PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Engine Removal guide needed

snoopra
April 20th, 2009, 03:12
I need a detailed engine removal guide so I can move ahead with my trans upgrade. I may also do the blouch turbo upgrade. Any and all help/comments/suggestions welcome.

terrytcl
April 20th, 2009, 16:17
who's doing your trans upgrade?

snoopra
April 20th, 2009, 23:08
IPT in Jersey.

BLITZEN
April 21st, 2009, 00:22
You're not going to get many tech hands on this board. I tried to look up what I thought would be a pretty simple procedure, how to replace a fuel filter, and couldn't find anything!

hahnmgh63
April 21st, 2009, 00:39
The Bentley pretty crummy for many things. I think it will be mostly trial and error. I would try to drop as much of it in one package, engine, tranny and all accessories that will drop from the bottom together. It will be best to unhook the A/C compressor so you don't have to break the system. Just look at it from on top and decide what can fit through the bottom hole in a package. You will have to remove all of the upper trim and air filter assembly to get at the necessary hoses and electrical connections.
I plan on doing mine next year for the timing belt, downpipes, and tranny upgrades too. I'll do all of the O2 & EGT sensors and most of the hoses at the same time. Let us know what you decide. I would say a lift is a must and probably more than one jack from the bottom. I have a Snowmobile/motorcycle jack/lift that I'll use under the engine and a tranny jack under the transmission. I have a 4 post lift in my shop and I think I'll probably just get the engine/transmission supported with these jacks and lift the car up around them, very slowly and a little at a time with two sets of eyes to make sure nothing is forgotten. I can do a 911 motor/transmission in 1.5 hours by myself, the RS6 will definitely take longer. More accessories and heavier. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2009, 03:04
Yeah, Grizz also suggested drop out removal is "easy". I guess I'll just stop being "chicken" and rip her apart! Will post detailed pics during project.

terrytcl
April 22nd, 2009, 14:04
are you planning on dropping the subframe with engine/trans/suspension?

or just removing items one by one?

the bently does slightly describe what's needed to remove things one by one, but not as a subframe as a whole.

if you're planning on dropping the subframe, here's what i think need to be disconnected -

1) intake air ducts
2) rear driveshaft
3) exhaust
4) main engine wire harness to ecu
5) a/c lines (at least disconnect compressor to condenser / dryer)
6) coolant hoses to radiator and to heater core
7) oil and trans cooler lines
8) trans shift linkage
9) steering linkage - maybe disconnect steering wheel input to rack
10) brake lines from rotors to hardline
11) fuel lines
12) emission lines (to and from purge valve)
13) air pump lines (to engine)
14) intercoolers
15) DRC shock lines from hardline
16) remove all of the connectors from the firewall
17) remove the 3 nuts that secure the struts to the strut tower on each side of the vehicle
18) remove subframe bolts. i think there are 4 main ones, with 2 supporting brackets towards the rear. these have smaller bolts.

that's all i can think of right now.
i would think it'll be easier if you removed the top radiator support, removed the radiator, condenser, and the fans... it should show you all of the connections from the chassis to the subframe.

i think the hardest disconnect will be the steering linkage.

terrytcl
April 22nd, 2009, 14:09
let us know how the IPT rework goes.

i'm thinking about IPT also.

snoopra
April 22nd, 2009, 21:51
Thanks for the writeup terrytcl, I may just drop the subframe and try not to disconnect A/C lines (just remove from engine). I'm hoping to do the UK custom code with MAX acceleration/torque (my "highway" is only 10 miles long). Grizz also said they're working on a custom tune to deal with the MAF issues the RS sometimes encounter.

terrytcl
April 23rd, 2009, 15:31
if you can get the a/c system decompressed...

it maybe easier to remove the lines and plug them with some plastic caps and plugs.

are you also getting your TC reworked?

how long will the rebuild take?

p3u
April 23rd, 2009, 15:55
Thanks for the writeup terrytcl, I may just drop the subframe and try not to disconnect A/C lines (just remove from engine). I'm hoping to do the UK custom code with MAX acceleration/torque (my "highway" is only 10 miles long). Grizz also said they're working on a custom tune to deal with the MAF issues the RS sometimes encounter.

Could you go into more detail about the MAF issues you are refering too? Mine are bad so I am curious to see if there is more to this problem.

Good luck with your tranny!

snoopra
April 25th, 2009, 03:08
I'm not depressuring the A/C, just removing compressor from engine. The MAF's go bad regularly, according to the chaps on UK forums. They're working on a program to bypass that signal. (I think:))

DHall1
April 25th, 2009, 03:56
I would not be a fan of speed density calcs for the beast.

I will take my chances with the MAFs

I'm not depressuring the A/C, just removing compressor from engine. The MAF's go bad regularly, according to the chaps on UK forums. They're working on a program to bypass that signal. (I think:))