PDA

View Full Version : RS6 longevity questions

upod1mm
April 27th, 2009, 17:06
just started looking at the rs6, and I am wondering at what mileage should I stay under. I would like to get into one for as little as possible, and don’t mind working on the car a bit, but some cars are a bad deal at any price at a certain amount of miles. Also, how long are the turbos lasting?

Thanks for the help!:rs6kiss:

DHall1
April 27th, 2009, 20:19
Search is your friend.

This car is fantastic at any mileage. Zero problems with turbos.

DRC...there all getting fixed.

We have seen several cars well over 100k miles and I think there was one at 180k.

DuckWingDuck
April 27th, 2009, 20:24
I think mine's leaking oil....

DHall1
April 27th, 2009, 20:29
your turbo?

Did you get the squirt can out again?

:eye:

I think mine's leaking oil....

LIRS6
April 27th, 2009, 21:00
just started looking at the rs6, and I am wondering at what mileage should I stay under. I would like to get into one for as little as possible, and don’t mind working on the car a bit, but some cars are a bad deal at any price at a certain amount of miles. Also, how long are the turbos lasting?

There was one recent comment of a cracked turbo, but that is the exception to the rule IMO. The primary issues with this car are the DRC suspension (which Audi says they will repair in the US), the torque converter and transmission.

My suggestion would be to get some quotes for extended warranties, and budget that into any car that you are considering to purchase; you are not going to find it easy to work on this car.

DuckWingDuck
April 27th, 2009, 22:01
your turbo?

Did you get the squirt can out again?

Just working on the story. Heh. kidding!! Although the other morning I was pulling out and I did notice a little bit of what appears to be fresh oil on the ground.

MaxRS6
April 27th, 2009, 22:07
Prior to that I had not tracked the car and I had all scheduled service done meticously at the dealer. Like earlier posted, I seem to be one of the exceptions with the turbo issue.

Cam adjuster went out at 95K. Like others mentioned, DRC and be prepared for normal hi-performance maintenance such as tires every 15K, rotors and brakes routinely, and the many mentioned timing belt maintenance every 40K.

I am at 106K presently. With the extensive rebuilding year I had in 2008 & early 2009 that included two turbos, DRC 5 times, KW installed ripping out the DRC, StaSis Alcon BBK, APR fine tuning, Cam adjuster, multiple valve and gasket seals, BBS wheels, the car is now actually performing great. It is a blast to drive and the room it provides for the "family" times is great.

Get a solid warranty, put some bucks aside for the maintenance and out of warranty items, and have fun with a very unique ride (5 years and I have not seen another RS6 on the road except at an Audi driving event. I still get plenty of comments of "What a nice car" and "It goes how fast??". LOL

DuckWingDuck
April 27th, 2009, 22:28
drc - tq/transmission - engine - turbo

These seems to be the big ticket items and in order of "breakability."

DHall1
April 28th, 2009, 01:11
Nothing a squirt can of oil and a good monkey wrench couldnt fix. I got some 2 by 4 ramps nailed up to use as a lift. Or sometimes we just drive up on the curb with 2 tires. Pretty much all the room you need under there.

DuckWingDuck
April 28th, 2009, 04:31
ya, i should look into that but also, I think I might have put in a little too much brake fluid. Is there an easy way to drain some of it out?

p3u
April 28th, 2009, 04:38
I asked this question a while back, and someone posted an RS6 with over 200k miles on it!

snoopra
April 28th, 2009, 07:30
ya, i should look into that but also, I think I might have put in a little too much brake fluid. Is there an easy way to drain some of it out?
Mini turkey baster:D

DuckWingDuck
April 28th, 2009, 18:40
Mini turkey baster:D

Ya, that's what I'm thinking too, some sort of suction device. Okay, gotta go pick up one of those.

ini
April 30th, 2009, 02:33
newbie in so cal....been a luker for a while...
pretty much stumbled upon this beast..
Just today turned this....took a picture and bam....
my first post with picture
I finally found a thread that i can earn respect in
:)
http://rs6.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=96

ini
April 30th, 2009, 02:35
same here...mines at the dealer now...
going down in 30 minutes run the engine dye...
keep you posted.

DuckWingDuck
April 30th, 2009, 05:54
welcome! And +1 on the mileage! Did you buy the grey one from Audi MV?

R1
June 13th, 2009, 16:49
is that you miles at the time picture was taken

111,111 :)

newbie in so cal....been a luker for a while...
pretty much stumbled upon this beast..
Just today turned this....took a picture and bam....
my first post with picture
I finally found a thread that i can earn respect in
:)
http://rs6.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=96