PDA

View Full Version : Will removing the sound insulation from the hood help keep heat down in engine bay?

p3u
April 23rd, 2009, 23:55
I have been thinking of remiving this from my car, if it would help keep the bay a few degrees cooler, since it acts like a blinket on the engine.

Anyone do this or any thoughts on removing?

Thanks!

DHall1
April 24th, 2009, 01:54
Well, it would allow more heat to escape up. The only problem is you may cook the paint on your hood.

Fonzie Audi
April 24th, 2009, 14:01
that pad is for sound insulation?? i thought it was just a heat shield. if i don't transfer it on my new hood, is it going to be much louder without it? (vents will let heat out so avoid cooking paint)

SAF
April 24th, 2009, 18:20
I can't imagine the paint surface getting any hotter than it already does when running the engine full steam and then parking it in the Texas sun. THAT'S HOT!

p3u
April 24th, 2009, 18:23
I ended up taking it off, hopefully its good for a degree or two of cooling. :jlol:

I cant imagine it cracking the paint, I actually did the same on my stage 3 B5, no issues.

I can hear the engine a bit more now, not much of a differance, but I like to hear my motor purr. :rs6kiss:

HeadShot
April 28th, 2009, 16:32
when i cut my blanket to fit the hood vents the area that was exposed did get extremely hot. I went with a heat shield material from Jegs (the self adhesive) and that worked really well - its very thin.

I think its a risk to cook the paint that i wasn't willing to take but that point about the Texas sun is a good one.... HOT!!! 50/50 on the issue i guess.

Clubsport
April 28th, 2009, 17:51
Well, it would allow more heat to escape up. The only problem is you may cook the paint on your hood.

No way, my car hasn't any insulation under the hood for 4 years, it lived in Dubaļ for 2 years and the paint is perfect.:thumb: