PDA

View Full Version : "Can the new S4 oversteer?" (DR)

Michaël Barbé
April 18th, 2009, 11:49
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/

Very good comment on this brilliant S-car.

MB
:rs6kiss:

Kliko
April 18th, 2009, 12:11
But I think it is still very hard for a normal driver(non-pro) to oversteer this thing :D:D

kju
April 18th, 2009, 16:50
But I think it is still very hard for a normal driver(non-pro) to oversteer this thing :D:D

yeah for 99% it still will be impossible...

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2009, 09:08
It can oversteer on demand but you can't approach it in the same matter as a true rear wheel drive car like the M3, there is still more weight as the front to overcome and the only way you get proper oversteer is to treat it like a fwd. Once you have mastered that (as Chris showed), the oversteer is there for the taking.

What's required is either a bit more weight shifting to the rear to balance things out or the torque split to be even more rear bias (30/70). Apart form that it's a cracking car and much better than any of the competition in either Avant or saloon form.

P.S.

He did seem to be impressed with both the engine and the new S/tronic gearbox which is a good sign for the RS5.

Erik
April 19th, 2009, 12:59
Nice footage at the end! :D

crespo
April 20th, 2009, 19:41
It can oversteer on demand but you can't approach it in the same matter as a true rear wheel drive car like the M3, there is still more weight as the front to overcome and the only way you get proper oversteer is to treat it like a fwd. Once you have mastered that (as Chris showed), the oversteer is there for the taking.

What's required is either a bit more weight shifting to the rear to balance things out or the torque split to be even more rear bias (30/70). Apart form that it's a cracking car and much better than any of the competition in either Avant or saloon form.

P.S.

He did seem to be impressed with both the engine and the new S/tronic gearbox which is a good sign for the RS5.You're correct on that it should be treated more like a FWD car, but you're wrong on the weight shifting. If you want to bring about oversteer in a FWD car, you need to shift the weight *forward* on turn-in so that the front end bites and traction at the rear is reduced (you can do this by either being very aggressive with the wheel on turn-in, lifting off the throttle if desired, or by turning in while still braking for the corner when the weight is still on the front wheels, or trail-braking aggressively). This causes the rear to begin to come around and THEN you can take advantage of the diff and use the throttle to bring the rear about even more.

You are correct, though, in that more rear bias with the quattro would help. And I too am glad he likes the car. Says many things about what the RS5 could bring to the table.

(BTW, I would say this is more "oversteer simulation" than real oversteer. If you can't oversteer with the throttle alone, it shouldn't be called real oversteer).

(I still love this S4).

crespo
April 20th, 2009, 19:45
Just re-read what you said and realized you may not have meant rearward weight balance shift in the driving sense, but within the car itself. If that's the case, then you're also correct :D

tailpipe
April 20th, 2009, 20:21
You're correct on that it should be treated more like a FWD car, but you're wrong on the weight shifting. If you want to bring about oversteer in a FWD car, you need to shift the weight *forward* on turn-in so that the front end bites and traction at the rear is reduced (you can do this by either being very aggressive with the wheel on turn-in, lifting off the throttle if desired, or by turning in while still braking for the corner when the weight is still on the front wheels, or trail-braking aggressively). This causes the rear to begin to come around and THEN you can take advantage of the diff and use the throttle to bring the rear about even more.

You are correct, though, in that more rear bias with the quattro would help. And I too am glad he likes the car. Says many things about what the RS5 could bring to the table.

(BTW, I would say this is more "oversteer simulation" than real oversteer. If you can't oversteer with the throttle alone, it shouldn't be called real oversteer).

(I still love this S4).

Nice post. Yes, i saw the DR review and thought it was particularly impressive; )that's the car not the Steve). I get annoyed that the ride quality of the S4 has been criticised by other journalists. It seems as if the set up is much more flexible than that of C63 and M3. Anyone actually driven one yet?

crespo
April 20th, 2009, 20:27
I'm now pretty sure I want to trade my A5 up to the 3.0T S5 as soon as that's available here (dominican republic). That wonderful drivetrain clothed in the 5's body should be fantastic. (edit: plus a few mods to bring it up past 400HP :D)

tailpipe
April 20th, 2009, 21:11
I am very much looking forward to reading a comparison of the new S4 versus the last RS4. i suspect that the RS4 may still have an edge, but maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to be.

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2009, 22:29
I am very much looking forward to reading a comparison of the new S4 versus the last RS4. i suspect that the RS4 may still have an edge, but maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to be.

You are just saying what I have also been thinking since those first reviews surfaced.

April 23rd, 2009, 12:33
"turbocharged V6" ? From where they took turbo?

Leadfoot
April 23rd, 2009, 15:03
Just re-read what you said and realized you may not have meant rearward weight balance shift in the driving sense, but within the car itself. If that's the case, then you're also correct :D

Yeah that was exactly what I meant. :cheers:

crespo
April 23rd, 2009, 15:54
"turbocharged V6" ? From where they took turbo?
From the "T", no doubt. A lot of people will think that, and even jouirnalists will probably slip up on that one every once in a while..

Yeah that was exactly what I meant. :cheers:
:cheers: