PDA

View Full Version : discussed swapping to manual tranny with my tech.

peiserg
April 17th, 2009, 03:35
He has done audi work for a long long time. He said "all you would need" is a salvage title allroad, and then the hardest part would be fabbing an adapter for the transmission. That would certainly be doable. He said the allroad and rs6 have a large amount of body parts that match exactly, so the stuff like clutch, stick shift, etc, already have holes available in the body and chassis. He also mentioned the allroad trannies are "very stout." Meaning... you could push an assload of power through them and stop worrying about torque converters etc..

Other thing we discussed.. oil cooler. he said the rs6 already has one, but if i want to put a larger on on, it would be pretty straightforward, as the lines are already run up to the front of the car from the tranny. He took measurements and was going to try to source a front mount heat exchanger for me, whereupon we would discuss labor prices... he guessed 8 hours.

DHall1
April 17th, 2009, 15:27
Hey,

So, you would buy a wrecked AR and use the parts needed? If you solve the interface for the flywheel and 4.2tt crankshaft. You will have something.

I will take the AR shell when your done. :hahahehe: for my little long term project.

Avant RS6

allwheelsdriven
April 17th, 2009, 16:27
sounds promising :)

ben916
April 17th, 2009, 18:04
What is that saying????

More time than money..... or is it the other way around?

Good luck on your project. It would be wicked to see it ripping around a track...

snoopra
April 17th, 2009, 18:09
There's also the many issues with the ECU/TCU programming. You may need to contact Champion Audi or MTM and see if they're willing to share/sell some building info. Good Luck on this project and keep us informed.:rs6kiss:

Mihnea@MRC
April 18th, 2009, 15:25
Electronics would be your most major issue. We're doing this on our own and have it 99% figured out without looking at anyone else's work on this, and it's definitely NOT as easy and straightforward to do as some people seem to think.

p3u
April 18th, 2009, 17:24
Mihnea@MRC,

Do you offer this yet for purchase? If so what are we talking about with cost?

Thanks!

Clubsport
April 18th, 2009, 17:44
If you solve the interface for the flywheel and 4.2tt crankshaft.

i think the only way to solve that problem is to put a S6 crankshaft in the rs6 engine.

Mihnea@MRC
April 18th, 2009, 18:08
i think the only way to solve that problem is to put a S6 crankshaft in the rs6 engine.

Not necessarily ;)

@p3u: the only problem with the cost of this upgrade would be the fact that you're in Colorado, and our workshops are in Britain and France.... shipping would kill you, as we do need the whole car, we can't just ship you a box of parts for you to have installed by your favorite tech...

Clubsport
April 18th, 2009, 18:28
Not necessarily ;)

you can also produce a flywheel.....:mech:

p3u
April 18th, 2009, 19:46
Not necessarily ;)

@p3u: the only problem with the cost of this upgrade would be the fact that you're in Colorado, and our workshops are in Britain and France.... shipping would kill you, as we do need the whole car, we can't just ship you a box of parts for you to have installed by your favorite tech...

That stinks!

If I did live in Europe, which I might in the future, how much are we talking about? PM me if needed.

Thanks!

Mr Balsen
April 18th, 2009, 22:08

except your car does not have an RS6 engine....

Frederic

peiserg
April 19th, 2009, 00:02
would it really be that hard to mate it up? I have an old landcruiser, and there are tons and tons of people that do chevy 350,302, 289, 426 etc etc swaps, either using the stock toyota tranny or whatever they please.. there seems to be no shortage of people that make adapters for that application... I would think a call to a machine shop would do it?

snoopra
April 19th, 2009, 00:55
Quick question. If both cars have the same HP/torque, wouldn't the AUTO be quicker/faster that the manual trans?