PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Avant project study ideas

DHall1
May 3rd, 2009, 16:38
Well,

How would this start off a nice Avant project.

http://www.alpinerebuildablecars.com/inventoryDetail.php?req=4944&cat=1/AUDI/RS6%20TWIN%20TURBO

Anyone near Patterson NJ

With the above plus a Allroad or S6 Avant you could really make a nice RS6 Avant project. I would need the whole interior to make it worth my while. I have the space and garages to really pull this off. As we go by in time there will be more and more RS6s with light crashes that will total the car and the damage will not be that bad.

Gears are turning here.

AndyBG
May 4th, 2009, 00:45
Good luck with your project! :thumb:

DHall1
May 4th, 2009, 02:18
Yeeks, this guy wants more than the typical RS6 price for this S6.

I need me some of that pipe.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=260220485&dealer_id=63970901&car_year=2002&rdm=1241401664346&num_records=25&model=S6&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2001&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2004&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=651&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
May 4th, 2009, 02:19
Ok,

Now we are talking.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=260674129&dealer_id=7457882&car_year=2002&rdm=1241401664346&num_records=25&model=S6&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2001&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2004&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=987&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
May 4th, 2009, 02:24
Ahhhh,

This one may be just right. Get that price down to 14k and away we go.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=261561330&dealer_id=69431&car_year=2003&rdm=1241401664346&num_records=25&model=S6&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2001&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2004&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=1754&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
May 4th, 2009, 02:25
Thinking out loud here.

You could buy both cars...swap the driveline and interior and end up with a sedan S6 and a Avant RS6.

Sell the sedan S6 to recoup some cash and drive down the road in the RS6 Avant.

Hmmmm

DuckWingDuck
May 4th, 2009, 03:41
dave clearly has a lot of free time lately! I mean, sounds like a hell of a project, but it's probably going to take a ton of time too.

DHall1
May 4th, 2009, 05:58
Well,

No better way to get good at dropping the front subframe then to plan a project like this.

1.5 acres and a shop make for plenty of room to tinker. Roll the RS6 car in and remove the engine/trans. Then roll the RS6 shell outside. Slide the RS6 engine/trans to the side and roll the S6 in. Remove the engine/trans of the S6 and slide it over. Now slide in the RS6 engine/trans and start your install.

Really, it does not sound that bad. 2 months of weekend tinkering when its 120 degrees outside and the shop is fully airconditioned and its done in time for the fall season and 90 degree temps again. Another month to finish up the S6 sedan and you have 2 cars that never made it to the US soil.

Kinda cool.

dave clearly has a lot of free time lately! I mean, sounds like a hell of a project, but it's probably going to take a ton of time too.

Turboluvr
May 4th, 2009, 16:43
Dave,
Sounds like a fun, and ambitious, project. I'm currently in the 9th year of an 18 month 65' mustang restoration. Factor in at least double time for a project like this. In the meantime I've done lots of other projects including an I6 to V8 swap on another 65' mustang. Even with using same year cars and the relative simplicity of the components, compaired to an RS6, it was a time consuming transplant. The only downside is the resale on the "frankenstien" results. No matter how good the work is they will be very hard to sell. The Avant will be your baby so no worries there, you can keep it and use it for the price of admission. The other creation, with a salvage title thrown in, will tough to sell for even a fraction of what you have in it in time and expense. You'd probably be better off parting it out. Just my 2 cents. The Avant would be a great daily driver that you could modify and personalize to your hearts content.

Turboluvr
May 4th, 2009, 21:42
I wonder if I could fit an RS6 drivetrain and wiring into a 65' mustang.
-The wheelbase is only .6 inches off; small drive shaft mod or change the wheel opening.
-The RS6 is 4 inches wider; 2 inch flairs on each side are doable.
-The shock towers in the stang can be removed if you run coil overs and a revised front end; that will help fitting everything in.
-The space is built for a small block (4.8L-5.0L) and there's lots of extra space for things like oil coolers and additional radiators.
-The wiring and fuel delivery/return issues are relatively easy to overcome; lots of EFI conversion experiance out there for these cars.
-The cost comparison is close; $15K donor RS6 plus lots of time and effort and $2K in front end mods ($20K with overruns and unexpecteds) vs. $7K for a 351W with all the bells and whistles, $4K for the Tremec 5-speed and extras, $2K for the Currie 9-inch, $3K for a Mass-Flo EFI and $4K for a supercharger ($20K).

Power would be in the same range. The Audi drivetrain would be more expensive to maintain, but you truely get points in the unique column. This will have to go in the same file with my plans to build a 3.6L Porsche 914. Hmmmmm...:vhmmm:

Turboluvr
May 4th, 2009, 22:57
The price is out there but the milage is great.

http://www.elitemotorcars.com/products/detail/AUDI/RS6/4904

V8weight
May 5th, 2009, 02:57
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282225
Somebody just saved you a lot of brain pain, and possibly your marriage as well.:bye:

Turboluvr
May 5th, 2009, 04:42
V8weight,
Thanks! :0: Good find, that's the car in question for sure. Unfortunately the seed is planted. My RS6 sits right next to my fastback and with the hood open and wheel to wheel I can see the transplant taking place. It's a sickness. Like I said, it's in the file between a 914-6 conversion with a 3.6L and world domination. I may eventually get around to it. Some guys did sort of the same thing a few years ago when they mated an 03 cobra with a 65 mustang. If you search project SN65 you'll find it. I think an RS6 might actually be easier...if that word can be used in this context. Anyway, an interesting idea...until the next candidate pops up. Dave may be bummed, his project idea was very doable.

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 06:26
The project is still early. The cost factor to get that donor from NJ to AZ would have been a big hit.

Need to look for the donor car in the southwest.

James, good point on the leftover car. It may not be worth the time to fix it and get the S6 driveline up and running in the car.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282225
Somebody just saved you a lot of brain pain, and possibly your marriage as well.:bye: