PDA

View Full Version : So does anyone actually offer a hood for our beasts or still custom only?

p3u
April 21st, 2009, 04:21
I really want to get a vented hood to keep it cool with the boost I want to run, but no one seems to respond or know anything about this product.

Anyone able to help or steer in the right direction?

Thanks! :rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
April 21st, 2009, 04:40
I think it's all custom.

DHall1
April 21st, 2009, 04:44
I would take all the information and templates from Headshot above and walk into a local quality body shop.

Here, here and here. Hood, templates and money.

Unless there is something wrong with the design. I dont see any problem. Its just a matter of money and time.

Fonzie Audi
April 21st, 2009, 14:26
i'm doing a custom - it's actually in paint right now. It's kind of a mix between Mr Balsen and MTM's design.. but simplified. I just needed to get the hot Florida air out of the hood ASAP. it should be installed this week.

RS6-4dr911
April 21st, 2009, 15:24
My personal favorites are the Vorsteiner ones for the M6 (http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/6Series/E63-Vented-Hood.aspx#) but I've already checked with them and they do not sell the vents separately.

IMHO, the ones by Headshot may be effective and nicely executed but the styling lines are not in congruence with the rest of the car. MTM's are just too radical for a street car and the stealth approach of the typical RS6 driver. The MTM RS4 vents aren't too bad though but I don't think they sell those separately either. Let us know what you end up with.

Mr Balsen
April 21st, 2009, 16:48
p3u,

I can only recommend Custom. From a money point of view, there is nothing better....
I will measure mine and put a drawing on my web site....

Frederic

DuckWingDuck
April 21st, 2009, 18:38
My personal favorites are the Vorsteiner ones for the M6 (http://www.vorsteiner.com/bmw/6Series/E63-Vented-Hood.aspx#) but I've already checked with them and they do not sell the vents separately.

IMHO, the ones by Headshot may be effective and nicely executed but the styling lines are not in congruence with the rest of the car. MTM's are just too radical for a street car and the stealth approach of the typical RS6 driver. The MTM RS4 vents aren't too bad though but I don't think they sell those separately either. Let us know what you end up with.

Those M6 vents look so small... does it do much at all?

DHall1
April 21st, 2009, 18:50
I know we all have opinions on this.

IMHO

If it ever came to a point of me putting holes in my hood. I would not do it for the styling or "look".

I would put the holes or vent where they would do the most good for the problem that needed to be solved. Period.

Its very interesting that Headshots vents look somewhat similar to the MTM vents. HS vents and pictures came out before MTM were pictured. So, what we have is this....two very smart people came up with similar designs to solve a particular problem. Are these guys on the right track?

YES

Now back to your normally scheduled program about looks and what would look the best.

Fonzie Audi
April 21st, 2009, 20:43
D- you're right on track man. I made a custom hood not to look good,, but to mimic the placement of the MTM vents - because i know they work.

p3u
April 21st, 2009, 23:24
p3u,

I can only recommend Custom. From a money point of view, there is nothing better....
I will measure mine and put a drawing on my web site....

Frederic

That would be great!

Do you offer this modification at your shop? I don't know if you are will but I would love to purchase one of your hoods!

TaTaPiRaTa
November 16th, 2011, 19:19
Hi Mr Balsen!

Can you please post a link to that draving of your vents ?

Brav
November 16th, 2011, 23:28
I could get a hood made, but would need probably min 5-10 people to commit.. composit hood, CF vents. Made By Vorsteiner.. dry vacuum bagged prepreg. no wet lay BS.

Last time I checked, wasnt enough people to put a deposit down to make it.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22352-Bumpers-Hood-Spoiler-for-sale-soon.....?p=210528&viewfull=1#post210528

yokust
November 17th, 2011, 00:24
What was the cost per person/hood?

Brav
November 17th, 2011, 21:50
I forget.. but I have a meeting with the owner once he gets back from a business trip to go over the design, minimum order, pricing, etc. Will advice once I get it figured out. I am hoping to have the minimum be 5, maybe 8. With small deposit, we can get it going.

Hammer
November 18th, 2011, 06:27
Sounds good. Keep me posted Brav......

Rick