PDA

View Full Version : Service Intervals, Tranny, CV joint/boot, and Fidelity

PatriotRSX
May 7th, 2009, 18:16
I searched awhile and didn't find quite what I was looking for, so here goes...

Took in the RS6 for the 50k service--basically just an oil change--which raises my first question. The maintenance manual I have lists service intervals at 25k, 35k, 45k, etc. The Service Advisor at my local dealer (Desert Audi, Las Vegas) says that pre-2004, the intervals were 20k, 30k, 40k, etc. Comments?

Quoted $240 for the oil change. Okay, fine, I didn't buy the car here, I've not done any big business at this dealer before, and I knew it wouldn't be cheap. Estimate shows $132 labor/$99 parts.

Called me with two additional problems. One, the boot covering the CV joint at the right front axle/wheel was leaking and throwing grease onto the brake rotor and wheel. I'd noticed this, but hadn't panicked as it wasn't throwing very much, so I figured it could wait until I next had it in the shop. Fine. Estimate shows $345 labor/$99 parts.

The big one was the "transmission harness o-rings." The wiring harness that runs into the TCU is o-ring sealed. The rings have apparently corroded after 50k miles, and up on the lift, I can see tranny fluid sprayed all over the bottom of the transmission box and onto the right exhaust piping. I suppose to fix this you have to drop the transmission anyway, so they figured they'd just do the whole service. $552 labor/$658 parts.

Total after tax and shop supplies is $2018. Advisor tossed in a 15% off major service coupon, so $1715. After reading on here, it doesn't sound like I got taken too badly...or did I?

Lastly, how much would a 3- or 4-yr Fidelity warranty cost me at 50k miles, and how much of the above would it have covered?

Pre-emptive thanks to all who reply.

Ben Stiller
May 7th, 2009, 18:40
I'm not sure what would have been covered since I don't actually own one yet, my guess would be everything wrong that wasn't associated with the regular service, ie brakes, oil changes etc. Others would know better than I.

Was quoted Fidelity Platinum, in the NE with a $100 deductible, car with 50K miles 4/48 $4253, 5/60 $5177. This is fully transferable if sold or you get the balance of the warranty back.

This was through the local Audi dealer.

Hope this helps.

DHall1
May 7th, 2009, 20:23
Consider yourself lucky to get out of there for 2000 dollars.

The prices look inline.

Fidelity Platinum would have covered all of it. CV boots? I would have to check.

I would beg you to go out and buy the Fidelity policy if your planning on keeping the car or even if your selling at some point. Why, its the single biggest selling feature and will help your car move if sold.

Transmission 10,000
Turbos 10000
Intercoolers 6000

I think you get the idea here.

Oh, service intervals. 5, 15, 25, 35, ect

mmaturo
May 8th, 2009, 02:00
CV boot not covered by other polices and/or CPO, but you are about $50 over what i was quoted at my dealer in Chicago. Same with oil change. Its $180 at my dealer, $100 at independent shop.

The trans seal would have been covered of course. Time to invest in extended.