PDA

View Full Version : TCU map has done wonders for my 0-60mph...

cornishmoocher
May 10th, 2009, 09:16
Hi chaps,

As you know I have been very happy with my unit20 tuned car, Grizz is without a doubt a scholar and a gentleman, and if he were in Germany he would be Doctor Grizz or Professor Grizz.
I needed to get the box (TCU mapped as I was sure that I was not getting the full potential form the car under acceleration, or my concern about bolloxing up anopther box!

I went to see Grizzly and got the box mapped and had a few:rolleyes: :hahahehe: other bits done too.

The result is astonishing. This was recorded and timed by my mate on a stop watch, but you can time it for yourselves, go full screen and hit start on your cell phone stop watch...... I do not not usually get excited, but this has impressed me, its a 2 tonne car for christs sake!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_AtRioAkNc

vangelis
May 10th, 2009, 11:16
Hi chaps,

As you know I have been very happy with my unit20 tuned car, Grizz is without a doubt a scholar and a gentleman, and if he were in Germany he would be Doctor Grizz or Professor Grizz.
I needed to get the box (TCU mapped as I was sure that I was not getting the full potential form the car under acceleration, or my concern about bolloxing up anopther box!

I went to see Grizzly and got the box mapped and had a few:rolleyes: :hahahehe: other bits done too.

The result is astonishing. This was recorded and timed by my mate on a stop watch, but you can time it for yourselves, go full screen and hit start on your cell phone stop watch...... I do not not usually get excited, but this has impressed me, its a 2 tonne car for christs sake!!!

Wow ,, another gift from Grizz :)

First congratulations cornishmoocher and happy you got what you wanted :)

Please advice whether this MTM TCU map or custom one and if it possible to mention the cost here on in PM as I'm thinking seriously to do this soon. Also what other few:rolleyes: :hahahehe: bits you done ;) ?

DHall1
May 10th, 2009, 18:17
Wow!:bigeyes:

Hi chaps,

p3u
May 10th, 2009, 19:58
Hi chaps,

Dude, I seriously just messed myself!

Is it a Grizz special TCU? Also, what kind of 0-60 where you pulling without the TCU? Amazing!

Grizz, we need details! How much! :hahahehe:

cornishmoocher
May 11th, 2009, 17:10
The map is a custom code box map, that raises shift points by 300rpm and allows more torque to be usefully used. Before my 0-60 was about 4.2 secs....... Thats as much as I can say about it as I know no more! But the results are obvious.:)

I am very happy with my car in general now. For some reason my car produces more power and more torque than most equivilent tuned cars. Guess i ma lucky!

cornishmoocher
May 11th, 2009, 17:20
My plots.....

p3u
May 11th, 2009, 17:25
The map is a custom code box map, that raises shift points by 300rpm and allows more torque to be usefully used. Before my 0-60 was about 4.2 secs....... Thats as much as I can say about it as I know no more! But the results are obvious.:)

I am very happy with my car in general now. For some reason my car produces more power and more torque than most equivilent tuned cars. Guess i ma lucky!

Guess I never noticed where the RS6 shifts since it is an auto, so what was it previously shifting and there now?

Is the shift program only for grizz custom tune or will the TCU work with any ecu software?

Awsome performance! I really wished I was in the UK :hahahehe:

cornishmoocher
May 11th, 2009, 17:45
I never use the auto, always tippy flappy mode....... Allows much more control.

I expect Grizz could send you a TCU, but you would need to replace it with yours.

p3u
May 11th, 2009, 17:51
So what RPM does the car shift at now?

I'll contact Grizz about the tcu :)

cornishmoocher
May 11th, 2009, 18:54
Hits the rev limiter every time @ about 7400rpm.....

10SecS4
May 11th, 2009, 20:50
Nice video!

Just curious, why does it look like the car is still being shifted at the factory 6800-6900 RPMs in the video? Why is your CEL on?

http://titsup-racing.com/video/rs6/rs6_sig.jpg

2003 Audi RS6
11.59 @ 118.63 | Video (http://www.titsup-racing.com/video/rs6/rs6_11_8.wmv) | Timeslip (http://titsup-racing.com/video/rs6/rs6_11_59_timeslip_resized.jpg)
Mods: No pre-cats & my own custom tuned ECU/TCU. That's it!

2000 Audi S4
10.73 @ 132.76 | Video (http://titsup-racing.com/video/s4/s4_10_73.wmv) | Timeslip (http://titsup-racing.com/images/s4/s4_10_73.jpg)
Mods: K04s + bolt-ons + weight reduction (bone stock motor!)

p3u
May 11th, 2009, 21:49

Could you please do a 0-200km/h run? That I really want to see!

cornishmoocher
May 11th, 2009, 22:31
I changed gear or short shifted, the point is, the box can now deal with the torque which has produced the results. You actually do not want to hit the limiter, it slows you down! but trust me, it will. If you look at my other vid on YT how to Fck up yer.. you can hear the limiter cuting in all the way up to 3rd gear......

Spidercat
May 11th, 2009, 23:56
How does raising the redline extend the usuable torque? I would think that since the torque curve starts to fall well before the stock redline, that it wouldn't give any benefit to go above the redline. Also, I'm surprised that just switching the TCU map alters your 0-60 time much, since that's only one shift. I'm not trying to sound snarky, and I can't argue with the results, I'm just trying to understand exactly the mechanics behind it. :revs:

cornishmoocher
May 12th, 2009, 06:46
I dony know is the answer! It was the best i could come up with to explain the improvement! :blush:
The box would slip and hunt before, it does not now, you can feel it accelerate "harder" for want of a better word, its like you are putting ALL of the power down rather than most.... Perhaps Grizz can explain....:mech:

BCY4.2
May 12th, 2009, 09:59
7400rpm???

Standard rev limit on the RS6 is ~6600 rpm and I say approx because it closes the throttle so sometimes its ~6400,~6500 and ~6600 but 7400rpm is alot more than ~300rpm increase.

Would also be concerned of piston speed and loading on the con-rods at that rpm

cornishmoocher
May 12th, 2009, 14:30
Well, mine has alway revved a lot more than 6400 or even 6600. And now it goes even higher, it may be 7300 or 7400, TBH i was looking at what i was hurtling towards at 100mph and not paying a huge amount of attention to the needle other than a glance.
If my rev limiter ever cut in at 6600rpm, it would be back with grizz finding out why.
The rods and pistons will be fine- its a cosworth built lump.

Ruergard
May 12th, 2009, 16:21
That is seriously quick for the old beast, congratulations!

I'd like to see a 0-200 km/h time if possible! :)

BCY4.2
May 13th, 2009, 01:41
Well, mine has alway revved a lot more than 6400 or even 6600. And now it goes even higher, it may be 7300 or 7400, TBH i was looking at what i was hurtling towards at 100mph and not paying a huge amount of attention to the needle other than a glance.
If my rev limiter ever cut in at 6600rpm, it would be back with grizz finding out why.
The rods and pistons will be fine- its a cosworth built lump.

Your dyno run which I assume was done before the TCU map shows redline ~6500rpm????

With regards to the rods and piston's being fine, well that is not something that is brand dependant piston speed and rod loading is something that even F1 engines need to watch out for!

cmore
October 25th, 2010, 01:05
@cornishmoocher - when shifting with your paddles or stick lever, how long after you click the button does the transmission shift? Has the custom TCU tune tightened up that gap? What kind of boost are you holding through the rev range?

Thanks,
Chris

Hy Octane
October 26th, 2010, 17:10
I remember a few years back while having Audi's head RS6 tech trying to figure out what was wrong with my engine mentioning to me that the turbos were solid and should last years unless you chip it.. He said the problem with chipping isnt the extra power but many tuners raise the redline which causes the turbo's to overrev and fry.. They can only turn so fast before the blades begin to approach the SOS and this is what causes oscillation and failure..I had never heard this before..