009, 22:42
actually to think about it there was an oil leak but I got that fixed like a month ago not sure what oil was leaking but they changed some gasket. Sorry i am not too familiar with cars

terrytcl
May 12th, 2009, 22:46
it's common to have a leak where the o-rings are for the pass through electrical connectors for the solenoids. i replaced mine with teflon o-rings with a larger thickness than the factory parts.

the transmission has to be filled with the engine running and up to temp... so, if they didn't... you'll have low tranny fluid.

Majestic
May 12th, 2009, 22:49
it should have been done correctly, i had it a month it just started yesterday ugg i feel like i really should get that extended coverage because everytime i go into the audi dealer to get it looked at cost me 700 bucks !!!

mmaturo
May 13th, 2009, 07:06
This problem just started today. From a dead stop I hit the gas and the car seems to not be shifting correctly on the 1st and 2nd gears. It starts off nice but then when it needs to switch to the 2nd gear it revs high and then finally switches to 2nd. It then does that to the 2nd gear to 3rd.

After I get to a good speed the car acts normal. I drove around town late night to see if it went away but it didnt. The gears switching doesnt always do that high rev then switch it sometimes does it and sometimes it acts normal.

Any ideas?

This is EXACTLY what my car was just doing a month ago (and three years ago on previous transmission)...I now have a new transmission and torque converter. One or the other is shot in your car as it is indeed slipping, try the fluid but i think you will end up finding more wrong. And yes you should get an extended warranty.

Majestic
May 13th, 2009, 12:23
How much were those repairs for either the torque converter or transmission

and how much is the extended warranty

DHall1
May 13th, 2009, 14:26
6k for the TC
12k for the trans

Fidelity policy price depends on your vehicle mileage.

50k miles ~ 4/48 policy will be around 4500 give or take.

Its not a good idea to own one of these cars without warranty. Playing with fire.

I have Fidelity coverage till 2014 and 100k miles....my car has 30k right now.

How much were those repairs for either the torque converter or transmission

and how much is the extended warranty

Majestic
May 13th, 2009, 14:33
i am at 45k miles

i had the 35k maintenance done when i got the car at 42k

this car is a lot of troubble, more troubble than its worth some times. After maintenance i had an oil leak that put me back 800.

This car wont just let me enjoy myself with her :(

I will call them and ask about that that extended plan. Will they still give me the plan even with this problem with the car?

DHall1
May 13th, 2009, 15:46
Some notes here.

*You dont know whats wrong if anything with the car. Thus, its fair to say you can just keep your mouth shut.
*Buy the Fidelity Gold Plus or Platinum from the Audi dealer only.
*The dealer should be more than happy to sell you the policy even after the fact or even if you didnt buy the car from them.
*You should be in the $3800-4500 range for a 4/48 policy.

Again, there will be some things that come up with RS. Your driving a 90k car that was literally hand built in a special factory. Power makes heat, heat breaks down components, seals and gaskets.

These things will come up from time to time. The RS6 is not a Honda Civic....never has been and never will be. We will also never see a sedan like this on US soil ever again.

i am at 45k miles

i had the 35k maintenance done when i got the car at 42k

this car is a lot of troubble, more troubble than its worth some times. After maintenance i had an oil leak that put me back 800.

This car wont just let me enjoy myself with her :(

I will call them and ask about that that extended plan. Will they still give me the plan even with this problem with the car?

mmaturo
May 13th, 2009, 16:37
Some notes here.

*You dont know whats wrong if anything with the car. Thus, its fair to say you can just keep your mouth shut.
*Buy the Fidelity Gold Plus or Platinum from the Audi dealer only.
*The dealer should be more than happy to sell you the policy even after the fact or even if you didnt buy the car from them.
*You should be in the $3800-4500 range for a 4/48 policy.

Again, there will be some things that come up with RS. Your driving a 90k car that was literally hand built in a special factory. Power makes heat, heat breaks down components, seals and gaskets.

These things will come up from time to time. The RS6 is not a Honda Civic....never has been and never will be. We will also never see a sedan like this on US soil ever again.

Exactly on not admitting to the issue yet, go get the Fidelity policy now, take it a little easy for a bit then take the car in. It will work for awhile just fine. As Dave said they are both very expensive repairs as the hours to pull the front and drop the engine and put it back are near 60. Rebuilt trans are now available so the part cost went from 12K for a new one to 6 to 8K.

My car has been a near disaster for my almost 4 years of owning it but oddly to me it is still worth it as when it works...wow it really works. Its never left me stranded and has handled every type of weather and condition. I have a feeling once you get the trans working again it should be fine for quite awhile. My last trans lasted 44K miles.

Majestic
May 14th, 2009, 00:02
I will go do that and buy a fidelity package of 4 years/ 48k miles

And I do understand what you guys mean by not letting the car go or that there wont be another car out there like this one.

I am so reluctant to sell this car. When it works I feel like a celebrity when I sit in the car, I get head nods from guys and youngsters waving and giving me the devils horn sign :dig:

I am constantly thinking is this car for me, but as for now i will get fidelity and tough it out over this.

Thanks all for the help and I will keep everyone informed.

DHall1
May 14th, 2009, 00:59
Fidelity should pay me to keep quiet and not let RS6 owners buy that coverage. :bigeyes: Its the best hedge on this planet. 50:1 odds that it will pay off over 6 years. Its almost a sure bet.

But, were here for you guys and the long term asset value of our cars. Having the Fidelity policy will keep your asset safe and sound for years to come. :bow:Let all the powers that be make the Pelosi this or Obama that and have cars that runs on pig shit and look like pig shit. I will have my :addict:

Oh, I forgot. :nono:There going to regulate pig shit too. Damn

Hog farms that have more than 50 pigs will be under the EPA regulations for methane production into the atm. CO2 is a danger to society. It has been classed a pollutant which is a danger to society and has been given to the EPA to regulate. Give me a friggin break. What the hell comes out of your mouth when you exhale? :idea:

I will go do that and buy a fidelity package of 4 years/ 48k miles

And I do understand what you guys mean by not letting the car go or that there wont be another car out there like this one.

I am so reluctant to sell this car. When it works I feel like a celebrity when I sit in the car, I get head nods from guys and youngsters waving and giving me the devils horn sign :dig:

I am constantly thinking is this car for me, but as for now i will get fidelity and tough it out over this.

Thanks all for the help and I will keep everyone informed.

peiserg
May 14th, 2009, 16:54
IIRC the cost of a TC repair is $4200