PDA

View Full Version : Challenger R/T vs RS6

GEN XER
May 9th, 2009, 02:47
What just happened?

I was coming home from work and I ran up on a Challenger R/T. My first thoughts were no contest. I own a SRT8 and I know what it can do, so I thought this 370HP 5.7L V8 cant possibly be any contest for this 450HP 4.2L TT V8, so I thought. Well I knew what he had but judging by what he said to me later he did not know what an RS6 was, more to follow on that. I ran up on his bumper because I knew it would provoke him into running, most of these Hemi boys are ready for a fight at the drop of a hat. I was right, he hit it the Hemi howled and we were off, I was in S drive so the tranny was shifting at its fastest rate, though he could not pull away, I could not run up on him the way I felt I should have either. Now Im thinking WTF is wrong with this car? We were at go straight to jail speed but I could not pass him. Round two we slowed to about 60 and we both hit it at about the same time, now I know from having one of those Hemi's that 60mph is right in the meat of its trq curve and I was right he took off, but I was right there again thinking, WTF is wrong with my car, he could not walk away but I should have been able to walk away from him that is if this car is not all hype and not a lot of go. If I can't out run a Challenger R/T then forget the SRT's, those things are beasts. Ok back to his comment, we ran into traffic so no more fun, I was exiting and I look over and he says "great run", "Im impressed", "I didnt think you would be able to keep up". He obviously did not know what an RS6 is. In the end I should have been able to beat this car. WTF is wrong with my car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAfIvstphM

Bigglezworth
May 9th, 2009, 03:25
Was it a warm day? Heat soak? I'm finding the beast is tempermental and I'm sure others would agree.

DuckWingDuck
May 9th, 2009, 03:50
the challenger is not a bad little car; i was running with one on the toll road before I went on my business trip and he sort of kept up with me.

DHall1
May 9th, 2009, 04:20
Willie,

A couple of notes.

Given the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of that car...you should have walked on him.

Better be time for your Vag data logs. Better make sure your beast is boosting to the proper level.

What just happened?

I was coming home from work and I ran up on a Challenger R/T. My first thoughts were no contest. I own a SRT8 and I know what it can do, so I thought this 370HP 5.7L V8 cant possibly be any contest for this 450HP 4.2L TT V8, so I thought. Well I knew what he had but judging by what he said to me later he did not know what an RS6 was, more to follow on that. I ran up on his bumper because I knew it would provoke him into running, most of these Hemi boys are ready for a fight at the drop of a hat. I was right, he hit it the Hemi howled and we were off, I was in S drive so the tranny was shifting at its fastest rate, though he could not pull away, I could not run up on him the way I felt I should have either. Now Im thinking WTF is wrong with this car? We were at go straight to jail speed but I could not pass him. Round two we slowed to about 60 and we both hit it at about the same time, now I know from having one of those Hemi's that 60mph is right in the meat of its trq curve and I was right he took off, but I was right there again thinking, WTF is wrong with my car, he could not walk away but I should have been able to walk away from him that is if this car is not all hype and not a lot of go. If I can't out run a Challenger R/T then forget the SRT's, those things are beasts. Ok back to his comment, we ran into traffic so no more fun, I was exiting and I look over and he says "great run", "Im impressed", "I didnt think you would be able to keep up". He obviously did not know what an RS6 is. In the end I should have been able to beat this car. WTF is wrong with my car?

p3u
May 9th, 2009, 05:36
What just happened?

Now you know how I feel with my "WTF is wrong with my car" thread :hahahehe:

Hy Octane
May 9th, 2009, 10:31
You needed to get him to turn..
American cars are the best in a straight line..
Hit the turns tho, and he would be toasted..

Dont forget.. 450 hp is really only about 360-380 at the wheels with quattro..

Then you have the tonnage of the RS6 to deal with.. and the probability that there is at least one of the 62,000 components in this motor that is faulty which will automatically reduce ythe power to protect itself.yada yada..

Sometimes I wonder if anyopne in the USA, techs included, have any idea of what this car is supposed to perform like at 100% including DRC..

I seriously doubt that anyone has one that would pass as perfectly healthy if driven by someone from Gmbh.

hahnmgh63
May 9th, 2009, 14:46
You can chip the RS6 to gain 50bhp easily but not much you can do with the chrysler. Chips and exhuast may give a normally aspirated car 10~15bhp at best, take a look at many of the dyno test of bolt on goods out there, nevermind what some of the aftermarket manufacturers claim. Yes the Quattro does add a little extra drag but the majority of it is the weight of the car which the AWD drivetrain is much of the culprit. So chip it for the extra horses to put it where it should be. And if you go with Revo, then do the MTM TCU chip so it will shift a little bit better, that will help your acceleration times too.

GEN XER
May 9th, 2009, 15:16
Well given the embarrassment of it all. I won't even challenge the king (SRT8) to a fight.It won't be a contest and I know it. I have a video of me at the track being beat out the hole by a 5.7L and by half track I walked him down in my 6.1L its good to know the car is more show than go when it comes to racing real American muscle. The oil temp was at 200 so I don't think heat soak was an issue, and even after the runs it never got above 225, plus the Hemi suffers badly from heat soak HP loss. I can go with over engineering the German's are good for that. It could be the turbo's, I can have them checked. Weight and drivetrain loss definitely but he is suffering those same issues. In the end the C5 RS6 is a beautiful model who can still hold her own after six years against the new kids on the block, now that has to be impressive. I can always tune it but then you run into tranny and trq conv issues that I just don't want or need.

hahnmgh63
May 9th, 2009, 16:47
More HP & TQ obviously put more stress on the tranny although on the list here, it seems like the non chipped people have as much or more tranny problems, probably a coincidence but there it is. Some believe the MTM TCU chip causes the tranny to get less stress but there aren't any facts to back that up.

SAF
May 9th, 2009, 17:19
I had a fun "conversation" with some bald headed dude in a LS2 Pontiac GTO this morning at a traffic light. I asked how it was running, "pretty good, 12.8". Then told him I hadn't seen too many GTOs or played with one yet. He says "this one's around!" and then floors it. It sounded beastly and burned some amazing rubber, which was my chance to blast past him if I wasn't taking a right turn. LOL. Nice car though. :rs6kiss:

mmaturo
May 9th, 2009, 18:43
Well given the embarrassment of it all. I won't even challenge the king (SRT8) to a fight.It won't be a contest and I know it. I have a video of me at the track being beat out the hole by a 5.7L and by half track I walked him down in my 6.1L its good to know the car is more show than go when it comes to racing real American muscle. The oil temp was at 200 so I don't think heat soak was an issue, and even after the runs it never got above 225, plus the Hemi suffers badly from heat soak HP loss. I can go with over engineering the German's are good for that. It could be the turbo's, I can have them checked. Weight and drivetrain loss definitely but he is suffering those same issues. In the end the C5 RS6 is a beautiful model who can still hold her own after six years against the new kids on the block, now that has to be impressive. I can always tune it but then you run into tranny and trq conv issues that I just don't want or need.

I've run with a Challenger R/T (may have been SRT but car was all blacked out) on the interstate and i walked on him rather easily in several runs as we had openings. His car was looking good all black, wheels and all including really dark tint so no idea his reaction but I could handle him easily. But I have also messed with a stock SRT8 and again had it with a little effort so i do think your car is a little off on power. It is impressive what the new generation of muscle cars are doing at the $$ value...too bad the companies are collapsing right as a few products are getting there.

PS, thanks for the warranty contact.

V8weight
May 9th, 2009, 19:00
I've run with a Challenger R/T (may have been SRT but car was all blacked out) on the interstate and i walked on him rather easily in several runs as we had openings. His car was looking good all black, wheels and all including really dark tint so no idea his reaction but I could handle him easily. But I have also messed with a stock SRT8 and again had it with a little effort so i do think your car is a little off on power. It is impressive what the new generation of muscle cars are doing at the $$ value...too bad the companies are collapsing right as a few products are getting there.

Speaking of discount muscle cars, I test drove a Pontiac G8 GT this morning. I was just curious, and happened to be driving by a Pontiac dealership I used to work at years ago. They still remembered me, and threw me the keys and told me just to have it back by 5:00. The temp gauge hadn't registered operating temp yet and I was throwing the keys back to him. It's a good start though, but it doesn't sound like Pontiac's going to be around long enough to improve upon it.

DHall1
May 9th, 2009, 22:21
Well,

Like I said above. Your car should still walk on both of these cars.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times are much faster in the RS. I would just run around the Vag installed and data log off and on for week.

GEN XER
May 10th, 2009, 00:21

Welcome!

Spidercat
May 12th, 2009, 00:32
You can chip the RS6 to gain 50bhp easily but not much you can do with the chrysler. Chips and exhuast may give a normally aspirated car 10~15bhp at best, take a look at many of the dyno test of bolt on goods out there, nevermind what some of the aftermarket manufacturers claim. Yes the Quattro does add a little extra drag but the majority of it is the weight of the car which the AWD drivetrain is much of the culprit. So chip it for the extra horses to put it where it should be. And if you go with Revo, then do the MTM TCU chip so it will shift a little bit better, that will help your acceleration times too.

Didn't know that about the Chrysler. My first though was, "He's obviously really modded his car to NOT be overpowered by an RS6." Only 10-15 bhp wouldn't do it, IMO. I'd have the RS6 checked out. If it passes VAGCOM w/flying colors, I'd still be tempted to take it to a dyno and make sure I was getting what I paid for.

If it's making what it supposed to, then you should just chip it and never ever have this embarrassing experience again!:noshake: Tsk, tsk, tsk.

(From another happy Revo ECU/MTM TCU customer!)

GEN XER
May 12th, 2009, 02:26
Here is my run against a 5.7L Charger. I got into it to much and I did not hook-up so he left me. I cught him by half track and never looked back. Dont be fooled by the 14 seconds either. These cars run high 12's low 13's.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/?action=view&current=SMOV0059.flv

vangelis
May 12th, 2009, 06:24
Here is my run against a 5.7L Charger. I got into it to much and I did not hook-up so he left me. I cught him by half track and never looked back. Dont be fooled by the 14 seconds either. These cars run high 12's low 13's.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/?action=view&current=SMOV0059.flv

I can't see this video at this moment as its blocked in my work network, but I want to say that I did beat a lot of SRT-8 here. I'm sure it was a stock as it is for one of my friends and he always trying to beat me but never happened so far (Thankssss GOD :bow:). I'm not sure about the one you raced, it might be chipped or upgraded but the normal SRT-8 whatever Chrysler or jeeps you should be able to beat them with no problem. My RS6 is not that much powerful or tuned, I just have ABT ECU only and ABT exhaust and some few other things.

chairman2300
May 12th, 2009, 16:56
Something has to be wrong with your rig.

I raced a C5 Vette last week from 60 to 150 multiple times over about 15 miles of freeway, and he couldnt stay anywhere near me. We came to a stop light and talked for a minute. He was blown away, he never thought I could keep up with his baby. Said he was chipped and custom exhaust, which sounded fantastic by the way. He wanted to know what I had done to the car. For which I replied, "nothing." We take off from the light and I resume the absolute ass kicking from before when I see a cop about 300 yds ahead. I slam on the brakes, drop 2 gears, and pull into traffic. He sees his opportunity and flys by at about 140. needless to say, I pull off wait 15 mins and get back on the freeway going the other way. Hes in the squad car and the tow truck is pulling up. This was not this guys day. Beat like a kid in Kmart, arrested, and his pride and joy impounded.

I love my car

Fonzie Audi
May 12th, 2009, 17:39
i ran into a Charger, not Challenger, R/T today on i95. Your thread popped into my head - so when the guy jumped right up my butt, i opened the throttle, and i was gone. I even slowed down to 55 and let him pass me a car length or two.. then i flew by him again. I could hear his car, he was flooring it - it wasn't even fair. The Charger R/T and Challenger R/T have the same HP (368 and 370).. so i'd assume you need to get your system checked just in case. This guy had no chance... i actually felt bad for messing with him

DHall1
May 12th, 2009, 17:55
From the numbers that is how the cars should compare.

Willie-time for some data logs.

i ran into a Charger, not Challenger, R/T today on i95. Your thread popped into my head - so when the guy jumped right up my butt, i opened the throttle, and i was gone. I even slowed down to 55 and let him pass me a car length or two.. then i flew by him again. I could hear his car, he was flooring it - it wasn't even fair. The Charger R/T and Challenger R/T have the same HP (368 and 370).. so i'd assume you need to get your system checked just in case. This guy had no chance... i actually felt bad for messing with him

Spidercat
May 12th, 2009, 19:35
We take off from the light and I resume the absolute ass kicking from before when I see a cop about 300 yds ahead. I slam on the brakes, drop 2 gears, and pull into traffic. He sees his opportunity and flys by at about 140. needless to say, I pull off wait 15 mins and get back on the freeway going the other way. Hes in the squad car and the tow truck is pulling up. This was not this guys day. Beat like a kid in Kmart, arrested, and his pride and joy impounded.

OMG, you are one lucky bastid!!!

allwheelsdriven
May 14th, 2009, 02:54
^^ unreal :)

chairman2300
May 14th, 2009, 16:16
One of the best times I have ever had in this car

GEN XER
May 15th, 2009, 03:26

The Challenger R/T has 20 more HP than the Charger R/T, unless it was a 2009 Charger R/T. The 2008 and below R/T's had 350HP. Nevertheless I need to get some data-logging going on.

GEN XER
May 15th, 2009, 03:27
OMG, you are one lucky bastid!!!

Spider you could get away with that on H-3!

Spidercat
May 19th, 2009, 02:24
Spider you could get away with that on H-3!

You mean "couldn't," right?

GEN XER
May 19th, 2009, 03:19
You mean "couldn't," right?

C'mon man you know you can get away with high speeds on H-3, especially coming from Kaneohe. well at least you could in early 2000.

Spidercat
May 19th, 2009, 22:14
Ok, I gotcha. I thought you were saying that you can't just pull off and turn around on H-3 for most of it's length (without falling 50-100ft into the forest below)--and I would have to agree. I was sayin' that chairman2300 was "lucky" for not getting caught, cuffed, and having his car impounded---that would be a supremely bad day!-- not so much "lucky" for having a nice stretch of asphalt upon which to race.

Yes, you can still go fast on the H-3, as well as through several two-lane stretches through some pineapple fields :nono:. Just gotta watch for bears! V max here is 55mph (not like the 80mph in West TX!:cry:) so more time is needed to shed speed.

DHall1
May 20th, 2009, 01:35
Yeah, shedding speed from 155 to 55mph is just a bi$ch.

And $$$ if you dont shed enough.

Ok, I gotcha. I thought you were saying that you can't just pull off and turn around on H-3 for most of it's length (without falling 50-100ft into the forest below)--and I would have to agree. I was sayin' that chairman2300 was "lucky" for not getting caught, cuffed, and having his car impounded---that would be a supremely bad day!-- not so much "lucky" for having a nice stretch of asphalt upon which to race.

Yes, you can still go fast on the H-3, as well as through several two-lane stretches through some pineapple fields :nono:. Just gotta watch for bears! V max here is 55mph (not like the 80mph in West TX!:cry:) so more time is needed to shed speed.