PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Test Drive on a Rain-Soaked Easter

allwheelsdriven
April 13th, 2009, 03:35
In my ongoing awd car search, I went for a RS4 test drive today. Black/black with 20,000 miles and they want around 50 for it.

Nice amt of power but not the electric delivery of the RS6. I liked the 6sp manual but really prefer the paddles on the RS6. Kinda sloppy handling, light steering, exhaust note wasnt as compelling as I have read. Given I am coming from a throaty boxer rumble which I really like. Seats are amazing...nice gauge layout.

It was raining, of course, and i managed to break the rear end loose on a curvy road, corrected it and promised to not do that again :nono:

Nailed the throttle on an wet straight onramp and the rear got squirrelly for a second, kind of unnerving. Back at the shop, I felt the rear tires and they were pretty much gone so I guess thats the cause.

Surprisingly, I was happy to get back in my STI. I think having european coilovers on stiff, 29mm front and rear bars is my preference as far as body roll goes.

It just seems that if one is going to go the route of the v8 Audi, the RS6 is the way to go although I would like to try another sometime soon just to confirm.

OfftheHeZie
April 13th, 2009, 12:04
The RS4's torque distribution is setup to handle similar to a RWD sports car(40/60, with 100% able to go to rear axle). So if the tail coming out momentarily is unnerving, the RS6 would be the way to go(I believe the RS6 is more conservative - C5). However, the C6 RS6 uses the same setup as B7 RS4.

Yes, as you say, no rear tread in the wet would hurt.

The RS6's more electric delivery is due to a massive torque advantage and less work for you around the gear shift. :D

~Mason

allwheelsdriven
April 13th, 2009, 23:45
makes sense...i think the rear tires being shot really didnt help. I'm quite comfortable with my sti going sideways but this was a test drive I didnt own...