PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS6 (C6) Tyre warning

jonas21
April 30th, 2009, 11:10
Hello,

i just got me a new pair for Pirelli P Zero (275/35 XL102Y) and went to Audi to get them put on. The dealer warned me that the type of tyre is correct however Audi now has their own tyres for the "super" Audis (RS and R8). They have "R 01" attached to the tyre label. These tyres are made exclusivly for Audi and Audi only sells these.
My dealer could not exactly tell me the difference between but said Audi only sells the R01 and tells customers to use this one. The tyre looks exactly the same...there is no visual difference despite the R01 label.

I guess Audi is just approaching a new way to get more $$ out of customers by selling their own tyres now....I knew that any Audi dealer would charge between 5-15% if you order a tyre there compared to a usual tyre dealer...but this is new.

I'll be running the non-R01 now and see if i can find any difference...but i doubt.

Qisha
April 30th, 2009, 12:19
Dear jonas21,

the R01 specified tire is a special developed tire for the Audi RS6 (4F), correct. It consists of a different rubber compound and a more stiff sidewall.

The MSRP is the same as the regular tire, no extra charge.

Qisha

Ricoloco
April 30th, 2009, 13:17
Thanx, good to know. MTM wants these tyres on the car to change the top speed to 340km/h. Otherwise they want you to sign a contract...

Qisha
April 30th, 2009, 13:33
Dear Ricoloco,

this is due to the fact Pirelli is the only manufacturer that guarantees (is liable for all risks) and this speed level for exactly this tire (R01 spec).

Qisha

jonas21
April 30th, 2009, 15:36
Qisha,

thanks for clarification. Btw Pirelli offers top speed 370km/h on any of the P Zero 275/35 XL 102Y.
I found out there is also a BB (bently) and RR (rolls royce) spec of this tyre.

DuckWingDuck
April 30th, 2009, 18:27
damn 102Y? Crazy!

DHall1
April 30th, 2009, 18:37
I would give my left kidney for a new RS6 Avant.

How in the world can we get one of these in the US.

Hell, keep raising my taxes and I may move over there. Haha

damn 102Y? Crazy!

mdk
May 1st, 2009, 04:47
These tyres are made exclusivly for Audi and Audi only sells these.
Jonas,
What you were told is not 100% true. R01 spec pirelli (or dunlop or michelin; these are the only three makers producing specific tires for the C6 RS6, to the moment) is available from any tire dealer. No need to purchase them from AUDI "pharmacy store" :)

Pirelli P zero R01 might not be different from the normal one but dunlop winter 3D (275/35/20 102W - R01) which I've got few months ago is different from the one without R01 spec!

jonas21
May 1st, 2009, 07:42
Jonas,
What you were told is not 100% true. R01 spec pirelli (or dunlop or michelin; these are the only three makers producing specific tires for the C6 RS6, to the moment) is available from any tire dealer. No need to purchase them from AUDI "pharmacy store" :)

Pirelli P zero R01 might not be different from the normal one but dunlop winter 3D (275/35/20 102W - R01) which I've got few months ago is different from the one without R01 spec!

You got that wrong...i ment Audi only sells the R01 version and not the normal one. Of course you can buy the R01 version at any tyre dealer, too.

Mr Balsen
May 1st, 2009, 07:53
Thanx, good to know. MTM wants these tyres on the car to change the top speed to 340km/h. Otherwise they want you to sign a contract...

Or MTM reduce the top speed based on the tires installed on the car...

But so far, at least France, customer changed the tires in order to get the 340 km/h limit ! ! ! !

Frederic