PDA

View Full Version : rs6 vs. s6

joedirt1
May 1st, 2009, 07:05
I have been looking for an rs6 for a few months. I'm hesitant to buy one b/c I do not want to be hit over the head with the repair costs associated with an rs6. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
It seems like a newer s6 sells for just about the same as good rs6. Are the newer s6's more reliable or less expensive for repairs?<O:p></O:p>

Is it just as necessary to have an additional warranty with say a 2007 s6?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Erik
May 1st, 2009, 09:23
Hi, what's you location? Might help with the answer.

USA, EU or?

joedirt1
May 1st, 2009, 10:18
I live in PA, USA.

DuckWingDuck
May 1st, 2009, 16:07
they're german cars, so parts and labour are going to be expensive no matter what. They are such different cars that I honestly don't think it's a fair comparison. I am biased but I say go rs6 with an extended warranty.

ZCD2.7T
May 1st, 2009, 16:27
I have been looking for an rs6 for a few months. I'm hesitant to buy one b/c I do not want to be hit over the head with the repair costs associated with an rs6.

It seems like a newer s6 sells for just about the same as good rs6. Are the newer s6's more reliable or less expensive for repairs?

Is it just as necessary to have an additional warranty with say a 2007 s6?

I'm in a similar situation - I know that I'd really enjoy the performance of an RS 6, but have decided that I couldn't afford the upkeep. I speak from some experience, having owned 3 C5s and being close friends with a C5 RS 6 owner whose car has >110K miles on it. He's really enjoyed the car, but maintenance (and DRC repair/problems/replacement) have scared me away from one.

The C6 chassis is MUCH more refined than the C5, but of course the C6 S6 can't match the C5 RS 6s staight-line performance. Throw some curves in the mix, and they'd be very close, I think. C6 S6s also doesn't have the DRC to worry about or replace...

When it comes to the interior, again, the C6 is just in a completely different league, and the S6 in particular is really sweet inside.

Any C6 S6 you'd buy now would either be still under factory warranty, and many would be CPO as well, so that's the way I'm likely to go when it's time (4-12 months for me).

In the end, depends what you want, but 0-60 in 5.1 and the 1/4 mile in 13.4 @ 106 are still plenty quick for most people. If you want/need faster than that, then an RS 6 would be the choice - just keep a maintenance fund at the ready.

HTH.

Copper
May 1st, 2009, 17:14
+1 to the above comment.

I came very, very close to purchasing an S6 recently (again). The RS6 is much faster and more fun to drive but the S6 has the refinement and cabin with a nice factory-new warranty.

If you are looking for a hobby go-fast car then the RS6 is the way to go. If you need a daily driver with reliability and some "guts" for the times you are feeling playful, then the S6 will suit you just fine.

DuckWingDuck
May 1st, 2009, 17:29
it's so sad that even as I type in the defense of the rs6 I am thinking a realignment of my own personal 'collection' to a S8, 996/997 S, and a slow hunt for a super car.

DHall1
May 1st, 2009, 21:54
No, No and NO!

I will not sell my C5 :addict:

Runs circles around the S6

Looks better than the S6

Better interior as well.

Hand made supercar. What else do you need?

Arrrrgh, the "high cost of maint" is a joke. The RS6 is a piece of cake to maintain. Jeeeez

Now, I am a bit old school. That and the fact that its the one and only RS6 in the USA will have me in the car forever.

it's so sad that even as I type in the defense of the rs6 I am thinking a realignment of my own personal 'collection' to a S8, 996/997 S, and a slow hunt for a super car.

DHall1
May 2nd, 2009, 00:51
Drive the RS6 like you stole it and you may have some repairs to the trans and TC.

Nothing is out of the norm for the other costs. The car is one of a kind and we will never see another on this soil.

No brainer for me. Get the Fidelity plan and no worries. Run, run and run.

I have been looking for an rs6 for a few months. I'm hesitant to buy one b/c I do not want to be hit over the head with the repair costs associated with an rs6. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
It seems like a newer s6 sells for just about the same as good rs6. Are the newer s6's more reliable or less expensive for repairs?<O:p></O:p>

Is it just as necessary to have an additional warranty with say a 2007 s6?<O:p></O:p>

mmaturo
May 2nd, 2009, 05:35
Drive the RS6 like you stole it and you may have some repairs to the trans and TC.

Nothing is out of the norm for the other costs. The car is one of a kind and we will never see another on this soil.

No brainer for me. Get the Fidelity plan and no worries. Run, run and run.

I resemble that first comment. RS6. I haven't seen S6s yet as low though in purchase cost.

KCRS6
May 2nd, 2009, 18:26
I drove an S6 about a month ago. It is a very nice car, looks great and has a great interior, but it is quite bland to drive compared to the RS6. The sound and seat of the pants feel of the RS6 are so much better. If I did not have the RS6 to compare the S6 to, I am sure I would be more impressed with the S6.

ZCD2.7T
May 4th, 2009, 14:45
=DHall1

Arrrrgh, the "high cost of maint" is a joke. The RS6 is a piece of cake to maintain. Jeeeez

Now, I am a bit old school. That and the fact that its the one and only RS6 in the USA will have me in the car forever.

Riddle me these, Batman:

Cost of timing belt replacement? (due every 35K miles)

Cost of front (and rear) brake pads?

Yellow RS6
May 4th, 2009, 17:10
You beat me to it. The "high cost of maint" is not a joke, what is a joke is:

$2500+ timing belt service every 35-40K miles

Pads aren't bad if you go aftermarket, but replacing pads AND rotors every 10-20K miles for $1500+ ($2500 at dealer) - ridiculous!

spark plugs every 20K miles? Does a Ferrari or Lambo even require them that often?

mmaturo
May 4th, 2009, 17:27
You beat me to it. The "high cost of maint" is not a joke, what is a joke is:

$2500+ timing belt service every 35-40K miles

Pads aren't bad if you go aftermarket, but replacing pads AND rotors every 10-20K miles for $1500+ ($2500 at dealer) - ridiculous!

spark plugs every 20K miles? Does a Ferrari or Lambo even require them that often?

Was resisting but i can't

...and control arms, liniks, stabilizer bars due to the bushings giving out very quickly, my third trans is in the car with the 4th torque converter under warranty. Oil change that takes dropping the stabilizer bar $180 at dealer, $100 at independent shop). Tires wear quick with the built in camber at 15K intervals and RS6 size performance tires are $$. A lot has been under warranty but i do average a set of front rotors (now down to $850-1K for parts, $100 to install at independent shop) and two sets of pads each year plus a set of summer tires ($350 plus ea) then 2 or 3 oil changes minimum, so it is 2500+ a year for me, and then on the off year comes the plugs (wow on cost at dealer...$400+) and filters at another $500 in parts/labor at dealer (minor service is $1200 at dealer for filters, plugs, oil change) a random headlight bulb was $200 at the dealer, way less on line). CV boot I just did inner and outer on one side only for $400 at an indy shop. Off warranty i'm terrified.

I had three cars at the same time several years ago when still married, 2 Audis (Cabriolet and early TT) and an X5 and all three cost me less than just the one.

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 06:45
Yeah,

I think you should all sell your cars. Have you ever driven anything that could stop a beast of a car like these brakes?

Complete brake job all around for 250 dollars. EBC Reds, plenty of threads on it.

Complete brake job with new rotors for 1250 dollars. All 4 rotors and EBC reds.

Timing belt service every 35-40k around 1500 dollars.

If you put 40k miles per year on your cars...go buy a Yugo to drive to work. Keep the fun for the beast.

I put maybe 10k a year on my car and I dont really give a rats ass about maint cost.

Sorry to be blunt.

Riddle me these, Batman:

Cost of timing belt replacement? (due every 35K miles)

Cost of front (and rear) brake pads?

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 17:07
A few more data points for ya all.

My car is in the shop this week to get the new DRC system installed.

30k miles and I need all the front upper control arms.

My cost? Zero, ziltch, nada. Not even a blip on my screen.

Thanks AoA for the rush repair of my DRC and thank Fidelity for the excellent warranty coverage.

Happy trails

mmaturo
May 5th, 2009, 17:41
A few more data points for ya all.

My car is in the shop this week to get the new DRC system installed.

30k miles and I need all the front upper control arms.

My cost? Zero, ziltch, nada. Not even a blip on my screen.

Thanks AoA for the rush repair of my DRC and thank Fidelity for the excellent warranty coverage.

Happy trails

Hence the need for the warranty (horse is beaten to a pasty but frothy glue)...control arms are pathetic on this thing geezzz. I'm still giggling to myself on your post two above as i would LOVE to sell my car if depreciation hadn't sunk her quicker than i'm paying it off and especially NOW as i'm on my 4th almost 5th week with a Q7 loaner (trans, tq, oil leaks in turbo lines, air bag light, and last would be oopsie we scratched the living hell out of your front fender while putting the bumper back on the SECOND time so now its at a body shop getting paintwork on the front). Its my only car so can't be a garage queen so it does get mileage piled on. Hoping to fix that next year but it will not be a Yugo joining it.

F'me. Getting front bumper that has been destroyed by rocks repainted and hopefully get 3m on the bumper this time to save it (how long should i wait with fresh paint to do it??).

DHall1
May 5th, 2009, 19:10
I would take away some things from what we have here.

If you put alot of miles on your car and the RS is your only ride. You will take a big asset hit on price and you will need a long warranty.

If you dont put alot of miles or the RS is a second car. You will not take as big an asset hit and you will not run into the normal wear and tear at 60-70-80k miles for many years to come. You still need the warranty but you wont run into those big ticket items for some time. Or they are more spread out in time.

Not saying a 70k mile car is bad. Just be ready for the items that are coming down the pipe. They are coming at you much faster.

Hence the need for the warranty (horse is beaten to a pasty but frothy glue)...control arms are pathetic on this thing geezzz. I'm still giggling to myself on your post two above as i would LOVE to sell my car if depreciation hadn't sunk her quicker than i'm paying it off and especially NOW as i'm on my 4th almost 5th week with a Q7 loaner (trans, tq, oil leaks in turbo lines, air bag light, and last would be oopsie we scratched the living hell out of your front fender while putting the bumper back on the SECOND time so now its at a body shop getting paintwork on the front). Its my only car so can't be a garage queen so it does get mileage piled on. Hoping to fix that next year but it will not be a Yugo joining it.

F'me. Getting front bumper that has been destroyed by rocks repainted and hopefully get 3m on the bumper this time to save it (how long should i wait with fresh paint to do it??).

Spidercat
May 5th, 2009, 22:45

That's a bonus! Shame they didn't scratch your hood, too! I'd like to get my front end repainted and 3M'd. It's kinda pointless now, with all the tiny chips. I'd talk to the paint shop about how long to wait. Otherwise, I'd wait about 30 days (that's the timeframe they give to let the paint cure before you wax it), so it's probably similar. Until then, I'd keep it under 60 mph or so. It seems like everytime I notice any new rock damage/stone chips, it's always right after "spirited" driving, shall we say. :doh:

Also, make sure you ask them to put the extra paint in a bottle for you for touch-ups. They shouldn't charge you for it, since they are sure to have extra, and would just throw it out anyway. It's hard to find just the right color for our cars, since most of them have the "pearl effect" on custom colors. Get some of those little micro "touch-up" applicators thrown in and you'll have something to keep you occupied on the next rainy day!:thumb:

mmaturo
May 6th, 2009, 04:21
That's a bonus! Shame they didn't scratch your hood, too! I'd like to get my front end repainted and 3M'd. It's kinda pointless now, with all the tiny chips. I'd talk to the paint shop about how long to wait. Otherwise, I'd wait about 30 days (that's the timeframe they give to let the paint cure before you wax it), so it's probably similar. Until then, I'd keep it under 60 mph or so. It seems like everytime I notice any new rock damage/stone chips, it's always right after "spirited" driving, shall we say. :doh:

Also, make sure you ask them to put the extra paint in a bottle for you for touch-ups. They shouldn't charge you for it, since they are sure to have extra, and would just throw it out anyway. It's hard to find just the right color for our cars, since most of them have the "pearl effect" on custom colors. Get some of those little micro "touch-up" applicators thrown in and you'll have something to keep you occupied on the next rainy day!:thumb:

No sh%t on the hood although its not too too bad, the bumper has eaten most of it. If my car was Avus i would have had to do it along time ago as the black subsurface is showing everywhere. Yeah everyone seems to agree with the 30 days roughly, good point on asking for the extra. Annoyingly the roads around Chicago are loaded with rocks from construction and then with people that insist on swerving over into the emergency lane filled with them its nearly hopeless. I have been driving around for two years with a small chip in the windshield as the last time i replaced it for $600 for the exact same hit i got the new chip a month later (wish i was in one of the freebie windshield repair states. Can't catch a break anywhere.

Spidercat
May 6th, 2009, 18:01
(wish i was in one of the freebie windshield repair states. Can't catch a break anywhere.

Oh?
Do tell...
I didn't know there were states that will reimburse you for windshield replacements. Do you happen know if HI or TX is on the list?
I, too, have a big rock chip in my windshield (barely noticeable at the base of the windshield at the middle of the car, but I notice it). I've been just living with it because my crystal ball tells me that the exact same thing will happen again as soon as it's replaced, plus I don't feel like getting all my permit decals and crap replaced (the epitome of laziness!).

mmaturo
May 6th, 2009, 18:29
Oh?
Do tell...
I didn't know there were states that will reimburse you for windshield replacements. Do you happen know if HI or TX is on the list?
I, too, have a big rock chip in my windshield (barely noticeable at the base of the windshield at the middle of the car, but I notice it). I've been just living with it because my crystal ball tells me that the exact same thing will happen again as soon as it's replaced, plus I don't feel like getting all my permit decals and crap replaced (the epitome of laziness!).

Well being originally from Florida that is the only one I know of directly. I am not sure of which other states do it. I only know Illinois doesn't. For all those stickers I head to Ace Hardware and pick up a little package of 'sticker savers' that are basically a little sheet of plastic that you stick the sticker to and then apply it to the windshield and then you can easily peel them off and relocate them if need be. No more razor blades.

Spidercat
May 7th, 2009, 00:17
For all those stickers I head to Ace Hardware and pick up a little package of 'sticker savers' that are basically a little sheet of plastic that you stick the sticker to and then apply it to the windshield and then you can easily peel them off and relocate them if need be. No more razor blades.

Dude!!! I have got to try that! You've just saved me a bunch of time walking to my car every day! (I need the sticker to get past security quickly, but then have to park in the most remote place on the planet due to the same stupid tell-tale sticker! I see a "now you see it, now you don't" arrangement in the near future!). It's brilliant! Bwaahaaahaaahaaa!!!
Thanks again for the tip! :thumb:

mmaturo
May 7th, 2009, 04:44
Dude!!! I have got to try that! You've just saved me a bunch of time walking to my car every day! (I need the sticker to get past security quickly, but then have to park in the most remote place on the planet due to the same stupid tell-tale sticker! I see a "now you see it, now you don't" arrangement in the near future!). It's brilliant! Bwaahaaahaaahaaa!!!
Thanks again for the tip! :thumb:

Here is what you are looking for...Sticker Shield to be exact...small flat package with these graphics (in link) about 5 x 8 in size. Been using them for years for the annual stickers. I've had to ask at stores but find it regularly near check-out at Ace oddly.

http://www.stickershield.com/home.html

Spidercat
May 7th, 2009, 06:15
StickerShield on the way! :bow:
It's the simple things that make me happy.

Thanks again!