PDA

View Full Version : Rear view mirror felt down

vangelis
April 19th, 2009, 08:14
Hi guys, today morning I found the rear view mirror felt down on the front seat,, the main base which is sticked to the windshield is felt down and tried to stick it back but again felt down. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the whole windshield needs to be replaced. They have seen that problem with some customers before and tried to use glow but at the same time or max by end of the day again will fall down.
The cost of a new windshield with labor will be around $500USD. Is there any way to fix this or shall I go for a new windshield especially with the amount of the heat here in Middle East?

snoopra
April 19th, 2009, 15:38
Replace windshield for rearview mirror? Never heard that before. Heat is the main cause. You should be able to have it reconnected at a windshield specialty shop.

V8weight
April 19th, 2009, 16:19
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Maintenance/Rearview_Mirror_Adhesive/
You can glue it back on, I do this at work on a daily basis. you first have to remove the metal tab from the mirror assembly, then take a razor blade and clean the back side of the tab, and the windshield as well. both surfaces have to be extremely clean and free of any old adhesive. Use rubbing alcohol to degrease the surface. Then apply the activator to the windshield and a drop of adhesive to the metal tab. You have to let the product flash for a few minutes before applying the tab. Then apply the tab and put a piece of masking tape over it to hold it in place. You can reattach the mirror the following morning to be safe. I've done this hundreds of times and never had one fail. It's worth a try before spending that kind of money on a windshield.

SAF
April 19th, 2009, 21:44
Hi guys, today morning I found the rear view mirror felt down on the front seat,, the main base which is sticked to the windshield is felt down and tried to stick it back but again felt down. I took it to the dealer and they told me that the whole windshield needs to be replaced. They have seen that problem with some customers before and tried to use glow but at the same time or max by end of the day again will fall down.
The cost of a new windshield with labor will be around $500USD. Is there any way to fix this or shall I go for a new windshield especially with the amount of the heat here in Middle East?

Tell your dealer to sit on that sales pitch and spin.